Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Interesting Guard Talk by Kubiak

From his presser:

(on Chester Pitts playing tackle) “ Chester is going to stay at guard. Chester needs to play guard well for us if we’re going to win. He’s in a battle right now to start with (G Seth) McKinney and (G Fred) Weary. He has to continue to get better as a guard for our football team. I don’t see him going out there. If anything else, you may see (T) Ephraim (Salaam) getting a few reps at left tackle. You may see (T Eric) Winston at left tackle. The experimental stage is over. We have to stand pat, and we have to get better at what we’re doing.”

(on the starting guards) “Yes, I think we have three starting guards with him (Chester Pitts), (G Fred) Weary and Steve McKinney. Between those three, two of them are going to start on opening day. That’s a competition, I think I’ve said that since day one. Chester has done a good job, he did some things better this week, he has to continue to get better for us. Who those two out of three will be, I don’t know. I think there’s two starters there, but they only let you line up with two on opening day. Who those two will be, we’ll wait and see.”

(on Fred Weary’s play last night) “He played well again, but it’s very much expected because that’s the way he’s practicing. He has played well, and he was solid once again. With Chester , don’t get me wrong, but he was better this week than he was last week, but there’s still some more stuff to take. He can play better.”

(on Steve McKinney’s injury) “He twisted his ankle pretty good about a week and a half ago. He struggled with that and came back. He had a slight groin pull on Wednesday or Thursday of last week. Had it been a regular season game he would have played. We made that decision Friday night to hold him because we think it would have set him back. He will play a ton this week. He’ll make up all his reps and all that time this week, so it’s just a hard decision not to press the issue.”

Is it possible Pitts won't be the starter come the 1st of the season? I think its interesting given some of the heat I have taken since I've been critical of Pitts. I hope he does get better as Kubiak wants. I simply think he has been a bigger problem than most people understand or think and I think Kubiak is eluding to that. Pitts is in a competitive match with Weary and McKinney. I find that interesting.

I still firmly believe Pitts belongs on the right side of the line, but I'm certainly not going to argue with Kubiak and Sherman. What I see, however, is a recognition that he may have started 4 years like Carr, but he too has some things to learn. Its also interesting another also ran - Weary - has caught the eye of this staff. Apparently they saw things on tape that they liked. I believe Pitts, just like Carr, is a product of the previous coaching staff. I don't think they did him any favors just like the rest of the players.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Pitts has never played on the right side of the line, Pro or College. Tell me what sends you to this conclusion other than just making a statement that he should play there.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #3
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Pitts has never played on the right side of the line, Pro or College. Tell me what sends you to this conclusion other than just making a statement that he should play there.
I actually thought Pitts should be on the right side too because i was under the impression that the right side of the line was the bigger/stronger side while the left was the quicker side. That doesn't appear to be the case with this system though because Spencer and Wand are bigger than Winston and Wiegert. I'm assuming that this is because we roll our right handed QB out to the right so much that we want our most athletic (I know they are ALL athletic) linemen on that side. Somebody smarter than me tell me if I have this right.
Old 08-20-2006   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If anyone on the OL is worried its McKinney not Chester . OK I'll say it Pitts is a better gaurd than Carr is a QB at this stage . I did not want to do that but you made me Ibar .
Old 08-20-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think IBar believes Pitts should be on the right side because he somehow believes Chester is not a good mentor, or is not helpful and supportive of one of the younger, mores inexperienced guys playing next to him at the all important LT position. But I'll let him speak for himself.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Ibar wants Mary Poppins playing left gaurd to properly nurture Carr . wink wink
Old 08-20-2006   #7
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

What's funny is, Kubiak is using that same tough love on Pitts that he's using on Carr. He knows that potetnially, those two guys can be GREAT players, but they need some prodding.

I'm all for it.
Old 08-20-2006   #8
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I think IBar believes Pitts should be on the right side because he somehow believes Chester is not a good mentor, or is not helpful and supportive of one of the younger, mores inexperienced guys playing next to him at the all important LT position. But I'll let him speak for himself.
Hmmm, guess you read my mind. In addition I think Pitts like to play aggressively down field. He wants to go forward and engage. I just think he is better suited to the other side of the field where his aggression would be of more value.
Old 08-20-2006   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the link to the post-game presser???
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #10
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
What's the link to the post-game presser???
On this Web Site. You can find them all if you press multimedia....
Old 08-20-2006   #11
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

I think this shows how Kubiak is great at player development. He is creating as many position battles in preseason as possible to make the starters and depth better.

I only worry a little about the possibility of disgruntled players later. When it seems like such a close battle and someone loses, they might be sitting on the pine thinking they should be on the field somewhere.

However, I am sure it is better to have competition and a few disgruntled players than to have starters that think they are a lock to be in the lineup.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read