Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2006   #1
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default John McClain's 8/20/06 blog

Not sure if y'all saw this. But since he does seem to get dogged for not covering the Texans (enough), there was some good bits in his blog for possible discussion among the class.

Quote:
Before we start analyzing where the Texans are right now, I've been reading your posts, and I want to make something clear: We're not getting carried away. Everyone -- me and readers alike -- know we're just two games into preseason. But why can't we get excited during preseason? Where is it written that you can't get excited in preseason? The Texans may lose the last two and go 4-12 or 5-11. They might go 7-9 or 8-8. None of us know right now. But we do know this: They look a heck of a lot better two games into preseason compared to where they were at this time last year, right? Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let's look at the quarterback situation.....

...Something I'm wondering about after two preseason games: What if Sage Rosenfels continues to look more comfortable than Carr in Kubiak's offense? Would Kubiak bench Carr and play Rosenfels after he convinced owner Bob McNair that Carr was good enough to lead the Texans to the Super Bowl? It's too early to have a quarterback controversy, but it's clear that Rosenfels is very confident and comfortable in this system. I asked Kubiak Sunday if the Rams continued to come after Rosenfels the way they got after Carr on blitzes, and he said yes.

We'll keep a close eye on this one, of course. It's been a loooooooog time since a Houston NFL team has had a genuine quarterback controversy. Let's see: Gifford Nielsen vs. Oliver Luck? Naw. Steve McNair vs. Chris Chandler? Sort of. What about Dan Pastorini vs. Lynn Dickey? That was even before my time.

The two-best things to come out of the Rams game was the running game with Vernand Morency and Wali Lundy and defensive end Mario Williams....

...I asked Kubiak on Sunday if moving Williams from the strong side to the weak side and inside to tackle could be slowing his progress, that if he left Williams in one spot wouldn't it be easier for him to learn. Kubiak said it might, but that's what the preseason is for -- experimenting with players and trying to figure out what they can and can't do. I like that philosophy. Don't you?

Here's what the Chronicle is looking at this week: stories on the offensive line and the continued improvement of guard Fred Weary and the development of left tackle Charles Spencer. By the way, don't be surprised if Eric Winston gets some practice time on the left side.

Next week, you better buckle your chinstrap. When the roster must be reduced for the first time after the Denver game, the revolving door at Reliant Park starts spinning out of control. Kubiak, Smith and the personnel department will be claiming many, many players on waivers, especially wide receivers, outside linebackers and cornerbacks. They also want a defensive tackle. They won't pass up a running back they believe will fit into their system. Keep an eye on the Broncos' cuts.
chronic sports blog
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

What he doesn't say is that Morency protected Rosenfels better than Lundy protected Carr, but it's a good article and, if he'd stick with talking about the Texans more, I'd stop most, if not all, of my bashing.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog
especially wide receivers, outside linebackers and cornerbacks. They also want a defensive tackle. They won't pass up a running back they believe will fit into their system. Keep an eye on the Broncos' cuts.
IMO this may be the best thing about being the worst team last year. First Dibs!!!

Maybe Rogers does have a shot...
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What Rogers are you talking about.

This also is probably one of Mclains better blogs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone read John McClain and hear his voice in your head? I can't help it...too many radio shows I've listened to with McClain!

Nice article, though. He's been covering the Texans a lot lately (my dad has been saving the daily sports section for me). It's nice to see the hometown paper cover the hometown team, especially with articles that provide insight into player and the system.

McClain mentioned a QB controversy during the Saturday tv broadcast, and it does present an interesting question. What if Carr is struggling 5-6 weeks into the season? Do they take a chance on Rosenfels, just to see if it'll spark something positive? I'm not against DC, but I can't help but wonder if Kubiak would be so bold as to bench him if he's not living up to expectations. My guess is that the coach would do it if he thought it was in the best interests of the team.
Old 08-23-2006   #6
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I think Kubiak would "have the balls" to bench Carr. I think he'll give him adequate time to prove himself and adjust in the new system, but I think he'll have no real issue with benching him if he feels Sage will get the job done better.
Old 08-23-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Does anyone read John McClain and hear his voice in your head? I can't help it...too many radio shows I've listened to with McClain!

Nice article, though. He's been covering the Texans a lot lately (my dad has been saving the daily sports section for me). It's nice to see the hometown paper cover the hometown team, especially with articles that provide insight into player and the system.

McClain mentioned a QB controversy during the Saturday tv broadcast, and it does present an interesting question. What if Carr is struggling 5-6 weeks into the season? Do they take a chance on Rosenfels, just to see if it'll spark something positive? I'm not against DC, but I can't help but wonder if Kubiak would be so bold as to bench him if he's not living up to expectations. My guess is that the coach would do it if he thought it was in the best interests of the team.
I think he'd bench him too. If around mid-season our record doesn't fall where it should be I think he'd try it just to throw a wrench in the spokes.
Old 08-23-2006   #8
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

IMO Kubiak wont hesistate to make the choice necessary to make this team a winner. If that means David Carr sits, or is #2 then so be it. This isnt an exact comparison, but in Denver they drafted Brian Griese and tried to fit him into the system for 5 years and when it didnt work they went and got Jake. I dont see Kubiak having a problem making the choice to start the better man to do the job. Ultimately IMO Kubiak just wants to win games and while it would be a 'situation' if he started Sage over David, its something that ultimately David has to take the "Bull by the horns" and win the job and the respect of the players and coaches on the field if he wants to continue being a starting QB in this league. He's not going to get a better teacher or situation than he has here with Kubiak and the Texans.

IMO think now that DC is in a system that allows some flexability and that once he gets the jitters gone about the new system and plays without having to overthink he will have a much easier time performing under pressure. Then I think he will settle down and play his game fully and really light it up. He was a great passer in college and think he could be the same in the NFL esp with this system.
Old 08-23-2006   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

When it comes to benching Carr for a poor performance my attitute is the same as last year. If he by game #9 still look horrible (no confidence, panicking, making all the wrong decisions) then I want the backup to take over. Last years coaching team did not do this, but I still wish they did so we could have had a better look at Ragone.
Old 08-23-2006   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
IMO Kubiak wont hesistate to make the choice necessary to make this team a winner. If that means David Carr sits, or is #2 then so be it. This isnt an exact comparison, but in Denver they drafted Brian Griese and tried to fit him into the system for 5 years and when it didnt work they went and got Jake. I dont see Kubiak having a problem making the choice to start the better man to do the job. Ultimately IMO Kubiak just wants to win games and while it would be a 'situation' if he started Sage over David, its something that ultimately David has to take the "Bull by the horns" and win the job and the respect of the players and coaches on the field if he wants to continue being a starting QB in this league. He's not going to get a better teacher or situation than he has here with Kubiak and the Texans.

IMO think now that DC is in a system that allows some flexability and that once he gets the jitters gone about the new system and plays without having to overthink he will have a much easier time performing under pressure. Then I think he will settle down and play his game fully and really light it up. He was a great passer in college and think he could be the same in the NFL esp with this system.
Great post! I agree 100%. Especially needing to show it on the field. He can impress all day long in TC, but if it doesn't translate to the field, it doesn't mean anything.
Old 08-23-2006   #11
srstex
Veteran

Unfortunantly for Carr, he has been hit so much he hears foot steps even with no one around. But he has now been in game situations and has only taken one sack, that should build some confidence in the o-line. The Eagles blitz, ALOT, and their D will be after the QB just like always, so Kubiak has to be prepared just like Carr for the opener.
With a rookie or Seth Wand at left tackle I understand Carr's happy feet, he's been down this road before.

Old 08-23-2006   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

One of McClain's better articles/ blogs of late. If it takes DC 9 games to get comfortable in the system, then he SHOULD be benched. I would use a much shorter leash, myself. 1/2 dozen games at best. IMHO, Kubes is going to be ruthless about putting the best players on the field and putting the team in a position to win. McClain forgot to mention the QB controversy between Moon and Commander Cody during the '90 or '91 season.
Old 08-23-2006   #13
real

I like McClain...Why do people dislike him so much ?
Old 08-23-2006   #14
JAXwithanX
Veteran

It shouldn't take 9 full games to realize if Rosenfels is better suited. If after the first half of game 1 I thought I had a better chance to win with Rosenfels....then I'm making the switch. And so will Kubiak. Carr isn't and never has been a star so far in the NFL, he won't throw a fit because he knows that practicing and getting better in the system will get him back on the first team. He knows he has better tools that Rosenfels, its just whether he can ever put it together in the NFL. But Carr isn't Favre and hasn't earned the "right" to bring a team down when a backup could be doing a better job.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #15
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

mcclain mentioned that the only two locks in the starting lineup at the o-line are wiegert and flanagan. is there a reason why chester pitts was not mentioned?
Old 08-23-2006   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I like McClain, I just think you have to appreciate what he is--a reporter rather than an analyst. He has very good contacts and is entertaining relating what he has been told. When he ventures into trying to form his own opinions however, his judgment is very suspect IMO. Like a lot of reporters he will make a bigger deal than necessary sometimes--ex. he almost seems like he is on a campaign to discredit Mathis--don't get me wrong Mathis deserves to have his conduct reported, it just seems McClain goes overboard. The other main knocks which I don't agree with are (a) spending too much time talking movies or other non-football material (b) not covering the Texans enough (these folks forget he was the NFL reporter until last year) and (c) covering the Cowboys too much.
Old 08-23-2006   #17
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

No to the first. I hear the guy from ABC 13 for some reason.

If Carr struggles midway into the season and we are still in contention for the playoffs, and Carr's play is why we are losing games, you absolutely bench Carr. The team comes before the player.

That last game he had wasn't all that impressive. The one thing that Sage has over Carr is touch. Carr muscles the ball every time. Oh and sage hasn't thrown it into triple coverage yet. The other thing Carr has been doing is throwing his left shoulder back before he throws. Not only is that a wasted motion but it telegraphs when he is about to throw it.

Other than that Carr has done a good job in leading the team and making plays with his feet. That Rams game was sloppy and if was last year the wheels would have fallen off the bus. He did a good job of holding it together and moving forward.

I will give him three games into the regular season to not look like a chump. If he blows by week four I will tar and feather him myself.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC
mcclain mentioned that the only two locks in the starting lineup at the o-line are wiegert and flanagan. is there a reason why chester pitts was not mentioned?
Because that is what Kubiak said. He says he has three starter level guards - Pitts, MicKinney, Weary. It was quoted here somewhere - I can't find it right now.
Old 08-23-2006   #19
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
... Oh and sage hasn't thrown it into triple coverage yet. .
Sage did almost throw a pick in the endzone into double coverage. i guess he missed that part.
Old 08-23-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
What infantrycak said, plus a lot of folks hold a grudge over McClain's persistent take on the Vince Young pick.

I've never disliked McClain, and I'd love to have coffee with the guy. Of course, it would be me drinking coffee listening to his war stories, but he's got a vast library of NFL history in that brain of his. Like infantrycak mentioned, he's a reporter, not an analyst. But he is a big supporter of Houston football heritage, and he campaigned relentlessly for Elvin and Warren for their HoF ballets.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read