Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2006   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pre-Season Sack Responsibility

Every year there is a lot of dicussion about who is responsible for sacks so maybe we can keep a running discussion on each one. Hopefully there won't be many to discuss.

Pre-season Sack 1--Texans @ Rams--1st qtr 14:16

I'd put this one squarely on Lundy failing to pick up the blitzing LB.
Old 08-20-2006   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, I saw a replay of the entire 1st quarter and the Oline was doing a good job, Lundy just didn't pick up the blitz.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #3
AFD1717
Veteran

That's not unusual for a rookie RB.
Old 08-20-2006   #4
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Lundy cannot block anyone period. I'm just thankful that Morency was quickly put in to shore up that problem. He did an outstanding job stopping anyone coming in.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
Lundy cannot block anyone period.
Little early to be making that determination. Blocking is something most RB's have to work on once they hit the NFL and is coachable. They need to get him cut blocking the way Morency was repeatedly.
Old 08-20-2006   #6
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Little early to be making that determination. Blocking is something most RB's have to work on once they hit the NFL and is coachable. They need to get him cut blocking the way Morency was repeatedly.

Guess I should have said "was not able to block anyone". The only time I noticed him stopping anyone was that time he got called for holding. I will have to wait to watch the game again to see if I missed any.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #7
Brandyon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
Lundy cannot block anyone period. I'm just thankful that Morency was quickly put in to shore up that problem. He did an outstanding job stopping anyone coming in.
I agree. Though not picking up is a common rookie mistake. He just needs some time. Morency looked outstanding though
Brandyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2006   #8
TexansTailg8r
Veteran

I would imagine that Kubes will have a film session with him. He'll show better effort next game.
Old 08-20-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Even for pre-season games, the fact that we've only seen one sack is encouraging.
Old 08-20-2006   #10
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Every year there is a lot of dicussion about who is responsible for sacks so maybe we can keep a running discussion on each one. Hopefully there won't be many to discuss.

True, but there are things Carr may have done to avoid the sack. It looked as if he could have stepped up in the pocket instead running into the defender. We have seen him do this before. Of couse this is easier said than done with the speed in the NFL.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #11
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
One sack in two games...... the sky is falling!
209 sacks in 5yrs....Things are fixed in pre-season BEFORE the sky falls.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
One sack in two games...... the sky is falling!
As Sports Illustrated would say, signs the apocalypse is upon us.
Old 08-20-2006   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyon
I agree. Though not picking up is a common rookie mistake. He just needs some time. Morency looked outstanding though
True, and last season Morency looked not much better than Lundy does now so clearly it can be taught.

Also I think the Texans as a team (and we as fans of that team) tend to be a little over sensative to sacks. It's understandable considering our brief history but one sack in two games is outstanding. I distinctly saw the jitters kick into high gear when Carr took that sack. I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach when it happened. Carr calmed down and kept on going which is what he needs to do. Everybody is going to get sacked and he's going to have to learn that a couple of sacks aren't the end of the world and don't mean (anymore) that 7 or 8 more are coming that day.
Old 08-20-2006   #14
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd put this one on Carr for not stepping up. IMO, he ran himself into this sack.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
I'd put this one on Carr for not stepping up. IMO, he ran himself into this sack.
I saw this comment in your other thread and went back to watch it a couple more times figuring you would restate it here. Lundy got run back right in front of Carr--there was no step up into the pocket available. He tried to get to the side working against the rusher's momentum but didn't get far enough in time. There was zero running into the sack. There will undoubtedly be times when Carr is at fault, but this one isn't an example unless you are of the mindset that the price of gas is his fault also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
True, but there are things Carr may have done to avoid the sack. It looked as if he could have stepped up in the pocket instead running into the defender. We have seen him do this before. Of couse this is easier said than done with the speed in the NFL.
There was no step forward available--Lundy and the Defender came so far in they were directly in front of Carr. Carr has failed to step up before, but this time it wasn't available.
Old 08-20-2006   #16
mamoo
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 mamoo is on the Pro-Bowl ballotmamoo is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

When I talked to Lundy, he said the most important thing for any running back is to be able to pick up the blitz. So he knows and will learn from his mistake.
mamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #17
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Now, if and when Dominick Davis gets back, lets hope he has picked up on the way Morency is blocking, and takes it to heart. Or was it the buffoons we used to call coaches last year unable to coach that one little aspect of the game? Guess so. Results speak for themselves.

What beats me is we should all be hoping that Carr is the QB to finally take us over the top in the won-loss column. If we are waiting on Sage or another QB to do it, it is going to be a long wait, IMO.
Old 08-20-2006   #18
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lundy. Lets not label him yet as a guy that cant block, I just dont think he was asked to do it a lot in NCAA.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I saw this comment in your other thread and went back to watch it a couple more times figuring you would restate it here. Lundy got run back right in front of Carr--there was no step up into the pocket available. He tried to get to the side working against the rusher's momentum but didn't get far enough in time. There was zero running into the sack. There will undoubtedly be times when Carr is at fault, but this one isn't an example unless you are of the mindset that the price of gas is his fault also.

There was no step forward available--Lundy and the Defender came so far in they were directly in front of Carr. Carr has failed to step up before, but this time it wasn't available.
I would give you some rep for the post CAK, but it says I have to waite. Interesting how some see things that didn't actually happen.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #20
done88
Veteran

I replayed that is slow motion a few times. Carr went back too far. There was clearly a pocket and if Carr had stepped into it then Lundy's block would have been fine. Instear Carr kept going back, Lundy attacked the inside leg of the defender who went outsid and made Lundy look bad. David is going to have to learn to trust the line as much as the runningbacks. Later in the game I saw him step into the pocket a couple of times. Hopefully some of Kubiack's yelling sank in on him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read