Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2006   #1
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Rosenfels able to give Carr a necessary push

not to make a gazzillionth QB post (mods, merge if you want) - but Lopez actually wrote a good commentary that could almost sum up both sides of the arguement quite nicely on the boards recently...

Quote:
...Sure, the Texans have more than a financial interest in Carr becoming everything they've hoped he would. They're pulling for him. They're invested emotionally in him.

But if backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels could get this franchise where it wants to go more quickly and efficiently, neither Kubiak nor McNair would blink....

....Today, Carr is the starting quarterback because he has earned it. But Rosenfels' strong camp and solid preseason efforts have offered Kubiak confidence in the backup and kept the pressure on Carr....

..."(Rosenfels) has got starter ability," Kubiak said. "All the players gravitate toward him, and that's great. It's great for the team. It's great for David. It pushes David every day, and that's why we went and got him."

And the result, said Kubiak: "No buts. David's our starting quarterback. He has to hold up his end of the bargain. When there's a play he's got to make, he's got to make it."...

...If Carr weren't showing the improvement and confidence the Texans need, Kubiak would not hesitate to say so publicly, as he has done with 2005 No. 1 pick Travis Johnson and others. And any move Kubiak would make certainly would be supported by McNair, who announced before camp: "I don't care how much money you make or where you were drafted. If you don't fit in, you'll get cut."

This Sunday in Denver, Carr will get three quarters of work with the first-team offense. It will be the best glimpse yet of his and the unit's development....
J. Lopez 8/23/06
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair, who announced before camp: "I don't care how much money you make or where you were drafted. If you don't fit in, you'll get cut."

I love McNair
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #3
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

This should (but will not) put the Carr debate to rest until at least into the regular season. I enjoyed the article earlier today. Carr is the QB. Kubes wants and thinks he can do better. Carr wants & thinks he can do better. All Texan fans want him to do better and should allow the player & the coach to do their jobs. I think it is ok to criticize anyone, but facts must play a stronger role than emotions.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I for one am really looking forward to the Denver game. Three quarters against an elite NFL team ... this will be an opportunity to get a much stronger feel for just how good we are or aren't.
Old 08-23-2006   #5
real

I agree...Facts should play a stronger role, and all I want is the best QB on the field...IMO, right now Sage is better..period....I really and truly hope that Carr can turn into a beast because that would make us so much more complete, and to have Sage behind him would be even better...
Old 08-23-2006   #6
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I agree...Facts should play a stronger role, and all I want is the best QB on the field...IMO, right now Sage is better..period....I really and truly hope that Carr can turn into a beast because that would make us so much more complete, and to have Sage behind him would be even better...
I agree with you except on who is best. Carr should play 3 quarters Sunday & Sage most of the 4th game. We will know more then. I agree we need two strong QBs and a third training.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #7
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer
Default David vs. Sage

I am a fan of David Carr, but unfortunately I don't believe that this controversy will last very long. If the Texans can patch together a secondary to make the team more competitive, Rosenfels may prove to be the difference in being able to execute, score and win.

What will be interesting is to see if David struggles in what appears to be a winnable game, and Kubiak subs Sage to try to get the win. My guess is that this will happen in game 1 against a decent but beatable team in the Eagles.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2006   #8
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

"but facts must play a stronger role than emotions."

I hope 'everyone' understands this--- 'facts', not 'potential' or the 'past.'
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
"but facts must play a stronger role than emotions."

I hope 'everyone' understands this--- 'facts', not 'potential' or the 'past.'
Potential goes in the facts pile more than the emotion pile. Once it looks like the potential can't be realized, then it goes over to emotion and the QB gets benched. Right now Kubiak still sees the potential.
Old 08-23-2006   #10
Divebomb
Veteran

I thought bringing in Sage was a joke at first but Kubiak was on the money with that guy. If he says he can win with Carr then i say we give him a chance. I will not complain if they yank Carr midseason if the is stinking it up because I know we have a great backup. Lots of positives for this year!
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
not to make a gazzillionth QB post (mods, merge if you want) - but Lopez actually wrote a good commentary that could almost sum up both sides of the arguement quite nicely on the boards recently...

J. Lopez 8/23/06
Sounds like what a lot of us have said, Kubiak will put the best 11 on the field. I am anxious to see the game this week with Denver, and get a good long look at the first string.

Nothing really to debate at this point, let the preseason run its course and the coaching staff will do what is right for the team.
Old 08-23-2006   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I for one am really looking forward to the Denver game. Three quarters against an elite NFL team ... this will be an opportunity to get a much stronger feel for just how good we are or aren't.
Unless Denver puts in their 2nd and 3rd string players after the first quarter
Old 08-23-2006   #13
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB75
I am a fan of David Carr, but unfortunately I don't believe that this controversy will last very long. If the Texans can patch together a secondary to make the team more competitive, Rosenfels may prove to be the difference in being able to execute, score and win.

What will be interesting is to see if David struggles in what appears to be a winnable game, and Kubiak subs Sage to try to get the win. My guess is that this will happen in game 1 against a decent but beatable team in the Eagles.
I don't know if it will happen that soon, but my gut tells me that he will be taken out some time this year...
Old 08-23-2006   #14
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping Carr gets it together BUT what is going to be said next week if Sunday night he doesn't "execute" and then Sage goes in in the late third quater or forth quarter and brings a come back..

Qtr Texans Denver
1-----0 ------ 7
2----- 3 ------ 17
3 ----- 6 ------ 24
4 ----- 30 ----- 27
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric138
I'm hoping Carr gets it together BUT what is going to be said next week if Sunday night he doesn't "execute" and then Sage goes in in the late third quater or forth quarter and brings a come back..

Qtr Texans Denver
1-----0 ------ 7
2----- 3 ------ 17
3 ----- 6 ------ 24
4 ----- 30 ----- 27
ha ha...
Old 08-23-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB75

If Kubiak is the man we think he is, we'll loose the Philly game before he pulls Carr. Yeah we are going to win some games this year, but Pulling Carr will hurt us more than loosing that game, or the next three, in the long run. Above all else, Carr has got to know that Kubiak is in his corner, and pulling him out of a game so we can try to get a win is the wrong way to go to try to instill that message.

So anyone looking for Carr to play at a probowl level is going to be really upset for 16 games..... cause Carr ain't getting pulled.

Quote:
..If Carr weren't showing the improvement and confidence the Texans need, Kubiak would not hesitate to say so publicly, as he has done with 2005 No. 1 pick Travis Johnson and others. And any move Kubiak would make certainly would be supported by McNair, who announced before camp: "I don't care how much money you make or where you were drafted. If you don't fit in, you'll get cut.
As long as Kubiak is satisfied with his performance, we will loose games before he pulls Carr.

Right now, look at David Carr just like you'd look at Phillip Rivers. He isn't a rookie. He isn't a SaltyVet....... even though David is on the salty side..... he's going to go out there, and do what the coach is asking him to do... he's going to screw up.... we're going to loose some games, but it will all work out in the end.
Old 08-23-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
Sounds like what a lot of us have said, Kubiak will put the best 11 on the field. I am anxious to see the game this week with Denver, and get a good long look at the first string.

Nothing really to debate at this point, let the preseason run its course and the coaching staff will do what is right for the team.

That's not what that said at all..... he'll put the best 10, and David Carr, whether David is the best or not..... once he feels David can't progress any farther, then he'll put in the best 11.
Old 08-23-2006   #18
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Potential goes in the facts pile more than the emotion pile. Once it looks like the potential can't be realized, then it goes over to emotion and the QB gets benched. Right now Kubiak still sees the potential.

IMO, thinking this way defeats this thread, because you are giving Carr what he's already had for 4 years--longevity based upon 'potential.' You're saying that 'every' time something changes for Carr, expectations for him go back to 'square one' because he has the 'potential' to succeed at the new task. And, the main reason he hasn't already succeeded, is because of circumstances around him that were 'out of his control.'

Too, who or what determines what defines 'potential' and when does 'can't be realized' manifest itself. IMO, we need definite goals and time tables or this notion of 'potential' will become a 'revolving door.'...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #19
real

I am so sick and tired of hearing about Carr's freakin' potential...Carr has got to show me something...
Old 08-23-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
IMO, thinking this way defeats this thread, because you are giving Carr what he's already had for 4 years--longevity based upon 'potential.' You're saying that 'every' time something changes for Carr, expectations for him go back to 'square one' because he has the 'potential' to succeed at the new task.
No I am not. I am saying this team committed to the idea that Kubiak and this system could unleash the potential they see in Carr. Don't know where the every time something changes stuff comes from--it is undeniable Kubiak, Sherman and this system are the biggest changes which have ever happened to this team.

Quote:
And, the main reason he hasn't already succeeded, is because of circumstances around him that were 'out of his control.'
I am not making that assertion, this coaching staff is making that assertion. Frankly you seem to be acting as if the circumstances around him meant nothing.

Quote:
Too, who or what determines what defines 'potential' and when does 'can't be realized' manifest itself. IMO, we need definite goals and time tables or this notion of 'potential' will become a 'revolving door.'...
Who is Kubiak, Smith and McNair. Time table--whenever they feel Carr has ceased to make improvement at a level which is unacceptable. Complain about it all you want, it is unreasonable to expect an instant turn around or even one very quickly in really deciding if they were right or have made a mistake and there is no definite goal or time table which is going to be applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I am so sick and tired of hearing about Carr's freakin' potential...Carr has got to show me something...
I am sick of it too and this year should be the end but bringing that potential out however sick everyone is of the word is exactly the mission Kubiak took on as the best program for the Texans this offseason so we better all wish him well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
That's not what that said at all..... he'll put the best 10, and David Carr, whether David is the best or not..... once he feels David can't progress any farther, then he'll put in the best 11.
Different tactics, same old TK.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read