Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Questions I have. Anybody have the answers?

OK, forgive me if these are boneheaded questions. But I was wondering...

Did Eric Winston play? If so, how did he do? I cannot recall seeing him or hearing his name called. Of course, it was the Chiefs' broadcast team and they hardly mentioned our players in the second half.

Did it seem that we were moving our defensive linemen all around the line, a lot? I noticed Mario moving further inside the line on a few plays. Is it just an in-game playcalling maneuver that Kubiak uses and they mix it up on-the-fly as to who plays wher on each play, or is there a set rotation where you know if you see Mario on the end then you got x-player at guard and y-player at tackle or if Mario slides into the tackle spot then you know where other linemen are at, etc.? I had a hard time keeping up with who was at each position all game long.

Wong didn't specifically mention when he might be back, he just said that it's looking better every day blah-blah-blah. Does anyone know the most recent timeframe for his return?

How many roster spots does Denver typically utilize for running backs? Just wondering if we can gauge how many Kubiak will carry this season.
Old 08-13-2006   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston played most of (if not all) the 2nd half at RT. I thought he did well, as the entire line did. Bigs ups to the O-line!

Mario played strong side end (where the TE lined up) on the base defense, and LDT in the nickel. I think Mario would have played better just staying at LDE. But this is about getting better, not how well you play in the preseason.

I had heard Wong was trying to get back by the opener. That may be overly optimisic.

Denver kept 4 RBs and 2 FBs last season. I don't know if that is typical or not. If I were to guess, I'd say Davis, Morency, Smith, and Lundy are in. Taylor on the practice squad. Cook the fullback, with one of the TEs backing up Cook.
Old 08-13-2006   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I had heard Wong was trying to get back by the opener. That may be overly optimisic.
When they interviewed him on the sidelines he danced on the head of the pin about when he would be back. I doubt he thinks he will be back at the start of the season. I suspect he would have said that he was expecting to, if he really was. IMO, I would not be very surprised to see both he and DD puped/IR at the start of the season and then not be available until I think it's the 6th week of the season or something by the rule.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #4
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
When they interviewed him on the sidelines he danced on the head of the pin about when he would be back.

That's great news! If he can dance on the head of a pin, his knee must be fine!
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #5
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
That's great news! If he can dance on the head of a pin, his knee must be fine!
lol thats great!
Old 08-14-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Personally, I wasn't impressed with either Winston, or Spencer. I mean with the hype we'd been getting here, that they would be starting this year...... I don't see that happening, not unless someone gets hurt.

In theory, moving Mario inside, and putting Babin & Peek on the ends would be an awesome lineup...... explosive, and unstoppable.

In practice, I think it may slow Mario's development. Of course, this is after one preseason game.... I'd be willing to continue with this experiment, to see how it works out, but right now, I'm skeptical to say the least.

Again, this is after one preseason game, but I would like to see Weaver out on passing downs..... Mario, TJ, Payne, and Babin That would be our starting line up.
Old 08-14-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Personally, I wasn't impressed with either Winston, or Spencer. I mean with the hype we'd been getting here, that they would be starting this year...... I don't see that happening, not unless someone gets hurt.

In theory, moving Mario inside, and putting Babin & Peek on the ends would be an awesome lineup...... explosive, and unstoppable.

In practice, I think it may slow Mario's development. Of course, this is after one preseason game.... I'd be willing to continue with this experiment, to see how it works out, but right now, I'm skeptical to say the least.

Again, this is after one preseason game, but I would like to see Weaver out on passing downs..... Mario, TJ, Payne, and Babin That would be our starting line up.
I think Spencer had a nice game and it also appears his coach thought he did fairly well too. Winston wasn't really noticed, which IMO, is a good thing for a line man.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2006   #8
Spoda
Veteran

man either i was drunk ..or you were thunder...i watched spencer and he crushed that scrub he was lined up against..nearly every play he blew him up..and i remember at least twice he was all the way down field when the receiver was tackled....and he's a big man....maybe i was drunk
Old 08-14-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoda
man either i was drunk ..or you were thunder...i watched spencer and he crushed that scrub he was lined up against..nearly every play he blew him up..and i remember at least twice he was all the way down field when the receiver was tackled....and he's a big man....maybe i was drunk
I don't thing he's supposed to beat the receivers downfield, but I guess it's OK to shove your guy into the stands.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #10
Spoda
Veteran

well when i say "all the way down the field" i mean 5 yards past the line of scrimmage...we didn't exactly air it out....but he would maul his guy and look for someone else to hit...i like this guy
Old 08-14-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well when i say "all the way down the field" i mean 5 yards past the line of scrimmage...we didn't exactly air it out....but he would maul his guy and look for someone else to hit...i like this guy
I like him too! He was all over the place the few times I pin-pointed his play. He's unbeleivably quick for his size as well.
Old 08-14-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
I like him too! He was all over the place the few times I pin-pointed his play. He's unbeleivably quick for his size as well.

I agree, as a prospect, his athleticism is something else..... he's got all the tools to be a really great LT.

I'm just saying I don't believe he is ready to start in the NFL. he should definitely take a few snaps..... but I don't see him competing for a starting job anytime soon.
Old 08-14-2006   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

[quote=thunderkyss]I agree, as a prospect, his athleticism is something else..... he's got all the tools to be a really great LT.

I'm just saying I don't believe he is ready to start in the NFL. he should definitely take a few snaps..... but I don't see him competing for a starting job anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

He's has been competing for the starting position throughout TC. I think he's got a good chance of winning it too.
Old 08-14-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In one quote I see you say you only watched the highlights then you say you aren't impressed with Spencer...which one is it?

Kubiak praised Spencer pretty highly fwiw

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #15
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey no sacks and the qb really did not look like they were in danger and that has me geeked. And as far as it just being preseason the way we played last year I think it is important that we win at lease 3 of these games going in to the real season because these guys have seen nothing but losing so they need to play to win reguardless of preseason. Overall they played great and no injurys.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
In one quote I see you say you only watched the highlights then you say you aren't impressed with Spencer...which one is it?

Kubiak praised Spencer pretty highly fwiw

They're both true...... the one where I said I only watched the highlights, were the day of the game.... I'm sure I didn't even mention spencer in my posts on Saturday.

my other posts, starting last night....... I posted saying I had watched the whole game.

Kubiak's words were vague enough.... I don't know where Spencer stood with him before the game, or what Kubiak expected from him.

but I was not impressed by the kid....... sorry. I doubt Wand is in any danger of loosing his job soon.
Old 08-14-2006   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dunno, but maybe Thunder was the one who was drunk, because drunk or
sober, you're take is right on about Spencer, IMO.
Wand looked pretty descent to, but he's definitely more of a finesse guy
compared to the brute powerhouse that Spencer is.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #18
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I dunno, but maybe Thunder was the one who was drunk, because drunk or
sober, you're take is right on about Spencer, IMO.
Wand looked pretty descent to, but he's definitely more of a finesse guy
compared to the brute powerhouse that Spencer is.
IMO, from after watching the game twice, to me, Wand looks much better against the run than the pass, but that is just from what I saw watching the game and might have missed some things, tomorrow I plan to take a closer look at the game.
Old 08-14-2006   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Spencer plays like Erik Williams of the Cowboys used to play . He has the hardest hand punch (I think thats what its called ) a lot of scouts have seen and he likes to use it . He pops the DE and gets him off balance and then tries to knock him down . I slow motioned several of the plays he was in .
Old 08-14-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

but I was not impressed by the kid....... sorry. I doubt Wand is in any danger of loosing his job soon.
I can't trust your judgment then. Spencer destroyed his man on one of the TD runs...just pure dominance. He had several 'take out' blocks...he looks like the real deal to me. I'll point you to some of the plays later when I go over all the possessions.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read