Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2006   #1
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Drew Hodgeden

I have not heard any news about Drew Hodgeden? Did he play Saturday night? Anyone have any info on him?
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #2
real

I was thinking about him too....I think he is second string and i think he played....But on another note...Is this the center of our future ? He has a great mentor....
Old 08-17-2006   #3
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2
I have not heard any news about Drew Hodgeden? Did he play Saturday night? Anyone have any info on him?
He did play with the second unit, and like the rest of the line, seemed to be doing a good job. I am trying not to get out of control with my enthusiastic optimism for this team, but there are way too many positive signs.

I remember the line was at their best last year (whatever that might be worth) when he made his couple of starts.
Old 08-17-2006   #4
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Man, great to see this thread. I awakened this morning thinking about him. (No wise cracks!). I like the fact that we have some potential future starters getting training. I do not know much about him, but liked what little I saw of him on field last year. Can you imagine how it was for a rookie coming into that mess? Hopefully Flanagan will be good for him.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
(No wise cracks!).
I wouldn't use that word when talking about centers.
Old 08-17-2006   #6
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I wouldn't use that word when talking about centers.
Carr told me that if you watch a game closely, the QB never looks straight down.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #7
rafterticket
Veteran

Default Hodgdon for Morency

I remembered someone had a Hodgdon thread from last week.

Did anyone see that awesome block Hodgdon threw to open that hole for Morency's 43 yard td?

I am fast becoming a fan of Hodgdon.....and Morency.
Old 08-21-2006   #8
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i didnt see specifically what hogdon did, but i did see what the entire line did on that play. they opened a gaping hole....i could have scored a td on that play.
Old 08-21-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterticket
Did anyone see that awesome block Hodgdon threw to open that hole for Morency's 43 yard td?
Talk about executing a play the way it's drawn up, that play was a perfect illistration of the concept and Hodgdon should get every bit as much cred for the romp Morency made as Morency himself.
That's exactly the strength of Hodgdons skill - his quickness to get to the second level and block a backer. He should excel in this ZB system, as it puts more emphasis on quickness and maneuverability than it does size and strength. Hodgdon is smallish to start with, but with this system he shouldn't have to worry as much about bulking up.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Talk about executing a play the way it's drawn up, that play was a perfect illistration of the concept and Hodgdon should get every bit as much cred for the romp Morency made as Morency himself.
That's exactly the strength of Hodgdons skill - his quickness to get to the second level and block a backer. He should excel in this ZB system, as it puts more emphasis on quickness and maneuverability than it does size and strength. Hodgdon is smallish to start with, but with this system he shouldn't have to worry as much about bulking up.
He's not too smallish. He's right at a guards wieght.

Hodgdon, Drew C 6-3 309 2 Arizona State
Old 08-21-2006   #11
TexanBearkat
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to TexanBearkat

I liked Hodgden as well last year and now he gets a chance to step back and learn from Flanagan. It's just great that this team has some quality depth this year, something sorely lacking.
Old 08-21-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Hodgdon is 6'3 291 according to the August 15 daily roster.

I'd say 6'3 is being a teeny bit generous -- based on seeing him fairly up-close at camp.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
He's not too smallish. He's right at a guards wieght.
Hodgdon, Drew C 6-3 309 2 Arizona State
I didn't say too small (or too smallish ?), I said smallish.
But here's the deal. The Broncos Tom Whalen has been the prototype center in the ZB scheme for a long time and he plays in the 280s, which is diminutive compared to many OLineman these days. By comparison, the team we open agains, the Eagles, have a 330 lb center and their guards also average 330.
ZB puts a premium on quickness, so guys that are carrying too much beef because they are overcompensating for being undersized don't have that concern in this system, and can play at a weight that they are more naturally suited to, with reason.
I saw Hodgdon up close and personal at practice last year, and I dunno if he's
6'2", let alone 6'3" and he also looked fat. So in this system he could drop bellow even 290 and not be penalized like he would be where he was in a man or drive blocking system.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read