Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-23-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Charles Rogers

from www.kffl.com

Lions | C. Rogers could go on the waiver wire
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:01:36 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports Detroit Lions WR Charles Rogers could go on the waiver wire if the team decides to cut ties with him. He would be subject to the waiver wire because he only has three years of league experience. By going on the waiver wire, the Lions would have no control over who he signs with and the team that claims him would get Rogers for cheap. Rogers failed to reach many of his contract incentives and the team that claims him and the remaining four years of his contract would only be on the hook for his one-year salary of $757,917. The team that claims him could release him if things do not work out and there would be no additional hit on their salary cap.
Old 08-23-2006   #2
Mysteryhunt
Veteran

just out of curiosity where are the texans on the waiver clams list? is it done by record the previous season (pleasepleaseplease!)
Mysteryhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryhunt
just out of curiosity where are the texans on the waiver clams list? is it done by record the previous season (pleasepleaseplease!)
I believe so, I think we have first rights to waivers due to having the worst record last season. I may be wrong but I think I read it here somewhere, I am sure someone else can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-23-2006   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have 1st dibs on the waiver wire. However, in the case of Rogers, there are a lot of questions. Remember the big controversy of AJ vs Rogers in the draft. Well since then, Rogers has demonstated less than stellar work ethic. He has had 2 freak collar bone fractures in 2 seasons. But probably most important to the Texans evaluation may be the 4 game suspension last year for substance abuse. He's now nursing a "sore knee" which does not sound like a big thing, but has not been characterized. He may come cheap, and may have great potential. But if the Texans determine that he is "trouble in a bag," his fate is to be passed on.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

It's amazing Harrington couldn't go to the SuperBowl with talent like that.
Old 08-23-2006   #6
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Remember the EA sports comercial he did with Ray Lewis?

I am just glad the Lions picked him and not AJ at the time.
Old 08-23-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I believe so, I think we have first rights to waivers due to having the worst record last season. I may be wrong but I think I read it here somewhere, I am sure someone else can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.
The Texans have the 1st pick on the waiver wire thru the 4th week of the regular season. Then the waiver order goes to regular season standings--whoohoo 1st to 32nd week 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
It's amazing Harrington couldn't go to the SuperBowl with talent like that.
Must ... resist ... urge ... to poke non-sleeping bear ...
Old 08-23-2006   #8
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Must ... resist ... urge ... to poke non-sleeping bear ...

Please resist .... you aren't the only one that would suffer ....
Old 08-23-2006   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's worth a look. Maybe if you take a closer look and don't like what you see then you don't keep him but he's definitely worth a look. I don't think it would take our current brain trust very long to figure out whether he was a candidate to turn it around or not. Just because he's a Detroit castoff doesn't mean he's hopeless. I don't think their previous and current coaching staff/front office was any better at developing talent than our old one was.

Who knows, being waived might be a wake up call for him and he might actually come around with some real coaching. If not then it's no big deal to us.
Old 08-23-2006   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Who knows, being waived might be a wake up call for him and he might actually come around with some real coaching. If not then it's no big deal to us.
I agree--while not the nicest guy this is a freebee. The Texans don't lose their #1 waiver pick by exercising it. There is no salary cap hit for dumping him if it doesn't work out. Let wunderkind Shanahan work with him in a new environment AND let him try to sit on the same field as AJ and prove he is better--what better way to jack his pride and motivation into high gear.
Old 08-23-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I agree--while not the nicest guy this is a freebee. The Texans don't lose their #1 waiver pick by exercising it. There is no salary cap hit for dumping him if it doesn't work out. Let wunderkind Shanahan work with him in a new environment AND let him try to sit on the same field as AJ and prove he is better--what better way to jack his pride and motivation into high gear.

So we get dibs on every one who is waived?? wow...... I didn't realize that....

I totally agree with you and Herv...... why not??
Old 08-23-2006   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why not? Because the Texans have made a point of bringing in "class-act" guys and cutting ties with guys who show any sort of "questionable" behavior.

We are relatively deep at WR all of a sudden as well
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #13
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Only reason not to is not having a roster spot. I have a hard time believing Charles Rogers can't make the #5 WR spot for our team.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #14
real

I think the Texans may consider taking a chance on him...why not ? if they decide that he isn't a good fit they could always cut him and not lose anything...
Old 08-23-2006   #15
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

if he is waived and we pick him up we have what like a week to see if he can make the team. It is worth a shot.
Old 08-23-2006   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Low risk, high reward. I wouldn't have a problem at all if they brought him in for a look.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Many Texans players have shown great turn-arounds/improvements this year: TJ and Buchanon, for example. So, as long as Charles Rogers isn't a gun-toting, dope-smoking, TO-acting machine, I don't see why we shouldn't give him a shot. If there's a chance he could disrupt the team, however, then I say pass on him...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #18
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01
Only reason not to is not having a roster spot. I have a hard time believing Charles Rogers can't make the #5 WR spot for our team.
I doubt that they touch this guy. He had both on and off the field problems. The only reason to take a look at him is if you believe that he can be a #1 or #2 type player within the next couple of years. In the interim the guy has to be at least a solid contributor on special teams.

Seems like a lot to try to figure out in a week.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet we can get TO in about a month, lol.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #20
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded
I doubt that they touch this guy. He had both on and off the field problems. The only reason to take a look at him is if you believe that he can be a #1 or #2 type player within the next couple of years. In the interim the guy has to be at least a solid contributor on special teams.

Seems like a lot to try to figure out in a week.

I agree, here. I doubt we touch him because of the off the field problems. Everyone on waviers are there because of something, but if this guy could get it done on the field I doubt they would just let him go. So thats more then one headach your willing to take on. I admit last year when we didn't have Moulds I would have jumped at the chance, but now I just don't think we need that sort of help.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read