Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans will continue to look for new players

Texans | Team will continue to look for new players
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:40:43 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, general manager Rick Smith and the personnel department will be claiming many, many players on waivers, especially wide receivers, outside linebackers and cornerbacks. They also want a defensive tackle. They won't pass up a running back they believe will fit into their system. Any cuts from the Denver Broncos may be in play, because Kubiak used to coach there.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be shocked if they don't grab any fullbacks that get cut.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be more at ease with some solid depth at CB and WR.
Old 08-21-2006   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I'll be shocked if they don't grab any fullbacks that get cut.
It's Jopprus death knell for making the roster if they pick up a fullback.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
It's Jopprus death knell for making the roster if they pick up a fullback.
I diagree. Bennie has looked pretty good this pre-season in his playing time, and I think he brings some intangibles in the form of enthusiam that might turn into leadership down the road.

We shall see. The cut down days are going to be very interesting this year. I think some of our cuts will be picked up immediately by another team for a change.
Old 08-21-2006   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If we have first dibs on the waiver wire, I'd like to see us grab a quality kicker. They are in abundance on certain teams...and Kris Brown missing a chip shot in a preseason game has got me tweaked.

I had his back during the Bush Bowl controversy, thinking he was doing it on purpose, but now I think he's done.

But hey, if there are better ways to spend our first waiver wire acquisition...then I am cool with it. I can understand Kubiak going after a higher value guy with the first waiver wire acquisition if it means guaranteeing we get a certain player: RB, CB, or LB are all positions we need immediate help in.

Wasn't impressed with Chris Taylor.
Old 08-21-2006   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we take 4 TEs into the season. If so, then Bennie makes it. If three?????????

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2006   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
If we have first dibs on the waiver wire, I'd like to see us grab a quality kicker. They are in abundance on certain teams...and Kris Brown missing a chip shot in a preseason game has got me tweaked.

I had his back during the Bush Bowl controversy, thinking he was doing it on purpose, but now I think he's done.

But hey, if there are better ways to spend our first waiver wire acquisition...then I am cool with it. I can understand Kubiak going after a higher value guy with the first waiver wire acquisition if it means guaranteeing we get a certain player: RB, CB, or LB are all positions we need immediate help in.

Wasn't impressed with Chris Taylor.
I don't think we get just one first choice pick, I think we get first dibs on ANY player that comes available, so we can grab pretty much any player we want. Just have to make roster room is all I think we have to do.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976

We should sign Morten Andersen for 1-2 seasons, let him become the most scoring player in NFL history, and we'll get a solid short-mid(sometimes long) kicker.

He's a free agent, willing and able to play. We could probably get him for cheap too
Old 08-21-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
I think we take 4 TEs into the season. If so, then Bennie makes it. If three?????????
Hey Edo, since the game is out your way you'll be able to see it on local TV.
Or perhaps you're going down to Denver to see it in person ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #11
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I thought we were definatly deep at WR... maybe I was wrong
Old 08-21-2006   #12
HOOK'EM
Veteran

I hope we can find some more quality secondary.
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
I thought we were definatly deep at WR... maybe I was wrong
I think it is a matter of noone really showing up after Walter, although I haven't seen much from him.

DLew had a nice grab but we shall see.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #14
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Well, Schifino made a tough catch that would have hit his ankles from Rosenfels and Anderson looked good IMO, Walters has been taking coverage with him freeing up our other receivers, so I think the 4th and 5th WR positions are between Anderson, Lewis, and Schifino, but thats my opinion and they wont let me work in the personnel office no matter how many times I ask
Old 08-21-2006   #15
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Any one else heard the Lions may cut one of their 1st round receivers? It'd be kinda freaky to have Charles Rogers and AJ on the same team.

Freaky, but cool.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #16
HeartofHouston
Veteran

The only thing I'm worried about is the CB position..
Old 08-21-2006   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
I don't think we get just one first choice pick, I think we get first dibs on ANY player that comes available, so we can grab pretty much any player we want. Just have to make roster room is all I think we have to do.
Uhh, I think that's pretty much what I was saying. We get the first shot at a player who is put on waivers, when waivers are released.

I doubt we'll choose to pursue a kicker with that choice, especially if a pretty good CB or LB or even Rb becomes available.
Old 08-21-2006   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

File this away in your list of things that make you say hmmmm.

Gary Kubiak was doing his radio show tonight, and the subject of Kris Brown and his erratic midrange kicks came up.

And his response was that he had all the confidence in the world in Kris, and then moved on. Immediately.

And I found this interesting because generally he hasn't been terribly shy in calling out players, but my theory with this one is that he knows that kicking is a skill set that depends on confidence, and that he doesn't have any realistic better options (salary cap, available kickers, need for roster space on trying out other positions) and he needs to spend his energies on other parts of the team--the bigger fish to fry.

FWIW.
Old 08-21-2006   #19
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I am wondering if Kris will make it through the year? Only time will tell. Run this through you Brain. Texans are tied in the Super Bowl at the 28 yard line. Do you want Kris Brown making that kick?
Old 08-21-2006   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching the Cowboys game, that field goal that Tyler Fredrickson made at the end was impressive. Straight down the middle, 49 yards. The other kicker they played, Shaun Suisham, went 2 for 2 on field goals. One was a 26 yarder, the other a 42 yarder. Of course, 2 field goals for one guy and 1 field goal for another guy doesn't give you a whole lot of information. Just trying to throw names out there though.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read