Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2006   #1
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Arrow My Keys to the Game: vs. St. Louis

We head to the Edward Jones Dome tonight for our second pre-season clash, this time to battle the Rams from St. Louis.

Obviosly we played pretty well in the opener against Kansas City last week, and hopefully can develop some consistency and play some solid football again this week. The following our my keys to the game for tonight, vs. St. Louis....

*Consistency! Let's put two solid performences together two weeks in a row, and show that this team can come to play every week.

*Super Mario! Mario Williams last week against the Chiefs made a couple bad plays but also a couple descent ones. Many are still in doubt on whether he will cut it or no, so Mario really needs to step up a little this game and maybe even get the quarterback a few more times

*No turnovers! Our first team looked good last week versus Kansas City in not turning the ball over, although Carr could have easily been picked on one play (when he threw in behind Andre Johson), and turnovers can obviously kill, so let's show we can protect the ball very nicely two games now.

Obviously we will aslo want to prevent injuries, but we can not prevent them, just hope we dont get them. I'm excited about tonight, looking for some consistency in the solid perfermance that we had last week.

Cheer us on fans- at home, maybe if your going to St.Louis or whatever make some noise!

GO TEXANS!
Old 08-19-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 298214 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post, man.

While I've mentioned that pre-season wins can be fool's gold (ie. don't get too excited), there are a couple of nuggets worth mentioning:

Our last pre-season win on the road was 08/10/2002 against the Saints (over four years ago!).

And the Texans have never had back-to-back pre-season wins.

So fool's gold or not, I'd really like to see them win and continue building on a new tradition!
Old 08-19-2006   #3
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

St. Louis generally doesn't dink and dunk like KC did. That should open up more opportunites for the DL. However, with the new coaching staff....who knows.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04
St. Louis generally doesn't dink and dunk like KC did. That should open up more opportunites for the DL. However, with the new coaching staff....who knows.
St Louis is changing their offense too, so we can expect just about anything since Martz is in Detroit now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking about posting something of this nature but I see you beat me to so thanks for making it easier for me.

Consistency was my first thing also. I want to see that this team is progressing through training camp. I want repeat performances by Lundy, Daniels, Ryans, Rosenfels, and T. Johnson.

I'd like to see Johnson and Putzier showcased a bit more though.

Obviously I want to see how Morency does but I really would like to see a strong performance from him as it would give me the feeling that the RB position battle is going to get nasty in the last few weeks of the season.

I want to see more K Walter, the 4th and 5th WR spot being claimed, Buchanon on return duties, and an even more effective David Carr.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #6
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

My key for this game is another soild showing from the O-line. What I expect from Mario really depends on how long he plays, but I just want him healthy for the reg season.
RiotCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 298214 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

No doubt. I'd like to see another no-sack performance with high running game numbers tonight, giving our o-line as much of a mental boost as possible. They need confidence building games before the regular season starts.
Old 08-19-2006   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see the O-line hold up at as well as last week, particularly if the Rams do a lot of blitzing. If they do well with an agresive blitzing team, it will make me feel a lot more comfortable (not to mention how our QBs will feel about it).

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #9
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
No doubt. I'd like to see another no-sack performance with high running game numbers tonight, giving our o-line as much of a mental boost as possible. They need confidence building games before the regular season starts.
Seriously. A no-sack game would be just about as good as a win. I would also like to see if Lundy can be consistant and keep getting 50-60yds a game during the pre-season.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

I agree. I want to see the 1st string O-line control the LOS, and play better as a unit. Though I didn't get to see the 1st half last week, I understand they had some trouble in the beginning with stepping on and tripping each other. I think the key to this offense this season is how well they can play together as a unit in the ZB scheme and passing schemes. So, the preseason games are critical for them to start coming together as a unit, and zero sacks allowed last week is a pretty good way to start! Now they need to continue to build on that!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #11
Jwwillis
All Pro

I think the Defensive 2ndary is our weakest area. With the Rams 1/2WR's this will be a good test.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read