Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2004   #21
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
isnt [Capers} a defensive coordinaor anyways ??? I thought most head coaches were usually offensive masterminds ????
The Patriots head coach Belicheck (sp?) is a defensive genious. It seems like defenses usually win championships. Fans are the ones that want the high-flying passing game. It is usually good defense and a ball-control offense that wins it though.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #22
J-Man
Veteran

All in all I am happy with the process of the team, yes I want us to go out and go 10-6 and the playoffs this year...but is that realistic? No.

I do believe that half the teams in the NFL right now have the same record as we do so I'm not concerned right now with Dom's preformance, Palmer I'm a bit more shaky on but I will reserve judgements until the season is thru. I suspect that midway thru next season (team preforming well or poorly) that is when we will start hearing the real positions of McNair and Casserly on Capers future. He's a lock to take the team thru this year and barring a major setback, like 0-16, he's back next season. Then your in year 4 of the vaunted 5 year plan...results will be non-negotiable at that point I believe.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #23
Blake

I really like Dom Capers, give him 2 more years before putting the teams progress or lack there of squarely on his shoulders. The Texans are just in they're 3rd year and are showing great strides of improving with how well they are drafting. Texans will be in the playoffs in 2 years, I can almost gurantee you that. They are really setting themselves up to be a consistant playoff contender. Heres to Dallas and Houston in the Superbowl...
Old 09-14-2004   #24
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullTexan
You stop LT with an agressive, blitzing, attacking defense. Did any of you experts see any of that?
Yeah, you bring in a run blitz and LT takes it to the house if he gets past the first line of the defense.

The two basic keys to winning in the NFL are to hold on to the ball when you have it and take it away from the other guy when he has it. The Texans didn't do either one.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #25
phan1
All Pro

You're crazy! I think Caper's had done a terriffic job with the team. And it's not like we got blown out by the Chargers! Look at the significant improvements on the offense. You can't say the trio of Carr, Davis, and Johnson won't go far.

We just made some bad mistakes (ie 4 turnovers). And you guys keep on talking about the urgency and the pressure to deliver instantly... Sorry guys, but I'm still not feeling it. Capers has done a great job so far, and if you look out our team on paper, it will only be a matter of time before the ball gets rolling for us. We were in a whole bunch of close games last year, compteting against teams that *should have* been able beat us by 10 pts. Capers is doing a great job, and I really think the city of Houston believes that.

Now if we didn't show anything good on Sunday, that would be a different story. But if you can't see the progress that we're making, than you are off your rocker.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Blitz

I think we should put 9 men in the box and blitz all of them.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #27
strong guard13
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to strong guard13

man you guys sure are smart
strong guard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2004   #28
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

There is no way that Capers is on the hot seat...and no its not even close to warm. He has done an outstanding job of putting this team together and he always gives us a chance to win. This last sunday came down to execution and the 3 turnovers that hurt is was what cost us the game...and I know there were 4 turnovers but the one at the end of the half really didnt have an effect on the game...it could have possibly turned into a long field goal attempt but at that point in the game it was a good play, but Carr just read and delivered it a tad bit too late...a little more anticipation of where AJ was going to be would have been a lot better than throwing it as late as he did...but it still was at the end of the half and resulted in no harm (score board wise).
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #29
JEB2ATX
Rookie

Capers isn't on the Hot Seat but he will be if the finish in last place with all of the talent that he kept on wraps last year. Last year we should've passed more but we didn't. Capers' and the OC's game plan was let's try a mix of both pas and run but if it starts not going anywhere its always run run pass. Their mixture confuses no one. Especially when they fell behind. The first quarter or sometimes the first half always looks promising but come third and ourth quarter they lose the ofensive mixup and every play is a run play.

How else did we lose those games last year? Sorry Dom you did a great job recruiting and getting good solid draft picks. But next year could be your last if we don't produce a playoff berth. I probably ain't your fault but we've had a serious upbringing but everyone has to move on to other things at times. Production counts. I believe we have a winning team now. We should be in the playoffs this year. If not this one next year with this highly productive squad....that is everyone except Bradford. He hasn't been as big in this offense as he was in Green Bay. I personally think he should be the third receiver.
JEB2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #30
Playmaker
Veteran

Rep Power: 244 Playmaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respectedPlaymaker is a quality contributor and well respected

If we are talking bottomline talk...

My expectations for this year is a .500 ball club...or near that. If we can't get at least 6 or 7 wins, then we underacheived. We have way too much talent to be another 5-11 team (barring major injuries of course).

I also expect more takeaways from the defense, and less long drives going against them. This is suppose to be Dom's strong suit, he needs to start showing it. I know that he is starting 2 rookies on defense, but they've been hyped as the ones that will be the future of the defense, I'd like to see those potentials start showing what they got this year. Dunta's performance last Sunday is hopefully an abberration and rookie mistakes.

Bottomline though, if I don't see more W's this year, then I'll know that Dom is in the hotseat.
Playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read