Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2006   #1
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover
Default "Sage has starting ability" -- Kubiak

Some direct quotes from Kubiak I feel are good for discussion -- Kubiak is thinking some of the same things we are talking about on the boards. That Kubiak described Carr as "Shakey" last night during the half time interview was surprising.
_______

"He's very composed, he's a great leader and he understands coverages."

--Kubiak

Houston Chronicle/ full article

"I told David that the Rams have an aggressive defense, and when they come after us, he's got to make those plays," Kubiak said. "I felt there were seven or eight times when we could have made plays.

"I was disappointed in some things early, but he battled back. He knows I'm just trying to make him better."

--Kubiak

Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #2
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My view of this is that I am cool with whatever Kubiak does with all things quarterback.

He sees the game tape. He knows what is supposed to happen. He's seen all the practices etc.

And he is not dealing with widgets but rather human beings. He knows that.

So, I am guessing that he will make whatever is the best decision based on the best information, team dynamics and what will make his football team better in the long run.

Talk radio is going to be unlistenable because people will go beyond what was on the field and exaggerate some, but just for me, what is cool with Kubiak as it relates to quarterbacks, is 100% cool by me.
Old 08-20-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Talk radio is going to be unlistenable because people will go beyond what was on the field and exaggerate some, but just for me, what is cool with Kubiak as it relates to quarterbacks, is 100% cool by me.
Just talk radio? Don't forget the message board.
Old 08-20-2006   #4
veazeyt
Rookie

It is possible for coaches to make statements so that they can further motivate players.

It sounded like Carr needs to learn coverages better. Inotherwords, watch more tape?

But of course this is just speculation, so let the speculation begin.
veazeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #5
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

I think the offense has potential of being a high scoring offense. I wish Kris Brown hadn't missed from 37, but ah well.

Rosenfels is looking more like the QB benefitting the most from Coach Kubiak's system. Carr is coming around but I still think the 208 sacks is looming there, making him a bit shaky. I like the way he bounced back though, but at the same time he's getting shown up by #2.

Look at the bright side, VY hasn't won yet.
Old 08-20-2006   #6
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale Gator
Some direct quotes from Kubiak I feel are good for discussion -- Kubiak is thinking some of the same things we are talking about on the boards. That Kubiak described Carr as "Shakey" last night during the half time interview was surprising.
_______

"He's very composed, he's a great leader and he understands coverages."

--Kubiak

"I told David that the Rams have an aggressive defense, and when they come after us, he's got to make those plays," Kubiak said. "I felt there were seven or eight times when we could have made plays.

"I was disappointed in some things early, but he battled back. He knows I'm just trying to make him better."

--Kubiak

Quote:
Coach Kubiak told us that on day one. It's Dave's job and my job to execute. When things are there, make plays. When things aren't, get rid of the football and move on."
He knows his roll...............

Back up QB is the main man on every football team.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #7
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFan
I think the offense has potential of being a high scoring offense. I wish Kris Brown hadn't missed from 37, but ah well.

Rosenfels is looking more like the QB benefitting the most from Coach Kubiak's system. Carr is coming around but I still think the 208 sacks is looming there, making him a bit shaky. I like the way he bounced back though, but at the same time he's getting shown up by #2.

Look at the bright side, VY hasn't won yet.
Playing against #2s and 3s. Can we please keep this in mind.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Just talk radio? Don't forget the message board.
On the MB it is easier for me to scan and ignore the dumbest stuff. If it gets nuts, and posts get trollish, they get vanquished.

Callers after games bother me more because they go on and on and most say such stupid stuff. That, and you can't eject Rich Lord other than changing the station.
Old 08-20-2006   #9
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Playing against #2s and 3s. Can we please keep this in mind.
I couldn't agree more with you. I have faith in David Carr, he just has to shake off the hundreds of sacks he's taken. When he realizes that he has more protection out there with the new system, he is going be one hell of a threat. It's good to know that rosenfels is capable if needed though.
Aztequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

For what its worth

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RTS19/60727015

Quote:
But Martz also praised McCown and Orlovsky.

“Overall, this is the best group that I’ve had,” Martz told WKRK. “All three of these guys can start in this league and play at a high level. …

“To say that we have basically three starters that can play this game is worth getting excited about.”

And Marinelli said Thursday the competition wasn’t over.

“The competition’s still there,” he said. Kitna “just enters camp as the starter, and then we’ll go from there.”

Stay tuned.
Coach's do this often, especially in their inaugural year. They keep their QBs on their toes and through competition aprove the overal play of both. This is only going to make the starting QB and back up better.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On the MB it is easier for me to scan and ignore the dumbest stuff. If it gets nuts, and posts get trollish, they get vanquished.

Callers after games bother me more because they go on and on and most say such stupid stuff. That, and you can't eject Rich Lord other than changing the station.
I guess I'm the opposite. Sometimes I'm like a moth to the message board flame. Like you I scroll right through a lot of the poorest posts, but I still read a lot.

I can easily not listen to sports talk radio. Between the commercials, off-topic host rants, and some of the callers I find it unbearable most of the time. I listen when players/coaches are scheduled, that's about it.

Last edited by Runner; 08-20-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I guess I'm the opposite. Sometimes I'm like a moth to the message board flame. Like you I scroll right through a lot of the poorest posts, but I still read a lot.

I can easily not listen to sports talk radio. Between the commercials, off-topic host rants, and some of the callers I find it unbearable most of the time. I listen when players/coaches are scheduled, that's about it.
I'm addicted to sports talk. I think it is because I am fussy about music. Bad music kills me.

Flame posts are bothersome, but there are enough good nuggets in the mix to make it worth reading. You can't say that about a lot of sports MBs.
Old 08-20-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
I'm addicted to sports talk. I think it is because I am fussy about music. Bad music kills me.

Flame posts are bothersome, but there are enough good nuggets in the mix to make it worth reading. You can't say that about a lot of sports MBs.
Agreed - we are complaining about parts of the MB. It is still one of the best MBs - sports or otherwise - around.
Old 08-20-2006   #14
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Comments from Kubiak such as these give me hope for the future.

He knows QB's and knows what he's doing. He's telling Carr like it is and doing something that Capers and Co. never did...letting him know (through statements such as 'Sage has starting ability') that Carr's job is up for grabs if he doesn't play like Kubiak wants him to.

It would be my estimation that if Carr underperforms in a few games in the regular season, that Kubiak will start Sage to send the message to Carr that underperformance is unacceptable. I also estimate that if this occurs...Carr comes back and continually plays better than he ever has before.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #15
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I can't stand the radio, mostly for the aforementioned callers. As much as you would hope the correct use of a telephone inherent to the process would weed out some of the dumbest callers, I continue to be unpleasantly surprised.
Old 08-20-2006   #16
football freak
Rookie

I think Miami or Denver are on the trade radar for our next starting QB
football freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #17
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

I happen to find Sports Radio very entertaining, as long as they are cover issues you care about. We have three or four good ones out here in Southern California, so I usually switch back and forth between them when things get lame.
Aztequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My view of this is that I am cool with whatever Kubiak does with all things quarterback.

He sees the game tape. He knows what is supposed to happen. He's seen all the practices etc.

And he is not dealing with widgets but rather human beings. He knows that.

So, I am guessing that he will make whatever is the best decision based on the best information, team dynamics and what will make his football team better in the long run.

I agree with this. If Carr isn't doing the right reads, put Sage in. I realize less than a football game has been played with the 1st string offense, yet season time comes and we get to the bye week and Carr is still struggling, then yank him..

I honestly feel that it is time for anyone not to use the "expansion" tag anymore and I also feel if Carr has good protection through the 1st 6 games and making the wrong reads still, it is time to see what another QB can do. It would have to be tough love because we all know that Carr has taken a pounding but that excuse would need to go out the window also when 1/3 of the season is gone.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #19
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

We have two Sports Radio stations here. Not many choices, but Sirius is going to come in handy soon.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack
We have two Sports Radio stations here. Not many choices, but Sirius is going to come in handy soon.
You'll never regret it if you get Sirius. (eh . . is there a pun in there?)

But 'Siriusly', once you start listening to NFL Sirius Radio, you'll recognize 610 and 790 for the pieces of crap they really are.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read