Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Whos our 8th lineman?

So its pretty much confirmed that we are gonna have an 8 man rotation on the Dline.

7 of those players are pretty much (id say) set in stone.

Mario Williams
Anthony Weaver
Seth Payne
Robaire Smith
Jason Babin
Antwan Peek
Travis Johnson

Here are the candidates for the 8th spot.

N.D. Kalu
John Chick
Devarick Scandrett
Earl Cochran
Jeff Charleston

Now, alot of people assume it will be Kalu because we went out and signed him and he has "somewhat" of a name.

I havent seen anything in the games that led me to beleive that Kalu is better than any of these guys. Honestly, ive been impressed by Chick and Cochran.

Now, all of these guys have been playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers, so really you cant say who is better based on stats, and I personally have a hard time following who is who on the line when im watching the game.. so i cant for sure say who has done well and who hasnt.

So I thought id ask yall what you thought.

IMO, Kalu is probably the "safe pick"..but id take John Chick. My reasoning is that it is an 8 man rotation, and I dont see any of these guys being a real "playmaker" for us at this point in thier careers. Chick is a rookie and I see alot of upside in him, so id make him my 8th man so that he can start getting reps in real NFL games. By next offseason we should know exactly what we have in him. Id send Cochran and Scandrett to the PT.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

You forgot Alfred Malone.
Old 08-21-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Didnt forget him..just havent really seen anything from him to make me think he is really in the running.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #4
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Besides Malone I think Pettway needs to be mentioned also. At first he seems like yet another strongside LB, but lately it seems most of his reps have come at DL. Yes gameday will mean an eight man rotation, but Kubes has said more than once that he wants to carry 9 or even 10 DL. So basically for some games the eigth linemen will be an inside guy and for others it will be an outside guy, depending on the matchup. For example...
(just my opinion) against running teams: Weaver-RSmith-Payne-Mario (Peek-TJohnson-Cochran-Babin) which gives the team the top 4 run stuffing DTs, but vs. passing teams Mario-Weaver-Payne-Babin (Kalu-TJohnson-RSimth-Peek), which gives the team the top 4 passing ends, the three other canidates...

John Chick- more of a well rounded end than Kalu but does not offer experience
Pettway- The fifth best passing rushing end
Malone- The fifth best run stuffing tackle
Old 08-22-2006   #5
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Great thread....

Hrmmmmmm.........

I'd Take Earl Cochran because he is a DT and he displayed excelent penetrating ability.

I think were going to keep 9 D-lineman. Him and Kalu!
I hope we don't keep 9 DL...I think that would take away from other positions
Old 08-22-2006   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

kalu. with 4 DT's (weaver, payne, smith, johnson), and mario moving inside pretty often to make 5, i'd rather see an edge rusher available. besides, of the backups mentioned, ND's got the most experience. also, i expect us to be in blitz packages pretty often, so we're going to need backup for the ends much more than the tackles (assuming we're healthy of course).
Old 08-22-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the average # kept for all the positions? I know we are gonna keep 9 or 10 O-linemen and I think it's (what?) 5 receivers? Three QBs? Three RBs?

How many cheerleaders do I get to keep?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
kalu. with 4 DT's (weaver, payne, smith, johnson), and mario moving inside pretty often to make 5, i'd rather see an edge rusher available. besides, of the backups mentioned, ND's got the most experience. also, i expect us to be in blitz packages pretty often, so we're going to need backup for the ends much more than the tackles (assuming we're healthy of course).
What if Mario learns some moves and starts dominating at RDE? We may not need all those blitz packages. I think? Really, I don't know at all. :

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
What's the average # kept for all the positions? I know we are gonna keep 9 or 10 O-linemen and I think it's (what?) 5 receivers? Three QBs? Three RBs?

How many cheerleaders do I get to keep?
I was hoping we could keep 6 recievers...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read