Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2006   #1
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot
Thumbs up Thoughts on Quinton Porter?

Curious on thoughts of Porter last week against KC. For his 1st time in the NFL. He looked pretty good going 4/4 on his only drive. Threw to 3 different Wr's.He also looked accurate with his passes.I know it was against 3rd and
4th string D. But so was his O-Line and WR's. He looks real mature driving the team down the field. Looks like Kub has an eye for QB talent!
Old 08-23-2006   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sold on Kubiak. I thought Porter....suk'd in college, but he seems to be playing well now.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #3
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Yes Quinton did look good, it will be a toss between him and Cody on Spet. 2nd, I believe it will come down to the second cut before they make a solid decision on the 3rd spot, Sage is a gimmie for 2nd.......
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #4
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 3rd QB?

I still don't know if Kubiak will keep 3 QBs or just 2. I heard somewhere, but I don't recall where (senior moment), that Kubes plans on keeping the 53 best players he thinks will help them win. I take that to mean he is going to pick players, regardless of position, that would normally only make the PS or possibly cut, but they're good on ST. In other words, instead of having a 3rd QB standing around all the time, he might carry an extra RB or LB that he knows is good on ST. This is just an example. It could be any number of positions that they evaluate this way, although 3rd string QB seems to be one of the most obvious positions.

As for Porter, I think one of three things will happen, and alot is depending on how, or even if, Pickett plays.

#1 Pickett gets to play and he does great. Texans decide to keep him as 3rd QB and put Porter on PS.

#2 Pickett gets to play and does poorly or maybe never gets to play. Texans decide to cut Pickett and make Porter their 3rd QB.

#3 Texans decide to go with only 2 QBs, cut Pickett and put Porter on PS.

There might be more scenarios, but one of these three I think is most likely to play out. And I think it will be #3. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #5
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I was definetly not a fan of his during his college career, but he's coming into this system and he's making sound judgement and good throws.

I would like to see what Cody Pickett does, if he does well then as mentioned before he'll probably be put on the PS..

It all doesn't matter to me I'm comfortable with our 1 and 2 spot at the QB position.
Old 08-24-2006   #6
gooneybird
Rookie

Default Practice Squad

IMO, if they keep a third quarterback, it will be on the Practice squad. Porter is the only QB that fits within the rules for the practice squad.
gooneybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooneybird
IMO, if they keep a third quarterback, it will be on the Practice squad. Porter is the only QB that fits within the rules for the practice squad.
True, I'm still trying to figure out why we gave a #7 pick for Pickett. He hasn't even touched the field yet. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.
Old 08-24-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
True, I'm still trying to figure out why we gave a #7 pick for Pickett. He hasn't even touched the field yet. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.
We only give up the pick if he makes the team.
Old 08-24-2006   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
We only give up the pick if he makes the team.
Ah, Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-24-2006   #10
Codger
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Quinton has been at all of the camps during the summer, and he knows the offense. Pickett came in on the first week and had to learn the offense. It is common sense that Porter got first shot in the pre-season while Pickett was still picking up the offense. I want to see Pickett play before picking any 3rd QB, but it may not matter if they are keeping only two.
Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #11
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop
I still don't know if Kubiak will keep 3 QBs or just 2. I heard somewhere, but I don't recall where (senior moment), that Kubes plans on keeping the 53 best players he thinks will help them win. I take that to mean he is going to pick players, regardless of position, that would normally only make the PS or possibly cut, but they're good on ST. In other words, instead of having a 3rd QB standing around all the time, he might carry an extra RB or LB that he knows is good on ST. This is just an example. It could be any number of positions that they evaluate this way, although 3rd string QB seems to be one of the most obvious positions.

As for Porter, I think one of three things will happen, and alot is depending on how, or even if, Pickett plays.

#1 Pickett gets to play and he does great. Texans decide to keep him as 3rd QB and put Porter on PS.

#2 Pickett gets to play and does poorly or maybe never gets to play. Texans decide to cut Pickett and make Porter their 3rd QB.

#3 Texans decide to go with only 2 QBs, cut Pickett and put Porter on PS.

There might be more scenarios, but one of these three I think is most likely to play out. And I think it will be #3. JMHO!
Great Post, that will make a difference if we only have 2 QB's on the Roster, it would be nice to have an extra RB or LB around just in case on injury early in the season..........
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read