Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-14-2004   #1
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default 2005 Draft

So i guess now is a good time as any to start talking about it.

what do you see us targeting in the 2005 draft....
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #2
geka
Veteran

mid teens is where we will be picking.

QB-set
RB-set
OL-possible but you dont draft a guard/center this high
WR-set but a possible if we cant get a decent 3rd via free agency
TE-set

DT-set but depth needs help
DE-set but depth needs help
OLB-set
ILB-maybe not a big need
CB-set
S-set

Our starters are decent on O but on D we can use depth mainly no glaring needs ATM
geka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think DL or secondary is what we need next. 2/3 of our dl and 2/4 of our secondary are hitting the 30 range.

This is of course baring injury and after last week
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #4
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by geka
mid teens is where we will be picking.

QB-set
RB-set
OL-possible but you dont draft a guard/center this high
WR-set but a possible if we cant get a decent 3rd via free agency
TE-set

DT-set but depth needs help
DE-set but depth needs help
OLB-set
ILB-maybe not a big need
CB-set
S-set

Our starters are decent on O but on D we can use depth mainly no glaring needs ATM
Agree with everything, BUT Safety set, did you watch the San Diego game, we have a journyman strong safety, and a converted corner at Free. Maybe Earl pans out as the strong of the future, but we could use a good free in the draft. Safety and DL are the two areas that I think really need to be addressed this next year.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I would think we would go D-line next year. It is great when you have depth and quality there because that position wears down faster than any other on the team. The Patriots have spent 1st rounders on that position over the last few years and it has worked.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

CB of Miami (FL) Antrel Rolle.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #7
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about the TE position, safety spots, and ILB positions being set. They may be set for now but they are upgradeable, which IMO relates to not being "set".

TE: Bruener is good, but he's getting older, and if Joppru ever recovers then we could be set. Note the if in relation to Joppru.

Safety: A young gun for depth and future replacement is needed. I love Eric Brown in run support, but as we saw Sunday, his coverage skills leaves a little to be desired. He will knock the snot out of you, and I absolutely love that about him.

ILB: Foreman is good, but he is upgradeable.
Old 09-14-2004   #8
geka
Veteran

You dont use a first on a replacement because a guy is old unless you know he wont be with you.

S TE OG C (can argue RB and OLB to)are positions you dont spend mid first round picks on.
geka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #9
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
If we are that high in the draft than absolutley. A perfect replacement for an ageing Aaron Glenn. A year or two in the nickel back spot where he plays very well at to begin with and he will be ready to go a left corner.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #10
LB Love
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to LB Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C
I don't know about the TE position, safety spots, and ILB positions being set. They may be set for now but they are upgradeable, which IMO relates to not being "set".

TE: Bruener is good, but he's getting older, and if Joppru ever recovers then we could be set. Note the if in relation to Joppru.

Safety: A young gun for depth and future replacement is needed. I love Eric Brown in run support, but as we saw Sunday, his coverage skills leaves a little to be desired. He will knock the snot out of you, and I absolutely love that about him.

ILB: Foreman is good, but he is upgradeable.
Agreed, I also think that NT has got to be at least a first-day consideration given the question marks that remain about Seth Payne's health (isn't he also going to be a UFA?). Even if he does return to full strength, it would be nice to have a guy like Anttaj Hawthorne to develop behind him as the eventual replacement. I think NT might be the most critical position in 34, especially if you buy into the theory that games are won and lost in the trenches.

I have to say I really do like the team Casserly and crew are putting together, but I just can't see them not trying to get some young depth for the d-line, either through free agency or the draft. Just my
Old 09-14-2004   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would think we would go D-line next year. It is great when you have depth and quality there because that position wears down faster than any other on the team. The Patriots have spent 1st rounders on that position over the last few years and it has worked.
I would think we would be looking for future secondary starters rather than D line depth. We have Smith, Walker, Payne front 3. We have Sears, DeLoach, and Ioane backing them up. We have Robinson and Glenn on the corners, and Coleman and Brown at safety spots. Walker and Smith just signed contracts and our backups on the D line got a lot of experience last year when the starters went down. Coleman is in his last year of his contract, Glenn is not getting any younger, and Brown is looking pretty bad.
Old 09-14-2004   #12
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

... depending on what the draft holds...

1st round...

Offense, Depending on what happens with Joppru, a top flight Tight end could be used...someone that can both block and catch.

Defensive line. Gary Walker and Seth Payne are no spring chickens and both have had injury concerns... probably is priority number 1.

Linebackers are relatively young and mobile, if Wong can't provide a pass rush another rusher might be taken.

Defensive backs, Another Saftey would be a smart pick, Aaron Glenn isn't getting younger.

2nd Round....

Offensive line here, maybe wide reciever depending on if we keep bradford or replace him with a free agent.

If i had to name a name right now.. Antrelle Rolle... Miami..... Not only have we, and most of the NFL had luck with miami players, but he is brother of a pro-bowl corner Samari Rolle. He will be an impact corner for years. He can spend a year learning under Glenn and play on nickel packages. Then him and Dunta can shut everyone else down.

Second round i'd go with D-lineman Chris Canty from Virginia....

and O line with one of our 2 3rd round picks.

Saftey with our second 3rd rounder...

tight end with our 4th rounder

wide reciever with our 5th round pick...

its more the priority and availability than individual players i can target, and of course someone on our team might and will step up and come from no where like DD did last year (this time last year i was so concerned we would never be able to rush the ball) But at this point, (not really counting the Chargers game) this is what i would be looking towards next year...

I know people are gonna knock me for drafting 2 CBs with 2 consecutive 1st round picks, but what team wouldn't want 2 shut down corners?
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #13
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Let's wait and see if he's not in prison by the next draft. Felony assault on a law enforcement officer is generally considered to be an easy way to get there.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #14
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You dont use a first on a replacement because a guy is old unless you know he wont be with you
What? I would think that at this time we don't have a glaring weakness other than depth at certain positions. You certainly can use a first round pick on someone that will be a starter for you in a year or two. I'm not talking about projects here. Jay Foreman could be replaced and in turn Foreman provides excellent depth. You telling me you don't use 1st round picks on eventual starters? Or are you sticking to the BPA theory even if the BPA happens to be a QB or RB? At this point we need neither, so IMO it would be useless to draft a QB or RB with our first. That's all I'm saying about the 2005 draft. That's putting the cart before the horse, and chances are by the end of this year we will all have a pretty good opinion of what we need with our first pick.
Old 09-14-2004   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

at this point i think we take bpa, period.
Old 09-14-2004   #16
J-Man
Veteran

I think that CC and DC are will pay more attention to what athletes are available on the board when we are on the clock as opposed to focusing on a specific position. I say this looking in a crystal ball so to speak since we will really have to wait to see how the team preforms over the season during the different phases of the games.

I agree that a DL or DB might be in order, but I personally would like to see us take a top flight LB (inside or outside). If it's an ILB, ok, let him fight Foreman and Wong for playing time and learn the game from Sharper. If it's an OLB, ok, let him learn to rush the passer from a 3 point stance every now and then...that's got to be a heck of a lot easier than teaching a DE to cover the pass. Bottom line is take the best LB athlete on the board...guys that are going to be players will find a way to play, regardless of how stacked you think a position is barring maybe QB.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I also like the idea of a second stud WR playing opposite AJ. That would allow Gaffney to remain in the slot, where he seems better suited.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #18
Blake

Having a good tight end for quick dump passes and run blocking will really improve the offensive production of any team. Dalllas found that out with Jason Witten and an average quarterback at best "Quincy Carter"...most of the passes made last year were quick dumps to the tight end because of QC's lack of accuracy. We still made it to the playoffs. However I dont really understand the Texans tight end situation but some of you seem to think it could be improved.

Im thinking Houston would be wise to look for some good defensive lineman. The line had a difficult time putting pressure on the quarterback in Sunday's game. Ofcourse one game doesnt really mean anything but it seems that drafting a couple defensive lineman would still be a wise choice.
Old 09-14-2004   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by geka
You dont use a first on a replacement because a guy is old unless you know he wont be with you.
Is that why Oak got Gallery?

Aaron Glenn will need to be replaced in 2-3 years. A new CB like Webster or Rolle would be perfect for us.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #20
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Geka not sure I agree with you about not using a first rounder to upgrade your depth. Most seem to agree on MB that QB, OL, RB & starting DL is set for 05. I think starting linebackers are set unless Babin or Peek fail. Receiver is set but a ? on Bradford for next year so a first could be used there if a player beckons. I suggested to 610 that we trade Bradford nowto perhaps KC for what would be a low round 1st but was told Bradford is only worth a third round if that. We should be set at corner.

That leaves two safeties. Remember many "experts" this years draft said only a Roy Williams type safety should be chosen in first. Is there one of those on the horizon? Too early to guess. So.. if we use a first, to me it will be 1. A wide receiver with burning speed & good hands 2. A safety of William's category or 3. Depth.

Any body else agree?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read