Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Phillip Buchanon

I'm surprised a thread hasn't been started about him. He looked impressive today. He looked very good on punt returns and he didn't look too shabby as a CB. He wasn't mind-blowing, but I think he played well enough to earn a starting spot next week opposite Dunta Robinson. He didn't look like the Buchanon from last year, IMO. Out of the two pass interference penalties, I think one was totally bogus. Buch not turning around during one of the throws is his fault, but the guy falling in the endzone wasn't because Buchanon pushed him.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, that 2nd pass interference was a horrible call, the receiver fell clear as day
Old 08-19-2006   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely looked better than McCleon.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #4
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I read he forced a fumble or 2, and did good on punt returns, I have to go through and read the gameday thread.
Old 08-19-2006   #5
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Best start PBuch has had as a Texan.
Old 08-19-2006   #6
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
I read he forced a fumble or 2, and did good on punt returns, I have to go through and read the gameday thread.
forced a fumble, recovered by a ram

recovered a fumble at the start of the 3rd
Old 08-19-2006   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
I forgot about that. He did force a fumble. It's kind of like what Derrick Johnson does. He hit the ball out of the recievers hands by swinging around I think. Unfortunately, when the ball came out it rolled about 5 or 10 yards upfield and the Rams gained even more yardage. But it was a good play, just dumb luck that the ball managed to help the Rams more than hurt them.

Last edited by TexanSam; 08-19-2006 at 10:51 PM.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2006   #8
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Thankyou, I was gone during the game so I'm just getting the information right now.
Old 08-19-2006   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

His first pass interference penalty was all Phillip. The second one was total BS and it seemed to me that the Rams QB's spent the rest of the game trying to pick on Buchanon but really didn't accomplish all that much. I thought he did good for the most part.
Old 08-20-2006   #10
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I thought he sure looked good returning those punts...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #11
AFD1717
Veteran

You guys seem a little more encouraged than I am. I think it was the Radio Broadcast that called him "Big Play" because every time he is on the field there is a big play going one direction or the other. He showed some flashes, but what was discouraging for me was when he made mistakes that didn't require hm to hit anybody. I've come to grips with the fact that he will never be physical, but turning around to look at the ball instead of face guarding the WR is just basic football. If he is going to be a pure cover corner, he needs to get a lot more polished in his ability to cover.
Old 08-20-2006   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
If he is going to be a pure cover corner, he needs to get a lot more polished in his ability to cover.
Fortunately that's what training camp is ALL about
Old 08-20-2006   #13
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
His first pass interference penalty was all Phillip. The second one was total BS and it seemed to me that the Rams QB's spent the rest of the game trying to pick on Buchanon but really didn't accomplish all that much. I thought he did good for the most part.
agreed, plus he returned punts like they were bad wedding presents.
Old 08-20-2006   #14
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
Fortunately that's what training camp is ALL about
He's been around long enough to be better than he is. He is an athlete that happens to line up at CB. The guy missed his calling as a WR. He could have had a long career as a Todd Pinkston type.
Old 08-20-2006   #15
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's been around long enough to be better than he is. He is an athlete that happens to line up at CB. The guy missed his calling as a WR. He could have had a long career as a Todd Pinkston type.
what did he do wrong yesterday besides the 1 play where he did not look for the ball?

and knowing hoke, he heard it on the sidelines
Old 08-20-2006   #16
AFD1717
Veteran

I guess I should slow down before I dig myself a hole I can't get out of.

I had to listen to the second half on the radio and the guys on Fan Feedback after the game spent the whole first segment talking about how the Rams' WRs were taking turns picking on Buchanon. They also went into the whether or not he was worth keeping on the team purely as a punt returner because he is a "Lame Duck at CB" (their words - not mine). Was I the only one who heard all that? They probably spent 10 minutes bashing him.

That is why I was suprised to see so much love for the guy, but since I don't have any specifics, I'll bow out.
Old 08-20-2006   #17
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Definitely looked better than McCleon.
Agree. Though not giving up the big play, Dexter seemed to be burned quite often on receptions. As for PB - overall, not too bad. Yeah, there was that one definite interference call when the Rams went for it on 4th and 3, but otherwise a decent overall game.

Can't put the other call on him, as others noted, the refs gave the rams that one.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

The guys on Fan Feedback should be the lame ducks. In any event--McLeon was exploited much much more than Buchanon yesterday. Buchanon showed much improved physical play redirecting a WR at the line of scrimmage and in his tackling. He stayed far tighter to his man than Mcleon who was repeatedly well away.
Old 08-20-2006   #19
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I guess I should slow down before I dig myself a hole I can't get out of.

I had to listen to the second half on the radio and the guys on Fan Feedback after the game spent the whole first segment talking about how the Rams' WRs were taking turns picking on Buchanon. They also went into the whether or not he was worth keeping on the team purely as a punt returner because he is a "Lame Duck at CB" (their words - not mine). Was I the only one who heard all that? They probably spent 10 minutes bashing him.

That is why I was suprised to see so much love for the guy, but since I don't have any specifics, I'll bow out.
little bit of love, but just a pleasant surprise. he was jamming receivers, closing in good, and returning punts like it was nobodys business.

i cant see why they would actually bash him that much. IIRC he only allowed 2 receptions last night on whoever he was covering
Old 08-20-2006   #20
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Run Buchanon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ZhnhTyLUQ

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read