Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2006   #1
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Default texans practice 8/16/06

i was there with my football team (if anyone was there tonight...they white and gold jerseys...about 60 of us and a bunch of coaches/trainers) and what an experience. players were awesome to us, met most of the players... had al ot of fun.

on what my thoughts were on the team... andre johnson tore up in team time when he had about 4 tds where he was untouched. Carr and Rosenfels were on the money. Defensive wise it was hard to tell since it was helmets only, but some dbs made some awesome plays. Overall the practice was up tempo and they got stuff done.

Anyone who has attended a practice, whats your thoughts on what you see?
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Northland Christian. I saw you guys - you were hard to miss.

You are right about Andre. Carr just needs to find him like that when it counts.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #3
cbnjwill
Veteran

Default practice tonite

i was there tonite and saw many of your players out and about. not news breaking but yes #80 looked awesome!!! this guy can be so good its scary they just need to make sure he gets plenty of balls his way. thought lundy looked good dd didnt practice again thought he looked a little chunky but like i said he was at the other end of the field not practicing wth the team.
cbnjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #4
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Glad your group had a good time. AJ looked dominant as usual.

Did anybody else notice that for a few reps, they had Wand at RT and Winston at LT?
Old 08-16-2006   #5
Dr2bKay
All Pro

Section: 116 Bull Pen Baby
Rep Power: 379 Dr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respected

I was there..and saw your group..I think I may have pushed one of the huge guys aside to get to DD. Overall, I thought that Andre did a good job at the receptions...Hopefully that will show up on game days..
Dr2bKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42
i was there with my football team (if anyone was there tonight...they white and gold jerseys...about 60 of us and a bunch of coaches/trainers) and what an experience. players were awesome to us, met most of the players... had al ot of fun.

on what my thoughts were on the team... andre johnson tore up in team time when he had about 4 tds where he was untouched. Carr and Rosenfels were on the money. Defensive wise it was hard to tell since it was helmets only, but some dbs made some awesome plays. Overall the practice was up tempo and they got stuff done.

Anyone who has attended a practice, whats your thoughts on what you see?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 08-17-2006   #7
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Glad your group had a good time. AJ looked dominant as usual.

Did anybody else notice that for a few reps, they had Wand at RT and Winston at LT?

What probably will happen is only one of the two backups Ts will be active on game day. Meaning they have to be the swing T, playing both sides. So if Spencer is the starting LT and Wand and Winston are the backup Ts, the one who plays both positions the best gets playing time.

To me that is the greatest strength of Wand, but Winston will get plenty of playing time when Wiegart brakes down as he always does.
Old 08-17-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
To me that is the greatest strength of Wand, but Winston will get plenty of playing time when Wiegart brakes down as he always does.
If Weigert breaks down early in the season, I would not be surprised to see Spencer at LT and Wand at RT. If Wand is the starting LT (which he will be, IMO), they will move him to RT and bring in Spencer, because they will want their two best remaining tackles on the field.
Old 08-17-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
If Weigert breaks down early in the season, I would not be surprised to see Spencer at LT and Wand at RT. If Wand is the starting LT (which he will be, IMO), they will move him to RT and bring in Spencer, because they will want their two best remaining tackles on the field.
Wand got a lot of reps at RT last night - sharing with Winston, mainly because they were short of tackles with Weigert and Salaam sitting out, but yes, that's a possible scenario.
Old 08-17-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Wand got a lot of reps at RT last night - sharing with Winston, mainly because they were short of tackles with Weigert and Salaam sitting out, but yes, that's a possible scenario.
It seems they are concentrating on keeping Spencer at one position - LT - rather than have him play both sides. They want him focused on one job and set of movements. I imagine they don't want to do anything to hinder his development at this time.

This should cool down some of the Spencer can play LT/RT/guard speculation some.
Old 08-17-2006   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The Insider has a video link to Carr and Williams signing autographs after this last practice.
Old 08-17-2006   #12
joetexan
Rookie

How did Mario look?
joetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They want him focused on one job and set of movements. I imagine they don't want to do anything to hinder his development at this time.
I like that if its true and wish they would apply that same philosophy to Mario and just leave him at strong side DE for the time being.
Consider this, Mario turned just 21 in January of this year and had just got out of High School 3 years ago at this time. And now they got him playing multiple postions in the preseason of his first year in the NFL.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I like that if its true and wish they would apply that same philosophy to Mario and just leave him at strong side DE for the time being.
I've always thought this too, although I'd put him at the weakside. However, I defer to the coaches' experience about this. I'm not complaining until I see the results.
Old 08-17-2006   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've always thought this too, although I'd put him at the weakside.
Hey, I really think that's a scenario for our DEs which is not that out of the
question, with Weaver at strongside and Mario over on the weakside. Usually
a team doesn't have the luxury of playing such a big DE on weakside when hes needed on the strongside where size is more at a premium. But this may
be Weaver's best positon in the 4-3, which does give you that luxury of playing your top pass rusher at the position which is most advantagous for him to apply his specialty. But wherever they place Mario, leave him there
for awhile.
And back to Weaver, I'm still a little newvous about playing him inside, as he
is gonna have to go up against some really big guards. For example, ex Razorback and Eagles gaurd Shawn Andrews awaits a Weaver at LDT, and he's at 340. That means Weaver is giving up > 50 lbs against that monster,
and that's whats called a mismatch.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #16
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Was Morrency with the first team and how did he look?
Old 08-17-2006   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've always thought this too, although I'd put him at the weakside. However, I defer to the coaches' experience about this. I'm not complaining until I see the results.

They can't put him on the weakside because Peek/Babin can only play weakside due to their size. It is important that he learn different positions though. They envision him on the weakside on short yardage downs with Weaver on the strong side and Payne, Robaire, and/or TJ in the middle. Then, on obvious passing downs, they may want he and TJ or Weaver in the middle with Peek and Babin on the outside. Finally, on 1st and 10, for instance, they want him on the strong side, Babin on the weakside, and Weaver and Payne/Robaire/TJ in the middle. These combinations maximize the DL situationally and allow our defense to dictate a lot of the game.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
Morency looked quick and decisive. He should get plenty of reps in St. Louis. The backs rotated for much of the night. Morency, Lundy, Rhodes, Taylor, and Smith all got touches.
Old 08-17-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
They can't put him on the weakside because Peek/Babin can only play weakside due to their size.
Weaver would be the other DE in that scenario.
Old 08-17-2006   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
The guys were in helmets and shorts at 3/4 speed with no tackling/limited contact on receivers and backs so you can't really make an accurate assessment of how he looked based on last night's practice -- aside from that he looked healthy. All of the backs split first team carries at one time or another. Wait 'til Saturday and we will all see how V Man looks in full gear at game speed. I'm hoping he does well because we need him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read