Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-20-2006   #1
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gaffney Ready To Challenge

Apparently, Gaffney's stepping it up recently in Philly

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ho...l.jsp?id=53671
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gaff had a good game the other night. Hope it works out well for him in Philly.....except on week one of course.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Regarding Jabar Gaffney

I found this on the Eagles messageboard:

Quote:
Finally, Gaffney shows he can play

By: REUBEN FRANK (Sun, Aug/20/2006)

Finally, something from Jabar Gaffney.

After a miserable first few weeks of training camp, Gaffney finally showed up late Thursday night in the fourth quarter of the Eagles' preseason game against the Ravens in Baltimore.

OK, so it was against the Ravens' backups. And it was long after most fans had shut off their TVs. And it was only four catches for 37 yards.

Still, it was the first time anybody has seen Gaffney actually go out and make some plays, and that in itself is encouraging.

"I feel a little bit better," Gaffney said. "I got to get some work in. Coach let me play the whole second half and a little bit of the second quarter. I got a lot of plays in and got to work with (three) different quarterbacks.

"It's moving along, moving along. I feel pretty good working with the offense. I just need to keep practicing. If the coaches get more confidence in me, I can move on and take a more important role."

The Eagles signed Gaffney away from the Texans to assume an important role. Possibly a starter and at worst No. 3 receiver. But his sluggish start to training camp dropped him below undrafted rookie Hank Baskett on the depth chart and then below Darnerien McCants.

Not counting injured Todd Pinkston, Gaffney is the only wide receiver on the roster who's ever caught 50 balls in a season. He caught 55 a year ago. As much as they like Brown's promise and Baskett's potential and McCants' improvement, they need Gaffney's experience and steady hands.

The last week at Lehigh, the coaches started to see progress.

"He's coming, he's coming along pretty good," offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said last week. "He's kind of put it all together. That may be a comfort type thing for him, where he's not having to think as much, and he's going about his business in a fast and quick way. He's shown up."

Thursday night, Gaffney built on that good week of practice. He caught a couple passes from Koy Detmer early in the fourth quarter, then brought in two Timmy Chang passes later in the quarter, including an 18-yarder down to the Ravens' 30-yard-line.

It wasn't much. But considering where Gaffney's been, it was a big step.

"That's what it's all about - whether it's the first quarter, third quarter of fourth quarter you have to show what you can do," said Gaffney, who had one catch for seven yards in the Eagles' first two preseason games.

"I played better, I just want to keep on progressing. Don't get happy with anything I did (Thursday). I know there were things I didn't do right. I'm sure when we get back (to practice tomorrow), I'll try to get better at those things."

Now what?

Gaffney will get more opportunities to play on Friday night, when the Eagles face the Steelers at the Linc, and with the starters not expected to play at all, he will probably play a great deal in the final preseason game.

"I'm ready," he said. "I'm going to stay on call."

"First roster cut - down to 75 - isn't until a week from Tuesday. The Eagles finish the five-game preseason Sept. 1 at the Meadowlands against the Jets. Final cuts, to 53, must be made by the next afternoon ... Eagles players have their third straight day off today before getting back to work at the NovaCare Complex for a single workout tomorrow.

Burlington County Times sports writer Tom Rimback contributed to this story.

E-mail: REUBEN FRANK
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #4
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 62902 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
I found this on the Eagles messageboard:
By: REUBEN FRANK (Sun, Aug/20/2006)

Finally, something from Jabar Gaffney.

After a miserable first few weeks of training camp, Gaffney finally showed up late Thursday night in the fourth quarter of the Eagles' preseason game against the Ravens in Baltimore.

OK, so it was against the Ravens' backups. And it was long after most fans had shut off their TVs. And it was only four catches for 37 yards.

Still, it was the first time anybody has seen Gaffney actually go out and make some plays, and that in itself is encouraging.

"I feel a little bit better," Gaffney said. "I got to get some work in. Coach let me play the whole second half and a little bit of the second quarter. I got a lot of plays in and got to work with (three) different quarterbacks.

"It's moving along, moving along. I feel pretty good working with the offense. I just need to keep practicing. If the coaches get more confidence in me, I can move on and take a more important role."

The Eagles signed Gaffney away from the Texans to assume an important role. Possibly a starter and at worst No. 3 receiver. But his sluggish start to training camp dropped him below undrafted rookie Hank Baskett on the depth chart and then below Darnerien McCants." Yada Yada Yada etc.

I was under the impression we released Gaffney.

Writers license with the truth or am I wrong about this?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read