Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Besides the obvious:Evaluate Coaching staff

Besides the obvious of 2 wins in preseason, How would you evaluate the coaching staff? As far as adjustments and such.

I haven't really got to see a game (thank you NFL and no local feeds in S.A. area) so I get some feeling from the gameday threads here.

Offensively
Against the Rams, (from what I read) Spencer struggled in the first series and we took him out, put Wand in, and then came back with Spencer (and seemed he did well) after the rookie jitters (I guess) went away.

some of you guys that watched the game can comment more on how Kubiak adjusted the offense, I only got to read the play by play and not formation and such

Defensively

I don't know the way R.Smith planned to play defense, but seemed to me he matched up with what the Rams were doing .. they blitzed often, well we played fire with fire then (maybe we planned on blitzing too, not sure)

If I read correctly we put our 2nd string D-line in for the goalline stance..Rams standpoint they probably hated that, our standpoint, we wanted to see what our guys can do.

Special Teams

marciano... looks like Stanley (hate him or love him)is in midseason form, I still don't recall a touchback and seemed everytime I looked, Rams Fair caught the ball (haven't seen distance or hangtime yet) and Ray Finkle,,err Kris Brown.. I like Kris, but wondering what the heck has happened to some of his short kicks? lack of concentrations? laces out? where is ace Ventura to investigate this.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

again, my observations are 3rd party observations on what I read here... some that have watched the game probably have a better grasp
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
again, my observations are 3rd party observations on what I read here... some that have watched the game probably have a better grasp
I'm waiting until I get to see the game tomorrow. Right now, I'm in the same boat you are.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #4
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

overall - MUCH improved from previous staff </obvious statement> It still rings in my head Moulds statement of them not game planning for Rams blitzing / pressure style. Looking forward to the next game as Kubiak, I believe, said he's game planning this week for this one like it's a regular season game (practices, meetings, etc)

offense - again, comparing to previous staff - much better. O-line to only give up 1 sack in 2 games - impressive. The game is schemed more to the players strengths it seems. Liking the balanced pass / run and actually using the short game to setup the long plays.

defense - 3rd verse, same as the first. d-line is doing wonders overall with the pressure. Need to find a medium between the pass def. again KC and run def. against the Rams... maybe we'll see this next game? Secondary still has some concerns.

special teams - coach-wise, seem to be consistant from last year - doing their part like they should. PB good as a PR, Taylor looked slow as KR. Though both were able to get good field position. Kris Brown - time to get consistant on FG's, especially the close ones. Great you can hit them from 40+ yards, but we need them all.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's just say that I was in euphoria when I saw that TE screen to Putzier.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #6
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

What I like:
Work with the players 1 on 1.
Get after players to be better instead of a "Whatever" attitude.
Guts to draft who they feel they need in spite of the "experts" opinions.
Instilling the players with a winning attitude.
Go for the win instead of hanging around on the sidelines with their mouths open wondering what the Hell went wrong.
Promote the TEAM over individuals.

What I don't like:
ummm, ummm, ummm..... Oh yeah... I don't think I will be able to use the leftover bags for my head from last year.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #7
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

The main things I have noticed were the worst two things last year. Our O-line and D-line are a lot better. Everyone saw what both were like last year so I will leave the graphic details out of this. If we continue to block like we have been I don't see why we shouldn't at least be .500 at the end of this year.

I like to keep my expectations reasonable playoffs are always welcomed.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2006   #8
touttail
All Pro

KC game----first two plays were pass plays.
We did pass to our TE's.
We won!
Rams game------first play was a pass play.
We did pass to our TE's.
We won!

Nuff said!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #9
K.D.
Veteran

All I have to say is that we will win a few more games than expected just from the coaching of Kube's and crew.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

There is energy around our team now. Kubiak's leadership has definitely become the foundation for everything else.

You see it in the way plays are called, where we are now being flexible and countering what the other side is doing. There was a running play with a trap set up, and the announcers were mentioning that this was definitely a direct result of Mike Sherman. It was old school football...smash mouth. That kind of collaboration and cohesiveness is an exact reversal of the last regime's style. This staff is slowly becoming a machine built to power a football team.
Old 08-20-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
There is energy around our team now. Kubiak's leadership has definitely become the foundation for everything else.

You see it in the way plays are called, where we are now being flexible and countering what the other side is doing. There was a running play with a trap set up, and the announcers were mentioning that this was definitely a direct result of Mike Sherman. It was old school football...smash mouth. That kind of collaboration and cohesiveness is an exact reversal of the last regime's style. This staff is slowly becoming a machine built to power a football team.
Says I have to wait and spread the rep before I give it to ya...but as far as I'm concerned ya got it!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #12
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Positives:

More knowledge on the offensive side.

Better player development.

Better team development.

Negatives:

Might become more difficult to get tickets.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #13
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 1482 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Besides the obvious of 2 wins in preseason, How would you evaluate the coaching staff? As far as adjustments and such.

I haven't really got to see a game (thank you NFL and no local feeds in S.A. area) so I get some feeling from the gameday threads here.

Offensively
Against the Rams, (from what I read) Spencer struggled in the first series and we took him out, put Wand in, and then came back with Spencer (and seemed he did well) after the rookie jitters (I guess) went away.

some of you guys that watched the game can comment more on how Kubiak adjusted the offense, I only got to read the play by play and not formation and such

Defensively

I don't know the way R.Smith planned to play defense, but seemed to me he matched up with what the Rams were doing .. they blitzed often, well we played fire with fire then (maybe we planned on blitzing too, not sure)

If I read correctly we put our 2nd string D-line in for the goalline stance..Rams standpoint they probably hated that, our standpoint, we wanted to see what our guys can do.

Special Teams

marciano... looks like Stanley (hate him or love him)is in midseason form, I still don't recall a touchback and seemed everytime I looked, Rams Fair caught the ball (haven't seen distance or hangtime yet) and Ray Finkle,,err Kris Brown.. I like Kris, but wondering what the heck has happened to some of his short kicks? lack of concentrations? laces out? where is ace Ventura to investigate this.
I like what I'm seeing from the coaching staff. I think R. Smith is the unknown. He wasn't THE D.Coord. last year and this defense has given up alot of yards from 20 to 20. I think they've played well in the Red Zone. I see the CBs giving alot of room to receivers and that worries me. I'm not ready to make a call. I think we have to get into the season and see; I'm just afraid we may give up alot early, but I have faith that this staff will show improvement week to week.....including Smith.
Old 08-20-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn
I think R. Smith is the unknown. He wasn't THE D.Coord. last year and this defense has given up alot of yards from 20 to 20. I think they've played well in the Red Zone.
FYI--the Texans are actually 13th in yards per game given up right now--not great, but a whole lot better than 31st. Way too early to tell though.
Old 08-20-2006   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
FYI--the Texans are actually 13th in yards per game given up right now--not great, but a whole lot better than 31st. Way too early to tell though.
I wonder if ESPN should be made aware of that stat. Good reason for having Mario isn't it. Actually I like the way this team is coming along. I keep saying this is going to be a special season and I have seen nothing yet to change my mind. In fact my 1 worry was RB, but it looks like we have solved that problem.

On special teams we don't have as great a kick returner, but we have perhapes a far better punt returner. I commented way back win that the loss of the kick returner was not as important as a punt returner. If our defense holds the other team we won't see that many kickoffs, but we will see a lot of punts. The ability to get us in good position is going to be worth its weight in Gold. If you hold the other team scoreless you will only see one kickoff in the game.

Kubiak is doing a masterful job with this team and your stat is one of the many indicators that we have come a long way.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #16
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we should have ran the ball a lot more since the Rams were blitzing so much at the begining.................Remeber Ludys big run that CARR audibled to the other side, great read by Carr.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Night and day difference from the first four years, so far in the coaching and play calling.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read