Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2006   #1
Divebomb
Veteran

Default When will Carr throw deep?

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that Carr has not thrown a ball over 20 yards. I mean a reciever might stretch out a 7 yard pass into 20 yards but I have not seen one, complete or incomplete, pass over 35 yeards in the air. Whats the deal?
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #2
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Didn't Carr used to air it out alot to Bradford his rookie year(when he wasn't running for his life)?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been wondering the same thing. I kind of hope he lets it fly a couple of times this week.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #4
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Mathis really was the only deep threat we had. AJ could go deep but I don't expect many deep balls into double coverage. It will open up in the reg season when the saftey has to come down and stop the run. Right now they just play base defense.

Last edited by RiotCommander; 08-22-2006 at 03:57 PM.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
Mathis really was the only deep threat we had.
I would guess that there are many receivers slower than Mathis who were successful with the long ball. AJ is certainly capable of going deep.
Old 08-22-2006   #6
Wild.Bill
Rookie

AJ is certainly capable of going deep, but is also the one receiver that the safeties will double on. We lack a true burner to stretch the defense not named Andre Johnson. Moulds and Walters will be very good possession receivers.

Mathis, even though very unexperienced, is the type of speed that you want as a third/fourth receiver that can sneak past the safeties for big plays.
Wild.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

The tight ends will make the safeties pay for doubling Andre. There are many ways to be successful with the long ball other than having two really fast guys.

Having an offensive system that exploits your opponents weaknesses and reinforces your own strengths (which I think we are building) would open up the long pass more than just adding Mathis into a poorly planned offense (like last year's Texans).
Old 08-22-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

He will throw deep when they set that up.

Usually Denver will dink and dunk and then when the guys in the booth see that the defenders are shading up, then they will send it downfield.

Some plays they run just to set up stuff later on.

Deep options are often available, and the QBs are taught to look downfield first, but if it is not there, they aren't supposed to chuck it.

Strategery. We have to get used to it as Texans fans.
Old 08-22-2006   #9
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Mannn everyone keeps saying what I already posted just using different words. Don't I get any credit at all

RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #10
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

He has been too busy running for his life, or getting sacked to throw deep, hopefully this year he will air one out to A.J. or Moulds for a TD....
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #11
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
The tight ends will make the safeties pay for doubling Andre. There are many ways to be successful with the long ball other than having two really fast guys.

Having an offensive system that exploits your opponents weaknesses and reinforces your own strengths (which I think we are building) would open up the long pass more than just adding Mathis into a poorly planned offense (like last year's Texans).
Good call. IMO Carr needs to make use of his cannon arm a few more times per game, but I don't really care if he throws long, as long as the drive involves correct decisions and ends in a score.

Unfortunately the TV broadcast doesn't show the whole field, so it's oftentimes hard to see who is or isn't open downfield outside of the limited view.

I think you will see Carr throw long more and more as the season progresses and he becomes comfortable in Kubiak's system. You gotta remember -- it's one thing to practice a play with confidence, it's another to have that same confidence in a game. This is a guy who for years has endured bad practice absent of "game conditions;" previously, Capers and Carr would practice a bunch of things that Carr never saw in a real game. Give him a little time to make that adjustment.

I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone, but it's beneficial to place his performance in context.
Old 08-22-2006   #12
trane
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
Is it me or has anyone else noticed that Carr has not thrown a ball over 20 yards. I mean a reciever might stretch out a 7 yard pass into 20 yards but I have not seen one, complete or incomplete, pass over 35 yeards in the air. Whats the deal?
IMO-It seems he likes to throw deep when his receiver is wide open and does not like to throw deep in tight coverage or double teams.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #13
humbleone
Veteran

The deep shot (taken 2-3 times a game on average) is part of this offense I believe. As others have commented, they might not all go to AJ however...Lewis caught a nice one at the flag from Sage last week (a deep ball play among others they work on every practice I understand).

IMO, Kubes and Carr still have a lot of work to do to get Carr ready to (1) have the vision to see that option in his read progression and (2) have him remain calm and patient enough to take that option. As Kubes has coached him many times..."just slow down a bit". And please, before anyone lights me up about being anti-Carr and how if he had more time etc... check my posts...I have been and remain a big Carr fan.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
The pass which was tipped by the LB in the KC preseason game was a 30+ yd throw. Kubiak has mentioned Carr missing a couple longer options in the Rams game--can't tell from the televised game how far those WR's were or even which play since you often can't see the receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane
IMO-It seems he likes to throw deep when his receiver is wide open and does not like to throw deep in tight coverage or double teams.
Carr used to be willing to take these shots (as someone mentioned, see the Vikings game throwing long balls to AJ in double coverage, to Armstrong over the middle) but (and all of this stuff is Carr's 100% responsibility to get rid of) pressure and Capers/Pendry preaching small ball (rather than fixing the protection) and no turnovers removed the long ball from the Texans' arsenal. Kubiak's biggest coaching challenge is getting Carr to put it back in because Kubiak wants it there.
Old 08-22-2006   #15
SESupergenius

Is anyone else but me worried about the offensive line and pass protection? Although a sack in 2 games is phenominal, I am truly worried about the outside edge penetration.

Carr however had been doing a good job of looking downfield and keeping the safeties at bay. We should see more rollouts this game and thus more long ball, but since this is Denver and they see this everyday, it's going to be problematic for Carr. This is going to be a wierd game.
Old 08-22-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Is anyone else but me worried about the offensive line and pass protection? Although a sack in 2 games is phenominal, I am truly worried about the outside edge penetration.
I'm not nearly as worried about the offensive line, as I am in the young backs with the blitz recognitions, and being in the proper spot when they do recognize them.

They re going to blitz, and blitz, and blitz until finally, finally, Carr makes them pay for it. And Carr will never, ever . . .have the ability to make them pay for it until the backs do a better job of picking up those blitzes.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I'm not nearly as worried about the offensive line, as I am in the young backs with the blitz recognitions, and being in the proper spot when they do recognize them.

They re going to blitz, and blitz, and blitz until finally, finally, Carr makes them pay for it. And Carr will never, ever . . .have the ability to make them pay for it until the backs do a better job of picking up those blitzes.
I agree. Our backs have a lot to learn, especially if we want to avoid another 50+ sack season.

At least we'll have TEs to help pick up blitzes and give Carr a viable option to drop short passes to. If we are successful with it, we might see teams respect it and blitz less often. But we'll have to prove it first.
Old 08-22-2006   #18
Eagle23
Rookie

he will never throe deep, too bad he is comming to philly
Eagle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #19
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle23
he will never throe deep, too bad he is comming to philly
Troll Alert
Old 08-22-2006   #20
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
He will throw deep when they set that up.

Usually Denver will dink and dunk and then when the guys in the booth see that the defenders are shading up, then they will send it downfield.

Some plays they run just to set up stuff later on.

Deep options are often available, and the QBs are taught to look downfield first, but if it is not there, they aren't supposed to chuck it.

Strategery. We have to get used to it as Texans fans.
...nothing to get use to...dink and dunk is Carr's trademark, still going strong after 4 yrs...winning is what I'm waiting for, as losing is no fun to get use to...

2005 ypa 5.9 2006 5.5

Last edited by tsip; 08-22-2006 at 05:26 PM.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read