Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2006   #1
WILLIEG
Veteran

Default Why Not Trade?

Why is it year after year, we never seem to dip into trades that would improve our chances of winning? You would think that GK has at least gotten some take from watching the Broncos making tradse after trades. Didn't they get J. Walker early this year in a big trade and now they found a way to get reid of A. Lellie for a 3rd round draft pick in 2007. There was some early speculation that T.J. Duckett would be a possibility, but he was traded to the Redskins. Why don't we trade, anyone?
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

There aren't many trades in the NFL. Not many teams do trade if you look closely enough. The NFL is built more around free agency and the draft. Plus, what players have we had to trade since our existence? You have to give in order to recieve, and the past 4 years we haven't had much to give.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #3
veazeyt
Rookie

Probably because we dont have depth at any position to get a trade. it seems that trades happen far less in this sport than any others.

Unless they are throwing in draft picks.
veazeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who would you suggest trading and what would you ask for in return? The only guys who have proved their value that you would be able to get anything for need to stay.
Old 08-23-2006   #5
WILLIEG
Veteran

Well, Lellie and Duckett were both #1 picks that went unproven in the years that they played, so why not trade a couple of our unproven #1 picks like Babin or Johnson to add depth at the CB spot, OLB spot, or even RB spot. This thread started as a reaction or presumption that C. Benson wasn't happy in Chicago. Wishful thinking to say the least!
Old 08-23-2006   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIEG
Well, Lellie and Duckett were both #1 picks that went unproven in the years that they played, so why not trade a couple of our unproven #1 picks like Babin or Johnson to add depth at the CB spot, OLB spot, or even RB spot. This thread started as a reaction or presumption that C. Benson wasn't happy in Chicago. Wishful thinking to say the least!
They were both first round picks, and they were both traded for 3rd round picks. I do not think at this point I would trade either TJ or Babin for a 3rd round pick, especially after TJ seems to have a fire lit under him after last Saturday and honestly I do not think we would get that high of a pick for either at this point. Why trade 2 guys who could be starters for us for 2nd and 3rd team guys?
Old 08-23-2006   #7
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
They were both first round picks, and they were both traded for 3rd round picks. I do not think at this point I would trade either TJ or Babin for a 3rd round pick, especially after TJ seems to have a fire lit under him after last Saturday and honestly I do not think we would get that high of a pick for either at this point. Why trade 2 guys who could be starters for us for 2nd and 3rd team guys?
I'm not literary saying that those two guys in particular would be the ones I would trade. It was more or less an example of how we could trade a former #1 pick for another, like the Den, Atl, and Wash trade.
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2006   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not literary saying that those two guys in particular would be the ones I would trade. It was more or less an example of how we could trade a former #1 pick for another, like the Den, Atl, and Wash trade.
Atlanta got a 3rd round pick from Washington for Duckett and Denver got a 3rd round pick from Atlanta for Lelie. No player that was taken in the first round was traded for a first round pick or another first round player. The only guys we have on the roster anyway who are first round picks are Carr, AJ, Dunta, TJ, Babin, and Williams, and personally I don't want to lose any of those guys at this point. The only guys out of the bunch who would probably even garner interest on the trading block are AJ and Dunta IMO.
Old 08-23-2006   #9
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Atlanta got a 3rd round pick from Washington for Duckett and Denver got a 3rd round pick from Atlanta for Lelie. No player that was taken in the first round was traded for a first round pick or another first round player. The only guys we have on the roster anyway who are first round picks are Carr, AJ, Dunta, TJ, Babin, and Williams, and personally I don't want to lose any of those guys at this point. The only guys out of the bunch who would probably even garner interest on the trading block are AJ and Dunta IMO.
Lellie if I'm not mistaken was taken either #17 or #18 in the 1st rd 2002 draft and Duckett was next in line in the 2002 draft as Atl's 1st round choice. Taht is what is I meant by 1st round trades.
Old 08-23-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Lellie if I'm not mistaken was taken either #17 or #18 in the 1st rd 2002 draft and Duckett was next in line in the 2002 draft as Atl's 1st round choice. Taht is what is I meant by 1st round trades.
Well you said something in your earlier post about trading a former first round pick for another.
Old 08-23-2006   #11
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Why is it year after year, we never seem to dip into trades that would improve our chances of winning? You would think that GK has at least gotten some take from watching the Broncos making tradse after trades. Didn't they get J. Walker early this year in a big trade and now they found a way to get reid of A. Lellie for a 3rd round draft pick in 2007. There was some early speculation that T.J. Duckett would be a possibility, but he was traded to the Redskins. Why don't we trade, anyone?
Not to burst your bubble, but:

Eric Moulds traded for a 2006 5th round pick

we have made a few other trades for a QB and our 3rd WR. Just because we don't go out and grab big name people like a Lelie or Duckett, doesnt mean we don't do anything in the trade area. Also, you need to remember that big name college players don't always do well in the NFL.

Also, who would you rather have?
Lelie for a 3rd rounder
Kevin Walters for a 7th rounder

I would pick Kevin Walters. To get a #3 WR I would rather give up the 7th rounder.
Old 08-23-2006   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd keep in mind that Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith are in their first season and their predecessors (Dom Capers and Charlie Casserly) were really the ones who did very little trading "year after year".

As cap1 and others correctly point out the new regime has made a few significant trades in the time they've been here.
Old 08-23-2006   #13
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP

NFL trade used to be more rare, but with the new CBA they will and have happened more often. John Clayton mentioned it on ESPN today that if a trade happens after June 1 the cap hit can be taken the next season.
TexansCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #14
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

The only position where the Texans could probably make a decent trade (without tossing in first day draft picks) would be one of the three RBs who have shown some stuff in the past. None of these trades can happen at this moment, since DD is the only one with significant regular season production and he has the injury question. However, if we get into the season and Davis shows he's back from his injury plus Morency and Lundy put up good numbers, then we might well see one depart in a trade.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #15
Eagle23
Rookie

Quote:
i say the same things about the eagles
Eagle23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read