Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2006   #1
Divebomb
Veteran

Default Is the Coach Kub. holding Mario back?

I am not a betting man, but if I were I would put 5 on the idea that Mario is being told to go through the motions durring pre-season to keep from injuries. First off, I watch the guy and being a X-DE myself, I see that he is playing a line-containment technique. What I mean is he attacks the line and stands up the OT and or TE+OT and forces the RB inside and the QB has to move in the opposite direction because he has built a wall that prevents roll outs. Watch the game he presses and contains keeping his edge which is great against the run and boot legs but it is never going to get you a sack. I have not seen one swim move or outside burn move this preseason. Every stunt he makes is inside and every outside rush is a bull rush.. I am telling you guys they are holding the leash on this guy and when they give him the green light all hell is going to break loose. The guy ran a 4.5, is quick as a cat, strong as an Bull, and has arms that are as long as an Ironing board. Come Phily people are going to be like what the hell is going on, and ESPN will be chocking on there B.S. remarks.
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #2
Texansfan36
Veteran

If that is the case then may God have mercy on Donovan.
Texansfan36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #3
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan36
If that is the case then may God have mercy on Donovan.
He'll have to. Richard Smith and this defense sure as heck won't.
Old 08-22-2006   #4
veazeyt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
I am not a betting man, but if I were I would put 5 on the idea that Mario is being told to go through the motions durring pre-season to keep from injuries. First off, I watch the guy and being a X-DE myself, I see that he is playing a line-containment technique. What I mean is he attacks the line and stands up the OT and or TE+OT and forces the RB inside and the QB has to move in the opposite direction because he has built a wall that prevents roll outs. Watch the game he presses and contains keeping his edge which is great against the run and boot legs but it is never going to get you a sack. I have not seen one swim move or outside burn move this preseason. Every stunt he makes is inside and every outside rush is a bull rush.. I am telling you guys they are holding the leash on this guy and when they give him the green light all hell is going to break loose. The guy ran a 4.5, is quick as a cat, strong as an Bull, and has arms that are as long as an Ironing board. Come Phily people are going to be like what the hell is going on, and ESPN will be chocking on there B.S. remarks.
I am buying this input, because occacionally, when I have been able to watch Mario, he seems to be playing in slowmotion some times. I thought it was because he is so big. I was wondering about spin and swim moves myself.
veazeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I noticed there's no swim move or anything either. You have more knowledge about it than I do, but what you've said seems accurate too me. I wonder if he is just going through the motions. I'd hope not because he is a rookie and he needs to learn all he can.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd have to agree and hinted at it a few days ago. mario seems to be doing a lot more learning & practicing the last two games than he did playing full throttle. if that is the case, i think it's the best thing for him. mario's weaknesses are obviously not physical, what he needs the most work on is assignment and technique. hopefully the coaches are having him work on those areas as much as possible during the reps he's getting during preseason. i do expect to see a different mario in game 4 and possibly game 3, because i think they'll do a little more turning him loose.
Old 08-22-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've heard, that bull-rushing and going around (at the DE) is all he knows how to do and that he has a lot learning to do, which will happen, of course. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see him break out suddenly against the Eagles.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2006   #8
veazeyt
Rookie

IF it is all true, for him to maintain his discipline for the sake of the team.

We really have a great sound and intelligent player. Any ego-centric player would have blwon the cover.
veazeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #9
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
From what I've heard, that bull-rushing and going around (at the DE) is all he knows how to do and that he has a lot learning to do, which will happen, of course. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see him break out suddenly against the Eagles.
Yeah, I haven't seen the swim move either. But this could be a technique that he just doesn't know well yet. He could have depended on his bull-rush and going around the outside in college.

So, the good news is that's he's a coaches dream player. And will learn. Two Reggie White moves that I want Mario to learn: The HEAD SLAP (Oh, I'm sorry OT! Are your ears ringing?) and the SMASH MOUTH (badump bump...)

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!

Last edited by Smash_Mouth_Mario; 08-22-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #10
texflex513
All Pro

Check out his highlight video on youtube he just seemed so much stronger than most of the guys a bull rush was all he needed... saw one of reggie whites moves in there though.. check it out if you havent already..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5R8y4gxE88
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513
Check out his highlight video on youtube he just seemed so much stronger than most of the guys a bull rush was all he needed... saw one of reggie whites moves in there though.. check it out if you havent already..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5R8y4gxE88
That tells me a lot right there. The guy never had to learn any moves. I think it's about time our coaches taught him a few.

Old 08-22-2006   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
That tells me a lot right there. The guy never had to learn any moves. I think it's about time our coaches taught him a few.
I have a feeling they already have, but this being pre-season (Yes Sir, I would like the plain vanilla please) I think that both our offense and blitzing will be brought out for the regular season only.

Divebomb: Interesting take on Williams, I believe you're onto something there. Good little read, welcome to the boards, and here's some positive rep for ya
Old 08-22-2006   #13
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Welcome Divebomb, and I agree with you on this one.

Mario, along with most of the team, is probably being told to stick to the basics, and save the best stuff for regular season. The whole first draft pick thing has got to be putting tremendous mental pressure on him, but I think as he continues to get used to playing with the big boys, he will put it behind him and hit his stride.

For whatever reason, Mario, Weaver, or the new coaching it looks like we have a D-Line this year!
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #14
lazzer65
Rookie

Default More Fuel to this Fire

Also, remember early on in training camp how Mario was reaking havoc against our Oline? Now it seems that he has either slowed down, or everyone else has just caught up. I'd put some faith in the fact that the coaches are maybe covering up his talent.

Conspiracy theory at it's best.

Dale
lazzer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Mental Pressure? I think Mario is being carried by his teammates, helping him along as best as they can. I think there is not much pressure on Mario.

He will be a beast!
Good point. Every time somebody disses Mario, Peek flattens somebody's QB, lol.

Old 08-22-2006   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Interesting theory. Thanks for sharing. As for the rest of this thread, some comments:

1. Bob Karmelowicz knows all of the tricks and is teaching them to Mario. Technique. If you google it, he even has a video. He is respected as someone who can develop a rookie DE. His workouts are so hard, I'm a guessing the games are a relief.

2. I heard a brief audio clip on 610 of Mario talking about moves. He said he is experimenting with different things this preseason. That the preseason is for trying stuff out. That seems to fly in the face of the observations made here, but thought I'd add it.

So there ya go.
Old 08-22-2006   #17
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

well he played pretty well against the rams for a guy that was being "held back" to prevent injury possibility. i agree with divebomb. i saw peek doing all sorts of spins and swims, but none from mario, and i know he his agile enough to do that stuff. im still not going to get cocky, but donovan better come prepared when he faces us because peek and williams are going to be wreaking some havok on their line.
Old 08-22-2006   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251670 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe that anyone is holding Mario Williams on a leash or telling him to hold back. I think what we're seeing is nothing more than a guy adjusting to the speed of the game at this level and the size/power of NFL offensive linemen. He's going to learn how to get around them given time but, as we've all seen in two preseason games he's not being given the reps he'll need to work out how to get through/around the guys he going against.

Also the coaches are fixated on moving him around for some reason. I'm less enthusiastic about that than they are but then again nobody is paying me to coach a defense so I'm optimistic that they know what they're doing here. I think we would see Mario a little farther ahead of where is now if the rest of our line was established and they were just leaving him in one spot consistently.
Old 08-22-2006   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I don't believe that anyone is holding Mario Williams on a leash or telling him to hold back. I think what we're seeing is nothing more than a guy adjusting to the speed of the game at this level and the size/power of NFL offensive linemen. He's going to learn how to get around them given time but, as we've all seen in two preseason games he's not being given the reps he'll need to work out how to get through/around the guys he going against.

Also the coaches are fixated on moving him around for some reason. I'm less enthusiastic about that than they are but then again nobody is paying me to coach a defense so I'm optimistic that they know what they're doing here. I think we would see Mario a little farther ahead of where is now if the rest of our line was established and they were just leaving him in one spot consistently.
From what they are saying, they are using the preseason to experiment with stuff. They don't have a lot to look at from last year, and there is only so much you can figure out in camp. So they are trying not to narrow in on one way of doing stuff before they really know what they have. Especially maybe when their personnel is not exactly what they want to have with what they are running.

I like seeing him do one thing more consistently, but I think I know where they are coming from.

I agree that they are not likely holding Mario back.
Old 08-22-2006   #20
real

I don't think anyone is holding him back either...he's a rookie, making rookie mistakes...As far as them moving him around; I like it..especially if he becomes as dominant as advertised...The reason i like it is because even if he is dominating at just the end spot the other team will get use to that penetration and adjust...the QB will know he needs to shuffle away from Mario while in the pocket...but by putting him all over the place you never give the offense a chance to get used to where the pressure is constantly coming from...It makes the offense feel like it could come from any where at any time...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read