Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2006   #1
DreDaMan05
Rookie

Default D. Davis

Do to the play of our young RB, if DD could make it back for the opener against the Eagles would you start him?
DreDaMan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

No. Unless he plays in a preseason game and has actual contact, I wouldn't start him. I would play him if he's ready, but not as the starting RB.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #3
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
No. Unless he plays in a preseason game and has actual contact, I wouldn't start him. I would play him if he's ready, but not as the starting RB.
Exactly. Once he puts the pads on, he still needs to get in game shape.
Old 08-20-2006   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDaMan05
Do to the play of our young RB, if DD could make it back for the opener against the Eagles would you start him?
No. He still has to work into the system. We don't want him in there until he's totally comfortable with the system AND he's feeling good. Especially if we've got guys we trust playing and can give him that time.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #5
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Probably wouldn't start him, but I sure would like to see him in on a drive or two to "test the water" early in the game. Considering how he has done in previous years behind less than solid blocking, I think he really deserves the chance.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Depends on what he looks like in practice. But if he tells coach he is ready to play on Monday, he should start Sunday........ depending on what he looks like in practice.
Old 08-21-2006   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

With the way Morency and Lundy are playing right now, DD may have to earn his spot back (which is not a bad thing).
Old 08-21-2006   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are we even continuing to talk about Domanick Davis? Isn't it fairly evident his career is over?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #9
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
With the way Morency and Lundy are playing right now, DD may have to earn his spot back (which is not a bad thing).
Plus both of those guys can pickup a block if need be.

I say sit him till week 4 and then bring him in on 3rd downs.
Old 08-21-2006   #10
killeentexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu
Plus both of those guys can pickup a block if need be.

I say sit him till week 4 and then bring him in on 3rd downs.
I disagree with most everyone in this topic so far. I think Davis, when healthy, has proven over the past 3 years what he is capable of. I don't think either Morency or Lundy have proven anything based on 2 meaningless preseason games. If healthy, and he will have to show he is healthy during practice, I would start Davis every time. The league is full of marginal players who light it up during the preseason. While I'm not saying that Morency and Lundy are marginal players, they have yet to show me anything when it counts - Davis has. If Davis is truly hurt worse then I hope and he misses significant time, then I believe we're in good shape based on the first couple of preseason games. However, I'll take proven regular season production over preseason production when/if available.

and oh by the way - Lundy can't block to save his (or his QB's) life.
killeentexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO Morency is just a faster DD who can block, if he stays consistent, the job should be Morency's.
Old 08-21-2006   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Unfortunately I think the reality is that either DD will be cut or put on some sort of injured list before the start of the season. I think they will evaluate him at the bye week if he is on an injured list. He's to valueable a commodity if he's going to be OK. Cloacknndagger probably has this one correct. I think DD is probably through unless he has additional surgery that can clear up his problems assuming they are not chronic. If they are chronic then another player bits the dust based on overwork by Capers and company when it didn't mean anything.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
IMO Morency is just a faster DD who can block, if he stays consistent, the job should be Morency's.

on most all of Morency's big runs, they were straight up run blocking plays....... the whole is going to be here, hit it, and hit it hard.... and he did.

I'd like to see him on a stretch play where he has to choose which whole to hit. I'd like to see him do it with the consistency DD has.
Old 08-21-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeentexan
I disagree with most everyone in this topic so far.
You are free to disagree (it's America!), but many of us follow what Kubiak says about the matter.

Quote:
The coaches plan to give two backs a lot of carries in the regular season unless one emerges as the clear-cut winner in the competition to excel in the system Kubiak and Calhoun brought from Denver.

"I envision us playing more than one guy," Kubiak said. "We'll play two for sure. We might play three. We'll definitely have a system where we'll rotate so we're not wearing out one guy."

To be one of those backs, a runner has to block, especially on blitz pickup. If the back can't help protect quarterback David Carr, then he won't be on the field.
I'm not down on DD and have always liked him. But the fact remains that he has never played a full season without sitting out for injury, and the latest news isn't great on his immediate return from rehab.

We've got to face a reality that DD might not be the answer anymore.
Old 08-21-2006   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
on most all of Morency's big runs, they were straight up run blocking plays....... the whole is going to be here, hit it, and hit it hard.... and he did.

I'd like to see him on a stretch play where he has to choose which whole to hit. I'd like to see him do it with the consistency DD has.
Yeah but Davis would've been caught from behind after 20 yards
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #16
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

We've got to face a reality that DD might not be the answer anymore.
IMO, DD has never been the "answer"....I never thought DD was the type of running back that could carry a team and be an everydown back....But with him, Morency, and Lundy all splitting carries we could have a heck of a running game...
Old 08-21-2006   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Does it really matter? He got the job done, he averaged 8.6 yards per carry, scored 2 TD's, and his longest run was 43 yards, in Davis' last 2 seasons his longest run has only been 44 yards. And the hole is not always going to be there, good defenses find ways to stop the run and plug holes. And did you see the broken tackles and second effort Vernand was making all night while he was in?
Old 08-21-2006   #18
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
IMO, DD has never been the "answer"....I never thought DD was the type of running back that could carry a team and be an everydown back....But with him, Morency, and Lundy all splitting carries we could have a heck of a running game...
I thought I was the only one who felt this way, good post.
Old 08-21-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Yeah but Davis would've been caught from behind after 20 yards
Not on that play...... DD would have taken it to the house..... from inside the 50, DD is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Does it really matter? He got the job done, he averaged 8.6 yards per carry, scored 2 TD's, and his longest run was 43 yards, in Davis' last 2 seasons his longest run has only been 44 yards. And the hole is not always going to be there, good defenses find ways to stop the run and plug holes. And did you see the broken tackles and second effort Vernand was making all night while he was in?
I'm just saying we know DD can do it, and has done it against the NFL for the last three years. Morency looks good...... Lundy looks good. but before I start them over DD, I need to see them do it when it counts.
Old 08-21-2006   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Not on that play...... DD would have taken it to the house..... from inside the 50, DD is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball
I'm not sure about that.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read