Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting Camp Quotes today

Link:HoustonTexans.com

Quote:
(on changing up the defensive line) Our ideal situation would be to start (Anthony) Weaver at one end and Mario (Williams) at the other. To do that, this team has to continue to find another inside player. Whether thats going to happen or not, I dont know. How far Alfred (Malone) comes, how far (Earl) Cochran comes, that will be a key to that. We know that Mario and Anthony can play inside and out. When its all said and done, we have to play our best four. We have to figure that out through a little movement, and were going to do that in preseason.

(on DE/DT Anthony Weaver) Hes a real pro. Hes a great kid, he busts his tail on every down. We took votes last week, and I asked the players to vote for four players to represent there team in the preseason. These guys are not captains, we are going to decide who our captains are when we get to Philadelphia. We are going to send one guy out a week. Those top vote-getters were (WR) Andre Johnson, (DE/DT) Anthony Weaver, (QB) David Carr and (WR) Eric Moulds. I wanted the team to sit there and think about it, who they wanted to represent them right now. I wanted to see where we were at and I really wasnt surprised with the way the votes turned out. I dont think it was surprising to anybody.
Lots of good stuff in there relating to just about everything.
Old 08-17-2006   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Seems as if Seth Payne has been lost in nowhere land...
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Seems as if Seth Payne has been lost in nowhere land...

Quote:
(on the inside of the defensive line) I think Robaire Smith has played solid for us. When Anthony Weaver was in there he played extremely well. Travis Johnson is making progress. Seth Payne is a guy who is going to give you everything he has got every play. We are going to rotate those players. If we do find another inside player to go with Seth Payne, Robaire Smith, Travis Johnson, then we would like to play Anthony Weaver outside more. We are going to prepare as if we have chance for that to happen.
I think Kubiak just likes to rotate the defensive line to keep them fresh, rather than any indictment of Seth.

This should be interesting on Saturday if the Rams decide to do some of their no huddle.
Old 08-17-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

My comment on another thread about the first quote you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
That last quote I referenced by Kubiak is pretty interesting. It sounds like weakness in the middle of the line is keeping Weaver there; if our tackles were stronger Babin and Peek wouldn't be fighting for a starting spot.

It turns out he is shuffling the line right now just to identify the best players, not because he wants Mario to be a jack-of-all-trades.

I could easily be reading too much into a single quote.
Old 08-17-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Half of the 4 players selected to represent the team are new to the organization this year. Shows you the void of leadership in past years,
of perhaps the relative strength of leadership among new teammates, or both ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #6
AUSTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
My comment on another thread about the first quote you posted.

I continue to think that our best line combo has Mario and Weaver at ends... except on passing downs of course. If Mario can put some pressure on the pass, that would be a hell of a run-stopping end pair.

Don't know about anyone else, but I think the coaches noticed how much Weaver got pushed around by some good KC guards last week (I certainly did on the DVR)...
AUSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #7
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those top vote-getters were (WR) Andre Johnson, (DE/DT) Anthony Weaver, (QB) David Carr and (WR) Eric Moulds. I wanted the team to sit there and think about it, who they wanted to represent them right now.
I like that, make the guys vote, just like in HS, Love it. Getting back to the roots.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2006   #8
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

And I like this quote..................

Quote:
(on Pitt’s character) “I think it says a lot because you look at guys like him and (QB) David (Carr), and they’ve been here from the start busting their tail. When you go through something like last year and a player keeps battling, I think it says a lot about what they stand for.”
AND I like the confedence of this Rookie they call "Spencer".....................
Quote:
(on getting the starting spot) “It's competition at left tackle, (T) Seth Wand and I are both working hard every day. We are pushing each other to be better; this team needs a great left tackle.”

Last edited by Hulk75; 08-17-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2006   #9
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Is Weaver getting moved outside since he got blown up a lot against the Chiefs?
Old 08-17-2006   #10
wrestler4life
Veteran

Having Weaver outside does not say a lot for Babin/Peek and their worth
Old 08-17-2006   #11
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Weaver's performance does have something to do with it. However, it's more about how oustanding the three DTs have looked, Payne, TJ, and Bear. It's good he it open to having more than 8 DL on the roster. These nine would make sense Babin, Peak, those 3, Weaver, and Kalu and then the fourth tackle, Cockren or Malone. I like the idea of having not just the two former linebackers as the reserve ends, but Kalu also. He adds experience.
Old 08-17-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking that Weaver on the edge is a better option than a rotation of Peek - Babin. Both Peek and Babin can rotate in and play to their strength in a limited role as reserves. I thought Weaver was a bit light in the loafers as a DT based on limited snaps. He is pretty much a tweener DE/DT much like Peek is a tweener LB/DE. We may struggle inside this year, but it is really too early to tell clearly.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'm thinking that Weaver on the edge is a better option than a rotation of Peek - Babin. Both Peek and Babin can rotate in and play to their strength in a limited role as reserves. I thought Weaver was a bit light in the loafers as a DT based on limited snaps. He is pretty much a tweener DE/DT much like Peek is a tweener LB/DE. We may struggle inside this year, but it is really too early to tell clearly.

L. Johnson seemed to have room to run up the middle last week. Hopefully we shutdown Steven Jackson, he's got some power, but underachieved last year IMO.....I will have to make sure to watch our interior DL this weekend.
Old 08-17-2006   #14
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
Having Weaver outside does not say a lot for Babin/Peek and their worth
Wasn't Weaver originally brought in to play DE before we drafted Mario?
Old 08-17-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. From the day we picked Mario, I thought we should line him up at right end and let him terrorize left tackles. We are somewhat familiar with that concept. That is what most teams do. That would put Weaver at left end and leave our tackles where they are.

I haven't posted much about that thought until recently because I wanted to see what he coaches had up their sleeves. They know a lot more about it than me. I was somewhat surprised with this recent quote that implies that they aren't doing that because we are weak at tackle.

I have confidence that our staff will find the right combination; they are following a process to determine the best defensive line they can field. I like that much better than them deciding who goes where before they enter camp and sticking to that decision no matter what. This is a very interesting pre-season on many levels. I'm enjoying the ride.
Old 08-18-2006   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Whats the word on TJ. I thought he looked pretty solid against the Chiefs. His stats dont show it but he seemed to be around the ball all the time, and he was fired up out there.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #17
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
L. Johnson seemed to have room to run up the middle last week. Hopefully we shutdown Steven Jackson, he's got some power, but underachieved last year IMO.....I will have to make sure to watch our interior DL this weekend.
the main reason LJ had room up the middle was a probowl caliber trio in the middle for KC. I dont think it was poor play by our tackles. as far as weaver playing outside, kubiak seems to be real big on having the best guy at each position, and weaver IS a prototype DE. on the Seth Payne issue someone brought up, I have listened very closely to Kubiaks comments and what I get is that Kubiak is very pleased with payne and so he's more of a non-issue rather than oblivious. basicly Payne has earned his spot allready so far. I would like to see cochran with a shot at the 4th tackle spot personally, he has great push and moves laterally well. my
Old 08-18-2006   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My thoughts exactly...we're thin in the middle. And better teams are going to see it and exploit it. Hopefully we will counteract and roll the defense toward the middle somehow during the actual play(s) if possible.

I really liked the delay blitzes we ran. Really nice.
Old 08-18-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
The Texans are changing their starting defensive line for the second preseason game at St. Louis.

End Mario Williams is moving from the strong to the weak side. Tackle Anthony Weaver is moving to strong-side end, the position he played at Baltimore. Robaire Smith and Travis Johnson will start at tackle.
Williams to the weakside this weekend.

TJ is starting too. I like it when a player proves me wrong by exceeding my expectations, even if they were pretty low. I hope he keeps it up.

The article didn't mention the o-line shuffle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4125445.html
Old 08-18-2006   #20
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Leave Weaver inside, let Peek and Babin rotate in one spot.

Peek
Mario
Weaver-He will be fine, please remeber it was the Chiefs we were playing. Who does look good vs them?
Row

LEAVE Mario at end dont put him in the middle on 3rd downs, I dont like that. Atleast not everytime. We could have found anyone to do that( take up doubles), leave the freak on the outside and get the QB.

I watched the game and if Trent held the ball for just another step Mario would have blew him up. He spun and right when he got around the ball was comming out.

Last edited by Hulk75; 08-18-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read