Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2006   #1
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston - KC game in retrospect

Checking out the game stats from the KC - NYG game is real scary. Until today I thought that our team were much better than last year and that we held KC to very few yards because of this. Ok, we ARE better, no doubt about that, but when watching the game stats from last nights KC-NYG game, I wonder whether we're "very good", or that KC is just "very bad"

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20060817_KC@NYG

KC had a total of 90 passing yards and ... 42 rushing yards. It almost looks like Houstons production last eyar
Old 08-18-2006   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I see what you're saying and I think it would be foolish to assume that the reason we beat KC like we did was that the Texans were just "that good" when you have evidence like this staring you in the face. One thing to think about though is that the Giants beat this team (good or bad, whatever the Chiefs are) 17-0.

If Anderson's touchdown last week isn't called back because of Lewis holding and if he doesn't fumble that punt and if Kris Brown makes that FG we're probably looking at (in my estimation) a 31-7 Texans win last week. The final score of 24-14 doesn't really show how much the Texans controlled that game.

One thing good teams do to bad teams is they beat them. If the Chiefs are just a bad team then the Texans took care of business like they should have. I don't honestly know if the Texans are a good team but I know that they were a bad team and that the Dom Capers version of the Texans didn't play like the guys I saw last week against KC.

Also keep in mind that their left tackle has retired, they have injury problems in several areas, and they had Printers playing all but the first series or so (I honestly don't remember) for them. He won't be on the final roster. The only other QB they had was Smoker who was just insurance. This week against the Giants Smoker actually played. That is not necessarily a good thing.

So if the Chiefs are still a good team then we beat them which is a good thing and if the Chiefs are a bad team, well we beat them like we are supposed to. I see this as a win/win for the Texans.
Old 08-18-2006   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
So if the Chiefs are still a good team then we beat them which is a good thing and if the Chiefs are a bad team, well we beat them like we are supposed to. I see this as a win/win for the Texans.
You have a point and I agree with you
Old 08-18-2006   #4
wicked_wayz
all blacks

i don't nessarily think chiefs as being a bad team....remember its just preseason.....we don't know how good or bad the chiefs are until the actual season starts, where winning really counts....cause if i remember correctly the colts last season lost all their preseason games...and finish the regular season on top of the table
Old 08-18-2006   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

But the Colts maintained the continuity of their star players, their coaching staff and their system from '04 to '05. They knew exactly what they had.

The Chiefs have a new coaching staff, an entirely new offensive philosophy, and they lost a couple guys who meant a lot to their offense. They kinda know what they should have but they have yet to prove it.

Apples and oranges comparison.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #6
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
But the Colts maintained the continuity of their star players, their coaching staff and their system from '04 to '05. They knew exactly what they had.

The Chiefs have a new coaching staff, an entirely new offensive philosophy, and they lost a couple guys who meant a lot to their offense. They kinda know what they should have but they have yet to prove it.

Apples and oranges comparison.
It is not apples and oranges...the Chiefs have played their starters for a few series - max. How the second, third and fourth stringers perform in a game has no bearing on how well a team will perform in the regular season. Thus, outside of first quarter statistics of late, the scores and stats are meaningless...
Old 08-18-2006   #7
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Michael Strahan had 1 tackle and no sacks ..... Does this mean he's a bust?
Old 08-18-2006   #8
Demon
Rookie

Thumbs up

... and it is this pre-season thing. Teams go 4-0 in pre-season and can begin the regular season 1-5. I don't think that will be the case as I definitely believe Kubiak is da man.
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
But unlike Mario, he was blowing up Kyle Turley.

I got the same feeling as Malloy after watching the 1st half, but there are just too many factors that weigh into these games to draw any conclusions. Football is like every other sport in the sense that it's all about matchups.

I do think that KC is trouble this year.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
No, that only applies to the home team. If he came here he'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then, immediately after his first below average game he would be a career bust. Haven't you been paying attention?
Old 08-18-2006   #11
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

well i still think KC will be fine this year (unless herman edwards totally screws up the style of offense that made this team a powerhouse offense under vermil.) i dont think KC is very deep at all for an established franchise, hence the reason why our 2nd and 3rd string simply outplayed them. even if KC is a bad team this year, i still have optimism knowing that 1) we may have a team worse than us this yr, and 2) last yr we werent beating anybody, good or bad. its definitely a good thing to see us beat the teams were supposed to beat. i still think KC will be fine, but man are they going to miss vermil and roaf.
Old 08-18-2006   #12
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

KC looked horrible last night...

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #13
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

It is Preseason.

No one should get too high or too low about anything that happens in preseason. History repeatedly tells us one thing.....and that is preseason isn't the best time to evaluate how good(or bad) a team is. It is to evaluate the individual performances of the bottom 1/2 of the roster, a time to experiment. Many of the players who are certain to make the team don't even try. Most of the starters have one goal and it isn't winning, it is to not get hurt.

I wouldn't over analyze any thing that happens in preseason.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #14
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
It is Preseason.

No one should get too high or too low about anything that happens in preseason. History repeatedly tells us one thing.....and that is preseason isn't the best time to evaluate how good(or bad) a team is. It is to evaluate the individual performances of the bottom 1/2 of the roster, a time to experiment. Many of the players who are certain to make the team don't even try. Most of the starters have one goal and it isn't winning, it is to not get hurt.

I wouldn't over analyze any thing that happens in preseason.
Very true. Well said.
Old 08-18-2006   #15
Trapped
Veteran

KC have no depth at all. There Defense is suspect. THere first team got scored on first two posessions. and got scored on us 1/2 possessions.

They can move upfield on offense wit there starters. But not as good as last year.

But then again, this is preseason. I think Eli Manning will have some MVP votes this year.
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #16
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

While KC didn't look great, the Giants are that good.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trapped hit the nail on the head IMO. KC has what looks to be very suspect depth and as we can attest to, that tends to come back to haunt you during the regular season. The other thing is that Herm doesn't seem to have much of a game plan and is just looking at folks. (sounds a bit familiar) One of the KC players remarked that "If we have a game plan or scheme, we better start implementing it, because we sure have not been using it". Can't remember were I saw that, but I think it was on Yahoo sports.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #18
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
Checking out the game stats from the KC - NYG game is real scary. Until today I thought that our team were much better than last year and that we held KC to very few yards because of this. Ok, we ARE better, no doubt about that, but when watching the game stats from last nights KC-NYG game, I wonder whether we're "very good", or that KC is just "very bad"

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20060817_KC@NYG

KC had a total of 90 passing yards and ... 42 rushing yards. It almost looks like Houstons production last eyar
Well, everybody is expecting the Giants to be good this year.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #19
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
But unlike Mario, he was blowing up Kyle Turley.

I got the same feeling as Malloy after watching the 1st half, but there are just too many factors that weigh into these games to draw any conclusions. Football is like every other sport in the sense that it's all about matchups.

I do think that KC is trouble this year.
I don't know if you were saying this, but I think it's unfair to compare a rookie in his first game to Michael Strahan.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Strahan had 1 tackle, no assists and no sacks. Somebody needs to tell the tired has been to hang up his cleats.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read