Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2006   #1
stx-texans
Rookie

Default wands performance

anyone care to comment on wands performance? i was not real impressed with either him or spencer. but will give both a break since its a hard position to play and for wand a new system to play in, as for spencer he is a rookie not really looking for anything spectacular in first preseason game. please enlighten me texan gurus.
stx-texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx-texans
anyone care to comment on wands performance? i was not real impressed with either him or spencer. but will give both a break since its a hard position to play and for wand a new system to play in, as for spencer he is a rookie not really looking for anything spectacular in first preseason game. please enlighten me texan gurus.
I don't know what's not to be impressed with. In pass protection, Wand held up very well. There was one play where he got bull-rushed pretty good, but he was able to sit down and give Carr the pocket. Other than that, I saw nothing get in from the left side. Spencer showed flashed of dominance. He reminds me a lot of Eric Williams when he came into the league for Dallas. He plays violently and strong.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #3
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx-texans
I assume you didn't get to watch the game. From what I saw Wand did a good job blocking with the team running the ball. He also did a good job in pass coverage, but he did seem to be giving a little more ground than you would like to see in his postion. Spencer was an absolute beast whenever it came to the run, but it's unfair to judge his dominance against a lower level of compettion. Spencer also played well against the pass, but again it was against a lower level of compettion. If Wand continues to get better on the same pace as Spencer, then he will hold down the spot.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I felt that both Wand and Spencer played very well. Spencer was dominant at times even though he was playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers mostly. He looked the part of a legit franchise LT. Wand played very well too, and frankly Spencer will have to beat Wand out for the starting job. It won't be a case of Wand stinking it up and then having the starting role given to Spencer. The best player will earn the role.

Winston looked good, but not nearly as good as Spencer. He'll come along in time, but we've got Weigart at RT so there really isn't any rush. I can't believe I'm going to say this for the first time in franchise history. 'I like our depth along the offensive line'.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with most of the takes here, Wand looked really good in run protection and kind of iffy in pass protection. Wand's man had him in the backfield on one or two pass plays, but Carr was still able to get the ball off in time. I didn't pay as much attention to Spencer, but from what I did see of him he played well. I think Vinny paid some attention to Spencer so he may be able to chime in on this. I was going to review the game tape today but did not get a chance, I'll have to do it during the week sometime.
Old 08-15-2006   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Here are a few recent threads that have delved into this matter:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...t=26346&page=3

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=26389

My own rant:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...t=26346&page=3

Basically, same footage but different perspectives.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #7
da.texans
Rookie

I was at the game on saturday and as far as I am concern, Wand did great with limited reps he had on first quarter.
da.texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2006   #8
Doom Capers
Veteran

Good. Lets hope he can hold up and continue during the regular season.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #9
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

the o-line didnt give up a sack and we rushed for well over 150 yards total. who cares how the individual does.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read