Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2006   #1
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Don't look for DD much before week 4

These quotes are from Kubes today (Monday) and it really seems like he isn't looking for DD much before week 4.

(on how much work Domanick will be able to handle when he comes back) “Well, you’d like to have a lot, that’s just part of football. It’s hard to go out and play without the work. With his situation, we have to do what’s right. We want to get something out of this year. We have to do what we have to do to get him to that point, and we’re not going to hurt him in the preseason because I think he needs the extra reps. We’re going to be smart with that. If Domanick is full strength for this football team, be it in week four, week five or week six he’s going to help this football team win, so we have to be smart with that.”

(on Domanick needing reps during the preseason) “I don’t want to answer that right now. I think that would be hard, that would be very hard to do. I think he’d tell you the same thing. I don’t know, stranger things have happened. Let’s wait and see.”

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

This whole DD situation really bothers me. He's been out for a long time, and I'm not so sure anymore that he'll ever be ready. Week 4 sounds like a great estimate, but this injury has already taken way more time than "predicted" earlier. At this point I'm just hoping that DD will have a working knee for the rest of his life, and if we're real lucky he'll continue to play for us.

Time will tell, but alot of time has passed already :I
Old 08-14-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

After I read it I thought Kubiak was just thorowing numbers out there without any certainty as to when DD comes back. I may be wrong though.
Old 08-14-2006   #4
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

I think Kubes is just saying DD take your time, BUT if takes too long then don't expect to be #1 RB when you come back. I heard Rick Smith was quoted as saying they wanted to give him time, but there comes a time to play through pain. I think they feel he is being overly cautious about his knee
Old 08-14-2006   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
I think they feel he is being overly cautious about his knee
All we have really, is a bunch of speculation, but if that was my knee I sure would be cautious too!
Old 08-14-2006   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue

Please believe me when I say that I am REALLY NOT TRYING to stir anything up with my next statement...

DD's injuries are the ONLY reason I wanted Bush over MW.

There, I said it. Let the stone-hurling begin.
No need to duck-n-over on that one, it was a valid concern coming in, and it's not looking any better.
That said, I think this Offense is designed to make even "second-echelon" RBs look good, so that we didn't need to waste a #1 on an RB.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Please believe me when I say that I am REALLY NOT TRYING to stir anything up with my next statement...
TROUBLEMAKER!!
Old 08-14-2006   #8
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
These quotes are from Kubes today (Monday) and it really seems like he isn't looking for DD much before week 4.

(on how much work Domanick will be able to handle when he comes back) “Well, you’d like to have a lot, that’s just part of football. It’s hard to go out and play without the work. With his situation, we have to do what’s right. We want to get something out of this year. We have to do what we have to do to get him to that point, and we’re not going to hurt him in the preseason because I think he needs the extra reps. We’re going to be smart with that. If Domanick is full strength for this football team, be it in week four, week five or week six he’s going to help this football team win, so we have to be smart with that.”

(on Domanick needing reps during the preseason) “I don’t want to answer that right now. I think that would be hard, that would be very hard to do. I think he’d tell you the same thing. I don’t know, stranger things have happened. Let’s wait and see.”

I'm glad. Keep him out until he's fully healed. No need to rush it. Especially with the knee.

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's totally valid, I just don't think that Reggie is our kind of RB. I really thought DD would be able to be back for the beginning of this season and at least play 3/4's of it.

I still like the way our draft turned out regardless of DD's health.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #10
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:

DD's injuries are the ONLY reason I wanted Bush over MW.

WL will be better than DD. Especially on after-the-tackle or after-the-catch extra yardage.

Old 08-14-2006   #11
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Man...just the luck of this team. DD gets hurt beyond repair after signing a relatively large contract. I was never a fan of his really, but this just sucks more.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Reggie Bush for the same reasons but I can honestly admit that a lot of what makes him attractive is stuff that Kubiak would probably rather he not be doing. I don't exactly see him as a "Make your one cut and head upfield" kind of RB.

I think Domanick Davis "healthy" would be literally a beast in this offense. If he could stay healthy for entire seasons he'd own one of the Pro Bowl slots for AFC running backs. He runs the way this offense runs. Lundy does too but one small part of a single preseason game does not make him the perfect fit and better than Domanick Davis. That's a ridiculous thing to say. "Big John Wells" ripped the Saints for 60+ yards in a single half back in 2002 and he's not better than Domanick Davis.

---------------------------
Edit

But having said that I want to add that I'm excited about Lundy and I want to see more of what he did Saturday night. I think we're in good shape with Davis, Lundy, Taylor, and Morency. I don't even think we need Antowain Smith but they'll probably keep him and put one of the kids on the practice squad. That's cool too.
Old 08-14-2006   #13
GrandPa
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
No need to duck-n-over on that one, it was a valid concern coming in, and it's not looking any better.
That said, I think this Offense is designed to make even "second-echelon" RBs look good, so that we didn't need to waste a #1 on an RB.
If this offense is so good that you only need a "second-echelon" running back, why doesn't every NFL team run it? That way no team would ever need to waste a #1 pick on a RB.

Seriously what is so "special" and if it is so special why have not all the other teams adopted the same style.

If you think about it, it makes absolutely no sense. Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

Someone please enlighten me as to what it is and why only we can run it with scrubs but no one else can.
GrandPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is the 3-4 a good fit for some teams and not everyone? Why did some teams take a bunch of undersized wideouts and field the Run and Shoot? This offense appears to be about taking parts that most teams don't need/use and putting them into situations where they can be successful.

Take lighter and quicker linemen (when the rest of the NFL is going for the big heavies) and quick decisive RB's that aren't lightning fast or exceptionally powerful and create a seam for them to run through all while you're rolling your mobile QB out and keeping everybody honest. The only part of the equation that's really different from what a lot of other teams do is the blocking scheme and much like the 3-4 it's being run by more than just one or two teams. The Falcons are doing it too now. My memory isn't what it used to be but I think there is one other team (besides Houston, Denver, and Atlanta) that's doing this. Hey we were trying to do it before Capers and Pendry left, they just didn't know how to do it right.
Old 08-14-2006   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Baltimore is the other team that runs the zone blocking scheme.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #16
texman8
Veteran

Maybe Texans will put DD on PUP list.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #17
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 71 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default week 6!!!!

All Kubes was saying is that DD needs to get at full strength as soons as possiable, because only then can he truly help this team. If that does that happen until week 4 or 5, Kubes is ok with that. If DD is place on the PUP list he can not play until week 7. Considering the Texans play the Cowgirls on week 6, I really think that is a last resort.
Old 08-15-2006   #18
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I think Domanick Davis "healthy" would be literally a beast in this offense.
---------------------------
Edit

But having said that I want to add that I'm excited about Lundy and I want to see more of what he did Saturday night. I think we're in good shape with Davis, Lundy, Taylor, and Morency. I don't even think we need Antowain Smith but they'll probably keep him and put one of the kids on the practice squad. That's cool too.
Thanks for the "EDIT." I agree w/you 100% that DD would be a beast in the Kubiak offense. In fact, DDs even a better fit than Lundy. But the thing that I didn't like about DD is that when there's nothing down the middle he gets stuck: tackled and dropped to the grass. He's a powerful "little" package. But he's not that powerful.

I just wanted a RB that could hammer the middle and carry guys with him. Or at least evade, get hit, and still keep going 4-5 MORE yards. That's what I see in Lundy. He can create more than DD. Not, this does not mean that WL will just freelance. No. To the contrary. He seems like a great system-back. But also can create more yardage on his own while staying w/in the Kubs offense.

Last edited by Smash_Mouth_Mario; 08-15-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2006   #19
TFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 10376 TFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPa
If this offense is so good that you only need a "second-echelon" running back, why doesn't every NFL team run it? That way no team would ever need to waste a #1 pick on a RB.

Seriously what is so "special" and if it is so special why have not all the other teams adopted the same style.

If you think about it, it makes absolutely no sense. Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

Someone please enlighten me as to what it is and why only we can run it with scrubs but no one else can.

It's a one cut and go system the running back does not have to think all to much and does not really need power or agility. The blockers or able to take out the defensive lineman with cut blocks and double team blocks to the second level.

The reason why some coachs don't run it becuase they do not know how to run it example Pendry and crew ran it, but did not do it the way it is suppose to run.
TFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Baltimore is the other team that runs the zone blocking scheme.
I didn't know about the Ravens but the Falcons run a version of it and the Packers are trying to install a version this year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read