Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2006   #1
Ironist
Rookie

Default Mario

Did he do anything at all during hit time on the field? Has there at least been a flash or two of brilliance? I know we have to be patient with him...but when you get someone 6-7, 295 pounds and the kind of shape he's in, you should feel their presence immediately...whether they're dominating or not.

I understand he's a rookie, but a guy like that should make his presence known immediately.

Btw, is he playing at LE or RE? I know he's (now) weak side, but what side is that? (The side the TE is not on, I know...) but what side is he listed at? I guess I was hoping he'd be a dominant LE like he was in college.
Ironist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironist
Did he do anything at all during hit time on the field? Has there at least been a flash or two of brilliance? I know we have to be patient with him...but when you get someone 6-7, 295 pounds and the kind of shape he's in, you should feel their presence immediately...whether they're dominating or not.

I understand he's a rookie, but a guy like that should make his presence known immediately.

Btw, is he playing at LE or RE? I know he's (now) weak side, but what side is that? (The side the TE is not on, I know...) but what side is he listed at? I guess I was hoping he'd be a dominant LE like he was in college.
He had a tackle in the backfield, knocked down a pass and got good pressure on a few plays. The Rams had 17 yards rushing in the first half in large part due to the front 7 which he is a part of. I'd say he did okay. Not great, but okay.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #3
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

He was lined up next to Peek on Peek's two sacks. He's making the other guys better.
Old 08-19-2006   #4
Ironist
Rookie

I know he makes the others better...but there will come a point that we wont be able to say that anymore...

I mean, (and Im not saying this will happen), if Mario is held sackless while everyone else on the line notches 10+ for the season, can we REALLY say their success was from a guy who has dismal stats?

I'm not saying he wont produce...I love the pick and I feel he is an awesome talent...But maybe Peek makes Mario better as well? Have we thought of that? Can we really just assume he's making them better, and not them helping him?
Ironist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #5
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
I know he makes the others better...but there will come a point that we wont be able to say that anymore...

I mean, (and Im not saying this will happen), if Mario is held sackless while everyone else on the line notches 10+ for the season, can we REALLY say their success was from a guy who has dismal stats?

I'm not saying he wont produce...I love the pick and I feel he is an awesome talent...But maybe Peek makes Mario better as well? Have we thought of that? Can we really just assume he's making them better, and not them helping him?
Maybe we can assume that fantasy football is REAL and NFL is just a game...or maybe governemnt really is our friend and really wants to help us.

Old 08-19-2006   #6
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:

i get what you're sayin, but 2 games into the preseason is not the time for talk like that
Old 08-19-2006   #7
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:

Julius Peppers only had sacks in 1 game out of his first several games(5 or 6 games i believe). Personally I root for the team, not for individual players.(otherwise I would be an NBA fan). So if he makes the Texans better, frankly I don't care.

regarding your last comment. Have you seen the guy?

right now he is learning all of his mental assignments. once that is in order, he will be able to unleash his full athletic ability on the other teams.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2006   #8
cbnjwill
Veteran

Default mario was decent

mario was decent in his second game made a play behind the line for a loss. all you can do is hope the guy gets better every game and turns into a bigtime player. peek was the man tonite the guy was all over the field even when he didnt get a sack on one play he chased down the qb from the other side of the field. just get that guy out there on every passing down and let him do his thing
cbnjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #9
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
And, are we at that point now?

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Peek got two sacks tonight when he was lined up next to Mario. A good question would be, how much did Mario help cause him to get them. My guess would be that he had to have had some effect of some sort.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash_Mouth_Mario
And are we even close to being anywhere near that point?

I'm thinking mebbe not.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #12
veazeyt
Rookie

He had two really good plays:

One where he was double teamed but he threw his big chicken wing in the air and batted down a ball.

Right after there was a run play, where he penetrated through the line and stopped the RB for a 3 yard loss. My count is, he actaully got 2 tackles or 1.5 tackles.

And yes, whenever Peeked lined up next to him, Peek terrorized the opposing QB.
veazeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #13
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by veazeyt
And yes, whenever Peeked lined up next to him, Peek terrorized the opposing QB.

(Peak) (typical QB with "concerned" look on his face)

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #14
phan1
All Pro

While Mario didn't blow me away, he played just about what I would expect from a good rookie DE. A much better performance than last week's. But than again, you don't get a much better Oline than the one KC has...
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #15
O'Ryan
noob

sounds great...
O'Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #16
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
He was lined up next to Peek on Peek's two sacks. He's making the other guys better.
On one of those Peek sacks you can see Mario just driving the guard back. He's going to get better and better as his technique gets better. He's also basically learning 3 positions right now. That's going to slow him up a little, but McNabb beware.
Old 08-20-2006   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i havent had a chance to disect the game yet (next time i go partying i will), but mario looked improved. not great, but more comfortable. i didnt really pay much attention to individual players, however the few times he caught my eye, he still seemed more concerned about the blockers than the play. that isnt necessarily a bad thing considering it's preseason ... if he's being coached to work on assignment and technique (his biggest weakness) then he's doing great. he did however have a respectable game statistically despite not ending up with 15 sacks ... i counted 2 assists, 1 solo tackle for loss, and 1 batted ball. not a bad day considering he only played the first half.
Old 08-20-2006   #18
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash_Mouth_Mario
haha.
Old 08-20-2006   #19
Aztequila
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Aztequila

I thought mario played well this game. He did help Peek out. The only play I saw that made me jump out at him was when peek deflected the pass and instead of picking the ball he just let it drop right in front of him. But hey the pressure was there and I was proud of my team tonight, they were on the verge of losing momentum a few times, and I think they responded well.
Aztequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #20
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Mario played like a rookie in his 2nd preseason game. I'm a betting man & I'd be willing to wager that if you looked up similar highly drafted DEs stats in their respective 1st games as a pro, you'd find that they had similar games. I'm no stat guru but I don't remember any player going off as a rookie & taking over their DL from the word GO ... JMHMFO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read