Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The young RBs and blitz pickups

Putting the dance shoes away
Quote:
The coaches plan to give two backs a lot of carries in the regular season unless one emerges as the clear-cut winner in the competition to excel in the system Kubiak and Calhoun brought from Denver.

"I envision us playing more than one guy," Kubiak said. "We'll play two for sure. We might play three. We'll definitely have a system where we'll rotate so we're not wearing out one guy."

To be one of those backs, a runner has to block, especially on blitz pickup. If the back can't help protect quarterback David Carr, then he won't be on the field.
Well since the Rams are reportedly going to blitz like crazy on Saturday night, we will get a good look at how far along the young backs are picking them up. If Carr ends up on his butt, don't point a finger at the OL until you at least watch the replay. And see if the back gets yanked out of the game afterwards also.

This is a pet peeve of mine because I thought the OL got way too much blame for all the sacks last year, and not enough blame went to the running backs.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Rookie Wali Lundy, a sixth-round pick from Virginia, will start against the Rams because of his performance in the 24-14 victory over Kansas City. Lundy had nine carries for 59 yards and a touchdown."
Lundy's preseason performance exceeded Reggie Bushs because his rushing
total equaled ESPNs favorite celebrity and he also scored a TD but Bush never sniffed the EZ. Funny though, all I've seen this week on ESPN is Bush but with nearly a mention of Lundy's name ?
I dunno, but based on his strong effort against the Chiefs is this now Lundy's job to loose ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I dunno, but based on his strong effort against the Chiefs is this now Lundy's job to loose ?
I think that too much will be made by the term "starting running back". I believe Kube will be going with a rotating 'running back by committee' format, as alluding to in the article.
Old 08-18-2006   #4
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

as much as i want domanick out there starting, i believe that eventually lundy or maybe even morency will be getting the starting role. i just have this gut feeling that domanick will not stay healthy. prove me wrong. i hope davis can stay out there and contribute.
Old 08-18-2006   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus

Well since the Rams are reportedly going to blitz like crazy on Saturday night, we will get a good look at how far along the young backs are picking them up. If Carr ends up on his butt, don't point a finger at the OL until you at least watch the replay. And see if the back gets yanked out of the game afterwards also.
The new system that David is playing in will have David on the move more. This will help out both the backs and O-line. Moving him out of the pocket and giving him the option to run or throw is going to create problems for the linebackers. If you do send the blitz, two things could happen, you hit your open TE, or as we saw last week, Moulds breaks his route and comes back to the ball for a completion. If you don't send the blitz then you have your receivers take the defender with him giving Carr more room to run.

I really think Kubes could turn this team into what the 49er's were of the 80's/90's.

Of course that is just my opinion.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #6
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Blitz pick up was probably the weakest thing in DDs game, he couldn't do it for squat. I hope one of the young guys can do it well.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12713 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lundy got knocked on his tail once I remember last Saturday trying to make a block, but hey at least he got in front of the guy and made an attempt.
Old 08-18-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 58129 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Blitz pick up was probably the weakest thing in DDs game, he couldn't do it for squat. I hope one of the young guys can do it well.
Blocking a blitzer is as much about the RB's attitude as anything else. Kubiak has made it clear that aspect of an RB's game is important to him. Maybe these guys will make the mental adjustment.
Old 08-18-2006   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rbbc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC
as much as i want domanick out there starting, i believe that eventually lundy or maybe even morency will be getting the starting role. i just have this gut feeling that domanick will not stay healthy. prove me wrong. i hope davis can stay out there and contribute.

I have a feeling that even if DD comes back 100% and ready to play by the 1st game of the regular season, that Kubes is still going to utilize all of his backs alot. And, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps 5 running backs for the season. Kubes knows how much punishment rb's take and that most (especially DD) are going to have some kind of injuries during the long season. So, I think he's going to keep as many "fresh horses" in the stable as possible. It should also save wear and tear on DD and the rest of the backs, and if your main "stud" does go down, you have another one ready to go! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that too much will be made by the term "starting running back". I believe Kube will be going with a rotating 'running back by committee' format, as alluding to in the article.
I agree. I expect to see a platoon system of runners, to keep them fresh and agressive, as well as keep opposing defenses on their toes and guessing. If an RB is hot, then he'll probably get more game time. But that does depend on his blitz pickup, as well, because I believe that this coaching staff has put protecting the QB as a no. 1 priority (and not just in lip service).

Good thread for discussion, man.
Old 08-18-2006   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well since the Rams are reportedly going to blitz like crazy on Saturday night...
Not questioning this as fact, but where does this info come from?
I haven't heard it, and would be interested in reading any info on it...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
The Rams blitzed the Colts enough that their poh-poh's hurt and they complained. Folks are just expecting the Rams to continue the same.
Old 08-18-2006   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
The Rams blitzed the Colts enough that their poh-poh's hurt and they complained. Folks are just expecting the Rams to continue the same.

Cool... didn't know that.
Should be a good test, and good preseason experience.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait to see Morency in this scheme. This article was about Vernand but everyone seems to be sleeping on him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Lundy got knocked on his tail once I remember last Saturday trying to make a block, but hey at least he got in front of the guy and made an attempt.
He still took the man out of the play!!!

Old 08-18-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I can't wait to see Morency in this scheme. This article was about Vernand but everyone seems to be sleeping on him.
I can't wait to see him either, It will be interesting to see if Vernand can actually DON'T do in game conditions what Kubes doesn't want him to do.

Schucking the shake and bake habit might be more difficult than he realizes. It should be interesting to watch, and will be REAL interesting to watch Kubes' reaction if he does do it.
Old 08-18-2006   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 58129 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
That's because he's been on the roster before. No one is as good as the guy who has never taken a snap - they are brand new and haven't disappointed us yet.

But you already knew that.
Old 08-18-2006   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
Here's one:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb.../rams/home.htm
Quote:
óColts general manager Bill Polian was surprised at the number of times the Rams blitzed in the preseason opener and by the multiple defenses employed. He made those comments on the air during halftime of the team's radio broadcast.

The following day, Colts coach Tony Dungy said, "That's the way those guys are going to play; we knew that going in. You can't ask them, 'Don't run your defense.' We usually like it when people blitz us."

Said Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, "The days of staying vanilla in the preseason are long gone. I was talking to (former Cowboys quarterback Troy) Aikman before the game and he was saying when he played preseason, everybody played basic zone defense. The Rams blitzed seven guys on the first play and did it again a couple of plays later and, really, throughout the game."

When told of Polian's comments, Rams coach Scott Linehan said, "You didn't see 85 percent of coach (Jim) Haslett's blitzes tonight. That's how we play. Some teams are a vanilla-type of team and we're going to be multiple.

"We're not where these other teams are with their teams. We've got things we've got to work on things. We've got to get better at it in our preseason games. We've got to use them for that reason."
Interestingly, the first part of that article is about Ragone.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"That's a hard habit to break because that's the way he's been running for so long," Kubiak said. "Vernand's very athletic, and he can make people miss. But once he saw what we wanted from our backs, he started to adjust."
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Morency responds to this style. I always liked him last year, but he did have that tendency to dance. I thought it was due to the line not creating any holes more than anything.

Quote:
The coaches plan to give two backs a lot of carries in the regular season unless one emerges as the clear-cut winner in the competition to excel in the system Kubiak and Calhoun brought from Denver.

"I envision us playing more than one guy," Kubiak said. "We'll play two for sure. We might play three. We'll definitely have a system where we'll rotate so we're not wearing out one guy."

To be one of those backs, a runner has to block, especially on blitz pickup. If the back can't help protect quarterback David Carr, then he won't be on the field.
I need to keep this article for these statements alone. To me, it gives us the answer to "The Bush Question". We do not need an expensive RB in this system.
Old 08-19-2006   #20
J-Man
Veteran

Double Barrel...good point about Bush. I think that Kubes clearly sees things in a similar manner since he was part of the decision process that let Clinton Portis go in exchange for a top defensive player. Hey! that scenerio seems strangely familiar...

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read