Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2006   #1
Avenged Sevenfold Texan

Default Mario Williams will be butting heads with Alex Barron

From The Sporting News

Quote:
ST. LOUIS -- Mario Williams' next preseason test will be butting heads with a first-round pick from last season.
Williams, this year's No. 1 overall selection, got 11 snaps at defensive end in his professional debut with the Houston Texans last week. On Saturday night, promising St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Alex Barron will be on the other side of the ball.

"Alex was a pretty high draft pick himself, so it will be a pretty good matchup," Rams offensive coordinator Greg Olson said. "It's always good to get experience against a player like that."

Williams was credited with one assist in the opener and was largely neutralized by Chiefs guard Will Shields. Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Williams also made some alignment mistakes and generally "played like a rookie."

"He got introduced to the NFL real fast," Kubiak said. "I was encouraged by what I saw, but I also know he has a long way to go. I expect him to come back and be better this week."
Old 08-18-2006   #2
rams-rule
Rookie

great matchup, can't wait.

Good Luck tommorrow, and an injury free game for both teams
Old 08-18-2006   #3
HoustonTexans
Rookie

Wasn't Barron available at our pick last year? I remember wanting the texans to grab him soooo bad.... every mock draft had us going for him but then we picked TJ... imagine how much less help our O-line would have needed?
HoustonTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #4
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I'm not sure how Barron has been progressing, but he looked like a solid prospect coming out of college. The only clip I've seen of him was when Demarcus Ware absolutely laid him out last season, hopefully Mario can do something similar. Should be yet another good opportunity for Mario to get some work against a high level of competition.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched a couple of Rams games last season and paid attention to Barron, in one game particular I remember he had 3 or 4 penalties on one drive if I remember correct. Last season in 11 games started he was penalized 16 times and allowed 5.75 sacks.
Old 08-19-2006   #6
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexans
Wasn't Barron available at our pick last year? I remember wanting the texans to grab him soooo bad.... every mock draft had us going for him but then we picked TJ... imagine how much less help our O-line would have needed?
Yes. We originally were picking 13, traded back to 16 with the Saints who took Jamaal Brown instead of Barron. The Rams pick him up somewhere around pick 19 or 20. I don't recall exactly. Memory gets a little fuzzy after the "we picked a pure 4-3 lineman? WTF?" moment.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I watched a couple of Rams games last season and paid attention to Barron, in one game particular I remember he had 3 or 4 penalties on one drive if I remember correct. Last season in 11 games started he was penalized 16 times and allowed 5.75 sacks.
Which would have made him about 10 times better than Victor Riley.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2006   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Which would have made him about 10 times better than Victor Riley.
I blame the Riley thing on the Caper's regime for not bringing in anyone better or at least letting Wand see some action.
Old 08-19-2006   #9
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

riley another throw away grabbed from KC, we seem to get alot of junk from the chiefs.
Old 08-19-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
Should be yet another good opportunity for Mario to get some work against a high level of competition.
To be sure, Orlando Pace would have been "a high level of competition",
but I would hardly give Barron the same label.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #11
blockhead83
All Pro

If a guy who hadn't played for two years was highly competitive with Mario last week, I'd assume a young player with enough potential to be selected in the first round AND has been playing in the last year could also provide him with such..
Old 08-19-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I blame the Riley thing on the Caper's regime for not bringing in anyone better or at least letting Wand see some action.
Riley was picked up as depth to be an upgrade over Marcus Spears. His bonus for playing in 10 games or whatever makes that pretty clear. The coaches then benched Wand in favor of Riley. This one was clearly the coaches' - Pendry's - fault. The new staff has Wand at the top of the depth chart again. Weary is somewhat the same - he could hardly get on the field last year, now he is challenging to start.

It's good to know we did have some good players that weren't used properly. It makes it that must easier to improve this year.
Old 08-19-2006   #13
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rams-rule

Thanks and back at'cha.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rams-rule

Same to ya!
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am so friggin tired of hearing about Mario being dominated by Turley and Shields. Firstly, I could care less about being two years out, the guy was a former Pro Bowler and will start on a NFL team this year. The guy has forgotten more than Mario knows at this moment and if you would had put a line on Turley outperforming an energetic and green rookie I would have put money down on Turley. No surprise.

Secondly, Will Shields is one of the best Guards in the NFL. Although this is off the KC website, it is still pretty relevant to the discussion to properly frame it.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/will_shields/

Ironman right guard is arguably one of the finest players to ever play his position in NFL history Should certainly receive strong consideration for the Pro Football Hall of Fame once his playing career is concluded Will undoubtedly have his name someday affixed to the facade of Arrowhead Stadium as a member of the Chiefs Hall of Fame Owns a franchise-record streak of 11 consecutive Pro Bowl berths, the longest active streak in the NFL and the most total Pro Bowl appearances in Kansas City history Is clearly worthy of being mentioned as one of the all-time great players in the illustrious history of the Chiefs franchise, not just for his consistently high level of performance on the field, but also for the ongoing personal commitment he and his family have made to the Kansas City community
Old 08-19-2006   #16
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Should be a good match-up. Hope Mario does well.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I am so friggin tired of hearing about Mario being dominated by Turley and Shields. Firstly, I could care less about being two years out, the guy was a former Pro Bowler and will start on a NFL team this year. The guy has forgotten more than Mario knows at this moment and if you would had put a line on Turley outperforming an energetic and green rookie I would have put money down on Turley. No surprise.

Secondly, Will Shields is one of the best Guards in the NFL. Although this is off the KC website, it is still pretty relevant to the discussion to properly frame it.

Ironman right guard is arguably one of the finest players to ever play his position in NFL history Should certainly receive strong consideration for the Pro Football Hall of Fame once his playing career is concluded Will undoubtedly have his name someday affixed to the facade of Arrowhead Stadium as a member of the Chiefs Hall of Fame Owns a franchise-record streak of 11 consecutive Pro Bowl berths, the longest active streak in the NFL and the most total Pro Bowl appearances in Kansas City history Is clearly worthy of being mentioned as one of the all-time great players in the illustrious history of the Chiefs franchise, not just for his consistently high level of performance on the field, but also for the ongoing personal commitment he and his family have made to the Kansas City community
Oh but when they showed him on PTI the other day, Mario was going up against a very untalented Will Shields.
Man, when I saw all that stuff that idiot was saying about Mario being the worst decision all I could think of was Lundy did more and that you could tell that bozo didn't watch the game to know the difference.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #18
blockhead83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro

Ironman right guard is arguably one of the finest players to ever play his position in NFL history … Should certainly receive strong consideration for the Pro Football Hall of Fame once his playing career is concluded … Will undoubtedly have his name someday affixed to the facade of Arrowhead Stadium as a member of the Chiefs Hall of Fame … Owns a franchise-record streak of 11 consecutive Pro Bowl berths, the longest active streak in the NFL and the most total Pro Bowl appearances in Kansas City history … Is clearly worthy of being mentioned as one of the all-time great players in the illustrious history of the Chiefs franchise, not just for his consistently high level of performance on the field, but also for the ongoing personal commitment he and his family have made to the Kansas City community
Seeing as I am the only one who has mentioned Turley in this thread I assume that I provoked this rant... I agree with your sentiments and was just pointing out that Mario experienced a highly competitive environment last week, and is likely to have similarly challenging encounters tonight. Secondly, saying that Mario was in a competitive situation last week is hardly an indication that he was "dominated".
Old 08-19-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
Seeing as I am the only one who has mentioned Turley in this thread I assume that I provoked this rant... I agree with your sentiments and was just pointing out that Mario experienced a highly competitive environment last week, and is likely to have similarly challenging encounters tonight. Secondly, saying that Mario was in a competitive situation last week is hardly an indication that he was "dominated".
You were the agent that tipped me over, but in all fairness it had just gone over the brim from the other Mario threads this past week and the talking heads. Nothing personal at you blockhead, just want something tangible to debate. I am just tired of this unchecked perception.
Old 08-19-2006   #20
blockhead83
All Pro

I agree with you that it's way overhyped, that Shields is a great guard, and that Turley has a considerable edge over Mario in the experience department. 11 snaps isn't enough to forecast anything in the way of production out of Mario anyways. On the other hand I believe Turley was a career RT, and is still considerably under what his old playing weight was. Alex Barron should probably pose a good test for Mario just as Turley & Shields did, hopefully Mario gets a longer look tonight and gives the media something to chew on with a few good plays.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read