Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bennie Joppru at fullback

Coach K delivers an A-OK

The way Kubiak was publicly so open about it, I take it that Jameel Cook and Nick Luchey are not the answers at fullback.

"Our fullback has to be sharp, and he has to be able to diagnose what we're doing up front. He makes a lot of adjustments at the line of scrimmage in this scheme. On third-and-one, he's got to block the linebacker and help us move the chains. He also figures in our play-action game, too."

I take it from K that this is NOT happening. Enter Bennie Joppru.

"We may work Bennie at fullback some more," Kubiak said. "We did that early in camp, but we were afraid it might impede his progress. But now I think he's ready. It's an advantage if you're a dual-role guy."
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #2
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Bennie, at fullback or even tight end......still up in the air about Bennie, 3 years now from Michigan, and just now playing football, I do not know if he will stay as crisp as we would like, after no football for 3 years, it might be hard for him to compete again at this level on a constant basis, I truely hope he does well, I wish we would of sent him to NFL Europe in the off season to tighten him up.......All the best to Bennie as time will only tell.....
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Cook is fine. They have not been able to find a back-up to him. Joppru is getting a shot to stay on the roster by showing some flexibility. Let's hold off on him taking over the position.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #4
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Yes I like Jamel Cook from Tampa Bay, he is the real deal, I believe he will be the deal for this system, he can surely block......he was a true steal...
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gee, I wonder which one will be the least injury prone.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #6
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Use him at fullback, tight end, special teams, holder, 4th and short situations, or whatever, just play. I will not say anything about what Coach Kubs calls him as long as he stays healthy. Personally I would like to see him in more of a Mark Breuner type role, at least for this year.
Old 08-14-2006   #7
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

This is what McClain is paid to do. Talk Texans. Provide substance. Since we've dogged him so much on this board, I figured I would say "well done, John."

Though I did think it a little funny that he mentioned fullback "Nick (Lachey)"
Old 08-14-2006   #8
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I think Cook is fine. They have not been able to find a back-up to him. Joppru is getting a shot to stay on the roster by showing some flexibility. Let's hold off on him taking over the position.
and im skeptical to see joppru play fullback because u take lots of poundings. i sure hope joppru can handle those hits considering how injury prone he has been...unfortunately.
Old 08-14-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC
and im skeptical to see joppru play fullback because u take lots of poundings. i sure hope joppru can handle those hits considering how injury prone he has been...unfortunately.
Well, maybe it's a good sign that none of his three season ending injuries invovled contact with another player.
Old 08-14-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

From this point forward we will see an ironic phenomenon of watching Bennie Joppru injure opponents repeatly, while staying healthy for about 10 yrs. It's called karma-dropped-you.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #11
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

anyways, having a TE at fullback on a PA situation is great, Do you follow him after he hits you with a block, do you try to shed him and go for the ball carrier? If you shed him he could be the target of the pass if you try to stay with him, he could totally block you out of the play or distract you from the running back.. in other words its a headache
Old 08-14-2006   #12
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

If he can stay healthy, I think Joppru would make a very good H-back. His blocking has never been a question and his receiving skills seemingly have improved since his days at Michigan.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
If he can stay healthy, I think Joppru would make a very good H-back. His blocking has never been a question and his receiving skills seemingly have improved since his days at Michigan.
IIRC, he was about 15-20 lbs heavier then. I think he needs to pick up on his weight about 15 lbs.
Old 08-14-2006   #14
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
This is the "Fullback" mode he would be used in, as an H back. Move him around and motion him and the grinding and pounding that a traditional fullback gets are lessened. Closer to the line and moving. Fits in well with the zone blocking scheme. It is actually better to run the zone out of a one back set. The fullback determining the hole just invites athletic defenses to run to the ball quickly. Move him to H and let him compete and see who comes out on top.
coachdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #15
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Coach K delivers an A-OK

The way Kubiak was publicly so open about it, I take it that Jameel Cook and Nick Luchey are not the answers at fullback.
I think this more reflects how much they like Joppru, given the current TE depth, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-14-2006   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC
TE is not exactly easy on the body. Really Joppru is going to have prove he can stay healthy not matter the position. If he is willing to do multiple things his chance of making the squad improves greatly. As a TE only, Bruener, Daniels, and Putzier are all seemingly ahead of him.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Though its nice to just SEE him on the field, one has to remember that he is still just a rookie. He's fresh, he hasn't been hit in a game since what...2002, 2003? I think we should try to move him around with the first and second team against the Rams, to see what type of player he can be. With his size, I don't think he's best suited for TE, considering he would be, at best, fourth on the depth chart. He can be our version of Dallas Clark, who has burned us a few times too many, as our H-back.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #18
tmobileman
noob

Quote:
Joppru has always been a good receiver, thats his strength he dropped 1 or 2 passes his senior year and caught 53 balls
tmobileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #19
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes also mentioned he has thrown the whole playbook at the team, which is not average. That, I think, is the only reason Cook had the MAs, missed assignments. Kubes went on to express confidence in Cook to fix everything. But as far as a backup to Cook, I think that will be Bennie's niche. That's what happens to you work your butt off, coaches find ways to get you involved.
Old 08-17-2006   #20
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe he will bring to us what chris cooley has brought to the skins

lets only hope
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read