Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2006   #1
veazeyt
Rookie

Default Lundy vs Morency

I dont know if this has been posted yet, but was curious and have some input.

"I liked the way he got the ball downhill, which is something weve been preaching to him. Also, one of the things I was impressed with was that he struggled with pass protection in camp and understanding schemes, understanding protections and blocking schemes. Hes had some mistakes, he was mistake-free in that department in the game."
- My new father, Kubiak

I am speculating that Kubiak likes Lundy more than Morency but is open to changing his mind based on VM's performance.

What I think is going on:

Lundy in practice, has been able to pick up the blitzes better, as far as going out there and putting the hit on a guy. Obviously, his blocking skills are not to par.

Morency in practice has not been has keen on picking up the right blocks. Obviously, we know that he can make big blocks.

In conclusion, because Morency had "a mistake free game", Morency could soon find himself as the starter.
veazeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

With DD hurt, Morency IS the starter. DD comes back, eh, Morency might still be the starter.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #3
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Both these guys should be named Thunder and Lightning..

I like Morency because he runs straight up the middle, doesn't dance and gets yards...

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #4
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpen Drew
I like Morency because he runs straight up the middle, doesn't dance and gets yards...
I never thought I'd hear that.

(Strangley, I agree.)
Old 08-22-2006   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I Like Morency because he runs straight up the middle, doesn't dance and gets yards...
High praise for Gary Kubiak!!!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
With DD hurt, Morency IS the starter. DD comes back, eh, Morency might still be the starter.
DD won't be the starter...IF he comes back....
Old 08-22-2006   #7
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Gotta love Kubiak for getting his POINT across to this kid. GRADE A COACHING JOB THERE.
Old 08-22-2006   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
DD won't be the starter...IF he comes back....
I'm starting to wonder the same. Of course, Morency and Lundi are looking good in pre-season games. Davis has looked good in regular season games. They did a great job of recoaching Morency. I was really impressed with the show he gave Saturday. From what I see, I could not make the decision of who to start. Stat-wise, they are very similar. Morency has the experience, so he seems the likely candidate, but I could go either way. It's also good to see fresh blood in the offense...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #9
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

I think Gary likes Wali a little more, just due to his straight ahead running and less dancing like Morencey, but they are both great backs, I also like Chris Taylor as well, it's great having mutiple talented backs, thank God for Gary Kubiak and the new system.....:bananasplit:
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing I like about Morency is his high end ability to make defenders hesitate in space with is explosive change of direction skills. I think he has grasped the concept of using his ability at the second level and run the play as designed till he gets there. You can't get on Sports Center if you can't get to the second level anyway, so you may as well listen to the coaches.

In the future I'd love to see Morency start and Dom Davis come in as the 3rd down back or obvious passing situation back. This would limit his carries and would extend his career. Lundy is the Gary Brown of the backs.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #11
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going with Morency. It's his job to lose (they will both get plenty of carries IMO), but he will be in there more because of his pass protection. Assuming that the St Louis game is more indicative of his pass protection than the supposed problems he has had in camp with it. On his first TD run, I was impressed with how he lowered his head and powered his way in. I became a much bigger Morency fan after that game.
Old 08-22-2006   #12
real

I'd have to go with Morency....I loved everything he did from his blocking, to his hard nose running, his moves in the open field, and driving that LB into the endzone...he looked like he wanted it...bad....IMO, he is the best all around back that we have this season...even if DD comes back....DD pass protection is marginal at best, and he isn't the head and shoulders better runner...the only advantage he has is his pass catching, which IMO is overrated...
Old 08-22-2006   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Lundy is the Gary Brown of the backs.
Ok, just curious but in what way do you mean that? I can think of several different comparisons some positive, others less so.

When I think of Gary Brown I think of a rumbling bowling ball of a running back who hit the hole hard but didn't break away from anyone (very often). Good positive yardage most of the time and very humble/likeable player. Then I also think he seemed destined for a bright future but never really played anywhere where he got enough carries to get much past 1000 yards.

His busiest year he had 253 carries and averaged 3.7 a carry. It kind of seemed like that was around his ceiling. Looking back at Gary I don't know if he never got more carries because he wasn't that productive or if he wasn't that productive because he never got more carries.
Old 08-22-2006   #14
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Both these guys should be named Thunder and Lightning.
How about Shake and Bake?

I hope Lundy works out his blocking problems. With that fixed, throw either one of them in there. They both run well, and their speed is similar, unless I am mistaken.
Old 08-22-2006   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Herv,

Brown is the guy I was thinking about when I was watching Lundy run Saturday night. He seems to have good balance, a good feel for body language, is big and strong, but not so big he can't get his quick feet moving (Lundy has those quick feet Wells was missing). Brown had some good years and was a great reserve but as a starter you felt like you could do better.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #16
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

This is the first year that I don't think I have really cared who we start at RB. I know I have bashed Lundy for his blitz pickup, but according to Kubs Morency was having problems with it in camp. So he (Lundy) can learn. I would like to see what DD looks like with this new line and blocking system, but it could be awhile.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #17
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok my memory of the particular year is hazy but I remember wanting Gary Brown to get more carries (I remember him being very physical) and then when he got his oppurtunity didn't he get hurt?
Old 08-22-2006   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't get to see the game, only the stat sheet, but from what I saw, both looked like they played very well. Of course, you can't see blitz pick-ups or misses in the stat sheets, but I think I've heard enough on the boards to know that Morency did well, and Lundy missed at least one and maybe more.

As a grad student at UVa, i hear a lot about Lundy. He was extremely well liked here, and was a very consistent, very predictable runner. He wasn't known for his huge play ability, but still scored with avengence. He racked up alot of tds on a team that didn't run the ball very much (he only had 520 something yards last year and was the leading rusher, averaging over 4.0ypc) and didn't score very much either (although he had 10 tds last year). The problem I have with him is questions of his durability. He was never really the 20 carries a game type here, so I don't know if he could do this in Houston.

I like the 1-2 punch idea
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The thing I like about Morency is his high end ability to make defenders hesitate in space with is explosive change of direction skills. I think he has grasped the concept of using his ability at the second level and run the play as designed till he gets there. You can't get on Sports Center if you can't get to the second level anyway, so you may as well listen to the coaches.

In the future I'd love to see Morency start and Dom Davis come in as the 3rd down back or obvious passing situation back. This would limit his carries and would extend his career. Lundy is the Gary Brown of the backs.
I'm not joking. I was going to literaly say the same thing. Even the part about Lundy and Gary Brown.

I also feel that if you allow DD to be our 3rd down back he can still see the field as a KR/PR.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #20
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

veazeyt, did you put "BOWIE" on Mario's jersey in your avatar or was it already like that?
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read