Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2006   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans at Rams: First Impressions?

Wali Lundy is a rookie. He's a good fit for this system but he's still a rookie.

Vinny was on to something where Vernand Morency is concerned. He looked a lot like vintage Domanick Davis to me tonight only faster. If he keeps this up Domanick Davis will be a 3rd down back again.

Dave Ragone is much better fit for the Rams offense than he was for the one we were running. He was an even worse fit for the one we run now. He still looks awkward to me though.

Buchanon can cover but the announcer was right about that first pass interference penalty. That was all Phillip. The second one was a crock.

By my estimation this is the second week I feel that we should have broken 30 points but didn't.

Our first string D did a very good job tonight. In years past we couldn't have afforded a slow start like that and would have been down 14-0 or 17-0 before Carr and the offense got moving. It's nice to have the luxury of a dependable D again. We had one in 2002 but it was gone the next year and never came back.

Ok, maybe Taylor can be a beast.

Mario Williams looked like a highly regarded rookie this week which is nice.

David Carr made what appeared to me to be some very bad decisions. He pulled out of it in the 2nd quarter but I was nervous until we reached the half.

This (2-0 in the preseason and looking like they care) is an immense improvement over years past.

Kris Brown gives me that "Brad Lidge" feeling. I think we need a kicker.
Old 08-19-2006   #2
Historyhorn
Veteran

Rep Power: 39 Historyhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency was a good back at Okie State. He was a slashing style runner that I believed would work well in the zone blocking scheme system. I wasn't really able to understand why he was having so much trouble with juking and lollygagging behind the LOS. It's good to see that he's starting to get "it".

With a team that's building like the one we have, we can't afford to miss field goals when we get the opportunities. Those will kill a young and upcoming team as they try to take on teams that are more experienced and have the confidence that winning brings.

Go Texans
Historyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr looked jitterish at first, but settled down in at the end of 1st quarter and played well in the 2nd.

Morency looked very good. Good pass blocker. May have the upper hand over Lundy.

Buchanon had a very good game. 1st pass interference call was his fault, but the 2nd was the refs fault. He may be our Jerome Mathis as a punt returner.

Rosenfels looks like a very capable backup.

Peek may be in for a very good year. Dwight Freeney-lite.

The offensive line didn't look as good as they did last week. They weren't bad, but they weren't good either. They were decent.

The first team defense looked much improved over last week. Especially the pass rush.

McCleon isn't the answer as the 2nd string CB. Buchanon may be. We need Faggins back though as our 3rd CB.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I will admit, it always seems like it takes Carr a series or two to settle down. Not sure why that is.

Good post Herv and I agree with just about all of it. Most notable is your comments on the D being dependable and keeping us in the game early on; so true. So wonderful.
Old 08-19-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's good to see that he's starting to get "it".
Its amazing what a little competition will do to help someone "get it" .

Put a couple promising rookies in front of him and say "run it right or you wont be here for week 1" and suddenly he looks like the best back on our roster (including DD).

I hope he keeps it up. Morency and Lundy look like a good possibility for a "thunder and lightning" running game.. though neither of them quite fit into the thunder, or lightning, mold.. they are both somewhere in between.. which works fine too .
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #6
texflex513
All Pro

Kris Brown gives me that "Brad Lidge" feeling. I think we need a kicker.[/quote]

texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #7
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Two very general feelings I have after two preseason games.

This year we will run the ball, and stop the run better than any previous year in franchise history.
We seem to get positive yardage on a high, high percentage of running plays, and it looks to me like there will be at least a couple of running plays each game where the line just blows out the middle of the DLine for a big/huge gain.

Defensively, we've kept two above average rushing attacks in check. I am very optimistic about our run D, and that will effect the entire defense in a positive way.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2006   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Morency looks terrific. I like having this competition between Morency and Lundi, so long as it stays healthy.

Mario Williams is improving, and that is a big thing for the franchise.

Too many 3-and-outs in the first quarter, but the line was missing (for the most part) Wand and McKinney. Wand made some great blocks when he was out there. He added yards to the play. Spencer looks great too. He can really back up a defender...we have a line. Carr was still sacked, but...we have a line...wow...

Kris Brown is scaring me.

Peek isn't. When used appropriately, he is a monster.

The change in attitude and hustle is amazing. It does wonders for the viewer.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #9
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Secondary needs depth and more work.

Carr might have been told to concentrate on AJ instead of considering other targets. Also, seemed like he had to play "vanilla" tonight, in my mind the jury is still out on him. Sage is very solid backup and will probably be a starter for someone in the next couple of years.

Even if DD's knee prevents him from playing much, we are OK at running back.

Fullback position still needs to be addressed.

Defense was awesome in the last 2 minutes of the game with the goal line stand.

More consistancy in the trenches needed on both sides of the ball, but they did seem improved tonight.

Some guys I like are gonna get cut.

After we beat Denver next week will they rename it the Texans' Scheme?

The Seatle vs. Indy game tomorrow will be very interesting to see if Indy's weaknesses are opposite our strengths, ie. are the chinks in Indy's armour things we can take advantage of.

Last year is a quickly dying memory for us. How long till the "experts" catch on to how much we have changed?
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #10
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I missed the 1st quarter, but my thoughts from then on... :

- Sage Rosenfels was a head scratcher when we picked him up, but not any more. Not only can the guy play, he displays great leadership.

- I want Domanick to get healthy, but only because I like the guy. We're fine with the backs we have now. Morency tore it up tonight and Lundy is giving him plenty of competition.

- The line still looks great.

- The DLine was better tonight. Travis Johnson played well, IMO. We did much better against the run than against the Chiefs.

- Buchanon was a rollercoaster, big ups and downs. It seemed like they wanted to pick on him like he got picked on last season, but he looks better than he did last year so far.

- Carr made some bad decisions, but he played ok overall. Seemed like they went away from the rollout with him somewhat tonight. Andre looks solid.

- Our FB's got to make some plays, and btw Joppru looked alright at FB.

- Has Putzier done anything yet? How about Walter?
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #11
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Buchanon can cover but the announcer was right about that first pass interference penalty. That was all Phillip. The second one was a crock.

By my estimation this is the second week I feel that we should have broken 30 points but didn't.

Our first string D did a very good job tonight. In years past we couldn't have afforded a slow start like that and would have been down 14-0 or 17-0 before Carr and the offense got moving. It's nice to have the luxury of a dependable D again. We had one in 2002 but it was gone the next year and never came back.

Kris Brown gives me that "Brad Lidge" feeling. I think we need a kicker.
What do you think about Buchanon overall?

About the 30pts. I love the fact that we can disrupt the opponents offense. But did we have our 1st string O on the field late in the game? Don't you think that could have helped us get 30?

Yeah, I agree on Brown. I'm not sure about him.

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #12
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

my impressions:

david carr got off to a bad start and glad he got us down the field at the end of the first half. seems like he has trouble getting things going but he was smart and threw the ball away when he knew he could not make anything happen

morency was spectacular tonight at picking up the blitz and getting positive yards, lundy needs work in pass protection but did well when they gave him the rock.

joppru took a shot after a nice grab! glad he got up but i wish we could have seen more from our TEs tonight. the backscreen with putz was a great playcall...

Dline did really good tonight, we only gave up 61 yards on the ground and the pressure was getting there with only 4 guys rushing. very impressed with TJ and peek. mario did some really good things tonight as well (better than last week) and all i ask is he continues to grow and learn while being a force in the trenches

our depth at CB seems a bit weak at times but with pbuch doing pretty well tonight he might reclaim his starting spot. i did not see lewis sanders, but with him and petey it does not look too bad for us.

we had 182 return yards with pbuch looking good at fielding the punts, but there is still questions around the kickoff return man until mathis or someone steps up (maybe anderson). kris brown can not miss a 37 yard field goal

thats all i can think of right now. i really am glad we got a win tonight :bananasplit:

Last edited by ccdude730; 08-20-2006 at 04:42 AM.
ccdude730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #13
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
- Has Putzier done anything yet? How about Walter?
Putzier had a key 1st quarter 1st down reception.

Old 08-19-2006   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
- The line still looks great.
1st quarter was very sub-par.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #15
michael123
Rookie

First off with the qb position

carr needs to chill out, for some reason he seems nervous when he is in the pocket, (from past experience 76 sacks) need to relax and have fun his line is way better than last year, or he will be on the bubble, rosefelts is a good back up,,

Morency reminds me of a young tomlison i hope he is the starter by the start of the season, and keeps improving. lundy reminds me of tiki barber doesnt have speed but can hit the holes hard.

the reciver that stood out too me as lewis that guy is crazy, love that catch and celebration..

The D was good but still need to improve i liked mario in his tackles for loss plays and peeks sacks wow that man is a beast.

but i love the winning attitude keep it up
michael123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #16
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Yea after reading through the game thread it sounds like they were getting plenty of pressure on Carr and he wasn't avoiding it very well. Good to hear Putzier got involved as well as Joppru. Sounds like Spencer had a rough go of it with the 1st teamers....Wand's hopes are still alive.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #17
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael123
Morency reminds me of a young tomlison i hope he is the starter by the start of the season, and keeps improving. lundy reminds me of tiki barber doesnt have speed but can hit the holes hard.
Those are very good comparisons.

Old 08-19-2006   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash_Mouth_Mario
What do you think about Buchanon overall?
I think Buchanon can be the kind of player we traded for. I think that on a team that gets consistent pressure he's a real threat to haul in some picks and that his return game is valuable. I think he played a very good game but made one big mistake (the first interference call) which I can accept. I think he'll get a little better before it's all said and done.
Old 08-19-2006   #19
veazeyt
Rookie

About the Carr thing, the Rams were throwing a lot of blitzes at him. Almost every play in the first quarter. If Lundy was there to make the block he would just get run over or a penalty would be called for holding.

Then when Morency came he was able block some of the persuing LBs and such. Once he picked up the blitzes, they went to some run plays. Morency was getting success and Carr started looking more comfortable in the pocket.

In addition, there were no roll out plays called for Carr this week. I think he was very successful with those last week.

I agree with the FB positions and safeties. There were some really nice hits being made in the secondary, unfortunately they were being made in the secondary. Later on in the game, you could see that we dont have much depth in the secondary because their 3rd stringers were reeling in alot of catches.

Putzier had a beautiful screen play run up for him and he was stumbling bumbling rampage down the middlle of the field afre the catch. (1st QTR)

I did see Mccleon makes some decent plays, I would not write him off by any means. I mean he did block a field goal in all.

Last edited by veazeyt; 08-19-2006 at 11:56 PM.
veazeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We are off to a better start than ever before in the pre-season, overall the whole offensive unit looked sloppy the first couple of possessions and then they got into a rythm and looked pretty good.

Carr looked off a bit at first, settle in and made good, sound decisions and throws, and got bettter as the game went on. We had protection problems early on also, our RB's weren't picking up the blitz i.e. Lundy. Morency lit it up, and did a good job with blocking, if DD can't go, he will be our starter. Rosenfels looked good, but faded a bit.

Defense did alot of bending but not breaking, had stops when it counted, Mario had more of a presence, and Peek tore it up.

Overall, we should be happy with our Texans, we have things to work on but should be very solid all around, good coaching can help that happen I hear.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read