Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-18-2004   #41
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexBoy
I am shocked to even see the many responses in this section...It was only game FREAKING one. That said, it was a very disappointing game one. Undefeated the rest of the way baby
Actually, it has as more to do with plenty of people being draftniks than people giving up on this season.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #42
Mistril48
All Pro

I hope the Texans trade their 1st round pick for (at least) a 3rd in 2005 and a 1st in 2006. They had extra picks in their first three drafts and have drafted thirteen players on the first day of the draft. I think they should look to upgrade their depth, not draft for rookie starters. In prior years, rookies were handed starting jobs. Now, rookies will have to compete for starting jobs with players with several years experience in the system.

The trade would still give them four first day picks and position them with two first round picks in 2006 when the players who they drafted in 2002 will generally have four accrued years of service and be free agents.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #43
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

One guy that caught my eye watching a game last night (replay) was Mathias Kiwunika (6'7" 249 lbs). He's a DE for Boston College that I think could dominate as an OLB in our 3-4. He seems like a high motor player and also seems to have great character. He might be a little lanky though for a 3-4 LB because of his height.

Career statistics
2003: 83 tackles, 13 sacks, 16.5 tackles for loss, 24 quarterback hurries and five broken up passes.
2002: 44 tackles, five sacks, 7.5 tackles for loss, one interception, two quarterback hurries and two broken up passes

They had a short interview clip of him at some point in the game, his grandfather was elected the Prime Minister of Uganda in 1961 and assassinated in 1972. He seems like a smart guy that could really take over a D.

Like I said he may not fit in with us too well though because of the height/weight ratio he has (better suited to get heavier and play the 4-3), and he might go too high for us to take a chance on another conversion prospect.

Just found this: Here's HPF's analysis:
Mathias Kiwunika

Edit: I've seen him at both 249lbs and 261lbs, HPF lists him as 249 so I'll go with that.

Last edited by ledzeppelin229; 09-18-2004 at 05:37 PM.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #44
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this guy yet, but I think he'd be a great addition to our team as a DE. Marcus Spears of LSU. He's got the size ( 6'4" - 297 )to be a 3-4 DE already, and he could be a big pick up for us. Just a thought, but no telling how high he could go.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #45
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I hope the Texans trade their 1st round pick for (at least) a 3rd in 2005 and a 1st in 2006...The trade would still give them four first day picks and position them with two first round picks in 2006 when the players who they drafted in 2002 will generally have four accrued years of service and be free agents.
The only trades I've seen for a 1st round pick in your scenario is for a 2nd round pick that year and a 1st rounder the following year. A 3rd round pick is too low to make that deal.

And Im not seeing your argument. Wouldn't you be asking a rookie to replace a vet in '06? Why not draft the guy in '05, and teach him the system for a year? Unless the Texans wind up with another top 10 pick (I can't believe I even said that), I would prefer rookies not to get a free ride to the starting lineup.
Old 09-19-2004   #46
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The only trades I've seen for a 1st round pick in your scenario is for a 2nd round pick that year and a 1st rounder the following year. A 3rd round pick is too low to make that deal.
I sort of agree. That's why I said 'at least'. If our first rounder was late enough (unlikely) and the third early enough, a 3rd would be reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
And Im not seeing your argument. Wouldn't you be asking a rookie to replace a vet in '06? Why not draft the guy in '05, and teach him the system for a year? Unless the Texans wind up with another top 10 pick (I can't believe I even said that), I would prefer rookies not to get a free ride to the starting lineup.
We have a lot of guys we are developing now and would add 4 2nd and 3rd rounders in 2005. When we start losing some 4 yr accured guys, or other starters, we could replace some with developed players off the depth chart and look for a top ten draft pick to be an immediate starter/impact player, by trading our two first round picks to move up.

If we want to be a franchise that wins game, the only way to have early first round picks is to have multiple first round picks to trade.

Just a thought. Obviously, it's way too early to know this makes sense, but I don't know that our team will need a late first rounder for each of several years (which will happen, if we win).
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004   #47
texansfan88
All Pro

you must remember that both Haloti Ngata and Mathias Kiwi are juniors and unlikely to leave early.

Some great sleepers you will know next season for sure:

Quarterback:
Charlie Frye, Akron. If you dont watch college football, odds are you've never heard of this guy. Could end up being the 1st qb selected.

Runningback:
Earl Charles, Marshall. Originally commited to Miami, but due to grades couldnt make it. Reminds me a lot of Ricky Williams

Fullback:
Rich Demers, Massachusetts. One of the best offensive fullbacks I've ever seen play the game. A team will be blessed to have this guy on their team.

Wide Receiver:
Vincent Jackson, Northern Colorado. Unheard of by most in country, but I think he's one of the best. At 6'6 235 and a 4.49 40, he could be tough to stop.

Tight End:
Jimmy St. Louis, Murray State
Transfer from Auburn that reminds me a lot of Alge Crumpler. Great character as well.

Center:
Jelani Clement, Hampton
BY FAR the best 1-aa prospect this year. He is an all american and at 6'2 315, would be a great pickup by any team. HINT HINT, the Redskins are highly interested. So if we want this guy, pick him before they do in the 3rd.

Guard:
Cedrick Johnson, Clemson
at 6'4 325, one of the most dominant run blockers in the nation.

Tackle:
Nick Kazcur, Toledo
Will be a great blindside protector for an NFL team one day

Defensive End:
Walter Curry, Albany State
Could end up a 2nd round pick. Great pass rusher and can get to the qb

Defensive Tackle:
Lynn McGruder, Oklahoma
Very limited playing time, but with Dvorcek out of the picture, he will prove that he is worth a 2nd round selection.

Outside Linebacker:
Kevin Talley, Norfolk State
One of the best tacklers in the country

Middle Linebacker:
Boomer Grigsby, Illinois State
One of my favorite players in the country. Makes plays everywhere on the field. He held his own against Minnesota making some big stops on Marion Barber.

Cornerback:
Bryant McFadden, Florida State
Has the tools to be the next great corner in the NFL. The question is, will he use them?

Free Safety:
Oshiomogho Atogwe, Stanford
Not only is his name impressive, his play is as well. One of the best safeties in the country and gets no credit being on the west coast.

Strong Safety:
Trawick Boger, Tulane
Too aggressive at times, but gets the job done when its on the line.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2004   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

these are needs as posted by NFL Blitz-

- Left Tackle (Seth Wand)
- Left Guard (Chester Pitts)
- Nose Tackle (Seth Payne)
- Inside Linebacker (Jay Foreman)
- Strong Safety (Eric Brown)

seems like the Texans could have traded down & still taken Wilfork last year & picked up the center drafted @ pick #45 by Oakland Jake Grove 6-3 300 Virgina Tech thus solidifying both lines. Hopefully Glen Earl will be the answear at SS. Dunta Robinson & Babin will both be good players if not great and this year (2005) the Texans will draft a stud DT with the first pick.

1. Rodrique Wright, Texas
2. Anttaj Hawthorne, Wisconsin
3. Orien Harris, Miami (FL)
4. Haloti Ngata, Oregon
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004   #49
texansfan88
All Pro

dont listen to us at blitz, most of those guys have no clue

Haloti, Rodrique, and Orien are all juniors and will not come out

Antaaj isn't really physical enough to be a 3-4 NT, he will be a stud 4-3 dt however
Old 10-04-2004   #50
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

McGruder of Oklahoma would not be a good fit with the Texans. He was kicked off the Tennessee Volunteers for selling marijuana. Anyone that can't play for Phil Fulmer has no chance of ever playing for Dom Capers.

For the same reason, there is no way the Texans will ever have anything to do with Rolle of Miami.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #51
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
dont listen to us at blitz, most of those guys have no clue

Haloti, Rodrique, and Orien are all juniors and will not come out

Antaaj isn't really physical enough to be a 3-4 NT, he will be a stud 4-3 dt however
Wright probably won't come out as a junior just because guys from UT stay all four years.......but Miami and Oregon have had plenty of juniors leave for the NFL.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #52
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
McGruder of Oklahoma would not be a good fit with the Texans. He was kicked off the Tennessee Volunteers for selling marijuana. Anyone that can't play for Phil Fulmer has no chance of ever playing for Dom Capers.

For the same reason, there is no way the Texans will ever have anything to do with Rolle of Miami.
I'm not saying us, thats just an overview as the biggest sleeper at every position
Old 10-06-2004   #53
TexansCanes
All Pro

orien harris has a chance to leave early, especially since it is kind of weak at DT this year.

Quote:
why do you say this?
TexansCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #54
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW... reading through this old post... 1st game of the season does set the tone .. Things that were said then are being said now.

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #55
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

this just reminded me... With Roderique Wright and Hlatoi Nagata coming out next year.. man.. we really need to try to land ourselves another first rounder or two for the 2006 draft. If our season goes as well as we would like.. we are gonna need to trade up and grab one of these two guys.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
this just reminded me... With Roderique Wright and Hlatoi Nagata coming out next year.. man.. we really need to try to land ourselves another first rounder or two for the 2006 draft. If our season goes as well as we would like.. we are gonna need to trade up and grab one of these two guys.
or trade down this year in exchange for a 1st rounder next year :woot

similar to what Vinny did but by trading down & selecting Baas in exchange for next years 1st round pick of the Seahawks
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #57
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

yah something like that. Next years draft is gonna be pretty good for our needs I think. if we could stock pile some picks... we could really get a boost in next years draft.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #58
Nebraskatexansfan??
Rookie

There are 2 and only 2 things we need to pick up early in the draft. We need a(some) good pass rusher(s).I might be disagreed by this but we should get another intimidating wr so he or other receivers can open for once in a century.In the 3rd and 4th round we need to get an oline.
Nebraskatexansfan?? is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read