Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2006   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Texans: What were you wrong about?

Ok, here's an idea I had for a thread that is technically a Texans subject but it's got just as much to do with each of the message board posters and how they approach rooting for "our" team.

What I'd like to know is what one (or more if you're so inclined) thing were you completely wrong about since the Texans started play in 2002? What player that didn't work out did you think was going to make a difference to this team or what player that you thought was useless turned out to be an asset? Name one thing about the Texans that you were positive would be one way and instead turned out completely different.

If you would like you can also throw in something you were positive about and got 100% correct.

For me that "thing I got wrong" would be Tony Boselli's shoulder. I bought that story hook, line, and sinker and thought he was going to play for us right up until the night that SoCal came here and leaked that Tony would retire the next day. Now being wrong about one player isn't that big a deal but it started (at least for me) a period of two or so years where I bought into every crazy idea the coaching staff came up with right up until they foisted Victor Riley on us. That's when I got wise, aa little later than I should have IMO.

Cutting the sacks down in 2003 helped convince me that we were just about there (as soon as Tony gets on the field we'll have a heck of an offensive line!) but now, looking back on it all I honestly don't think the people we had putting the whole thing together were even close to being on the same page (Dom, Chris, and later Joe Pendry) and so you could have probably given them 5-7 Pro Bowl linemen and they still would have looked like they didn't know what they were doing.

My second completely wrong about that story was Tony Hollings. I thought Hollings was going to be some kind of Terrell Davis who we lucked out and stole in the supplemental draft. I could not have been more wrong about a player. Tony couldn't have been more ordinary. I'm not sure but I think we've signed better street free agents than this guy. What an obscene waste of a 2.
Old 08-20-2006   #2
KKHouston
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Ok, here's an idea I had for a thread that is technically a Texans subject but it's got just as much to do with each of the message board posters and how they approach rooting for "our" team.

What I'd like to know is what one (or more if you're so inclined) thing since 2002 that you were completely wrong about. What player that didn't work out did you think was going to make a difference to this team or what player that you thought was useless turned out to be an asset? Name one thing about the Texans that you were positive would be one way and instead turned out completely different.

If you would like you can also throw in something you were positive about and got 100% correct.

For me that "thing I got wrong" would be Tony Boselli's shoulder. I bought that story hook, line, and sinker and thought he was going to play for us right up until the night that SoCal came here and leaked that Tony would retire the next day. Now being wrong about one player isn't that big a deal but it started (at least for me) a period of two or so years where I bought into every ****-eyed idea the coaching staff came up with right up until they foisted Victor Riley on us. That's when I got wise, aa little later than I should have IMO.

Cutting the sacks down in 2003 helped convince me that we were just about there (as soon as Tony gets on the field we'll have a heck of an offensive line!) but now, looking back on it all I honestly don't think the people we had putting the whole thing together were even close to being on the same page (Dom, Chris, and later Joe Pendry) and so you could have probably given them 5-7 Pro Bowl linemen and they still would have looked like they didn't know what they were doing.

My second completely wrong about that story was Tony Hollings. I thought Hollings was going to be some kind of Terrell Davis who we lucked out and stole in the supplemental draft. I could not have been more wrong about a player. Tony couldn't have been more ordinary. I'm not sure but I think we've signed better street free agents than this guy. What an obscene waste of a 2.

P. Buc
Old 08-20-2006   #3
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

I thought Dom Capers was a good coach.

I thought we would have a winning season last year.

I thought we should draft Reggie Bush.

I thought Gaffney was going to step up last year.

I thought Buchanon would start at CB this year.

I thought we should have hired Al Saunders.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, i'LL admit it. When Sharper and Glenn were released, I actually bought into the younger, faster defense idea.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #5
Jwwillis
All Pro

I was wrong about

Hollings
Pbuc
The entire 2005 season - (I was an anti-sky-is-falling poster last year in preseason...and the sky fell)
Miller
Gaffney
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #6
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I messed up on Hollings as well. I actually thought maybe theyll spend a 2nd on this great GA Tech RB that has speed...then they actually did it. The problem is that I really didn't know much of anything about NFL football/drafts back then. (I didn't really start following the game again until Houston/Dallas squared off in 2002). So I definitely missed on him being a great runner.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #7
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

good thread idea herv ....

My first reaction to the PBuc trade was akin to smelling dogc**p .... (right, so far)
My first reaction to the Wade signing was a smile .......... (wrong wrong wrong)
Old 08-20-2006   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Ragone to start... Perhaps I still do
Old 08-20-2006   #9
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Being a huge Georgia Tech fan, I am going with the consensus on Hollings.

I watched the kid play at Tech and was amazed. When I found out the Texans drafted him I was ecstatic. But we all know how that story ends.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #10
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
I wanted Ragone to start... Perhaps I still do
This is starting to feel like a theropy thread.
Old 08-20-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Boselli and Babin
Old 08-20-2006   #12
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Is Greed
Being a huge Georgia Tech fan, I am going with the consensus on Hollings.

I watched the kid play at Tech and was amazed. When I found out the Texans drafted him I was ecstatic. But we all know how that story ends.
Actually it hasn't ended. He plays for da Bears. I still wish the kid good.
Old 08-20-2006   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wrong about . . .

the 3-4 defense.

I thought that, given at least 4 years of molding and acquiring the right players . . . Capers would have a Steeler type defense that would be the identity of the team.

I still can't understand why it didn't turn out that way.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Ok, i'LL admit it. When Sharper and Glenn were released, I actually bought into the younger, faster defense idea.
I still buy into that.

For me it all starts with the coaching staff. I was sure Capers and the 3-4 D would be a great thing. I mean look how successful everyone else was with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I completely thought that Mathis would develop into our #2 receiver
I believed Robinson + Buchannon would be the best CB duo in the NFL
I thought Joppru would come back every year
I thought we were going to sign Orlando Pace
I thought we were going to the playoffs last year
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wrong about Boselli. I was wrong about Jermaine Lewis, Ryan Young was supposed to be our young tackle of the future on the right side until injuries.

I bought into the younger leaner faster defense.. for 2005, I thought we had hope for the OL after the 2004 season.

milford brown, I thought would be with us still (reading the draft bios) and I figured Hollings was a boom or bust thin, but went with the potential that Hollings gave, so I imagine I was wrong about that too..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers, I actually thought he would be a good head caoch.
Bossellie - thought it was just a matter of time
Wade - I guess I just wanted an O-line so bad.
That We would be better on Defense just because we got younger.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #18
Johnny Utah
All Pro

I was wrong for buying into Casserly's nonsense.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
Actually it hasn't ended. He plays for da Bears. I still wish the kid good.
No, actually he's moved on again. He's a Colt now. So far this preseason he has zero carries and one reception for 8 yards if I'm not mistaken.

In the meantime if you go to NFL.com and look at the individual rushing stats Houston has 3 guys in the top 30. Lundy is #3, Morency is at 7, and Chris Taylor is at 30. Proves nothing but while these guys are in motion Tony is still basically in "Park" just like he was for 3 years here in Houston.

This is a running offense. We're gonna run and run and run some more. If there was anything to find in Tony Hollings I think Kubiak & Co. would have spotted it and at least made an effort to get him to come back on the cheap to test drive him.
Old 08-20-2006   #20
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan
Unhappy

Capers turning this team into a playoff contender in the second or 3rd yr.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read