Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2006   #1
DreDaMan05
Rookie

Default Defense!!!!!

The Texans finally look like a football team since a very long time, but defensively we are a lil weak in the middle. I think Seth Payne should start at DT and move Weaver to DE, maybe bring in Babin in passing situations. With Payne he can take on the double team and let Ryans roam around ex. Ray Lewis. And we must address the safety position at least SS. And on 3rd down and long just line Mario against the weakest lineman and tell him to eat him up!! tell me yall opinion!!!
DreDaMan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #2
WILLIEG
Veteran

I diffently believe Weaver would probably be better suited at DE, but since it was only one game it's unfair to make that big of a judgement call at this point.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #3
DreDaMan05
Rookie

that is a good point, but who would be a better fit for the middle??
DreDaMan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #4
AFD1717
Veteran

If Payne and TJ are playing well along with Robaire Smith that means Anthony Weaver is available to play DE more often. In that situation does it make sense to move Mario over to RDE where he can play against a LT and rush the QBs blind side? He plays LDE now because Peek and Babin aren't big enough to handle a RT and a TE, but Weaver is. Even though he is bigger than Weaver, Mario is still better coming off the edge. Just a thought.
Old 08-13-2006   #5
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDaMan05
that is a good point, but who would be a better fit for the middle??
Well I know Payne can still play, but he is getting older by the year. If A. Malon and E. Cochran keep improving during the corse of the pre-season then give one of them a roster spot and place the other on PS. R. Smith can still the postion. My DT's would be the following: Smith, Payne, Johnson, and Malone as part of the rotation. If Cochran keeps improving, put him on PS. That way you have insurance throughout the season if someone gets hurt.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #6
quicksilver
Overweight

If your goal is to get a high sack total for Mario, you can line him up at weakside DE. If you want to put your best defense on the field, you want Mario at strongside DE. It's his strength together with his speed that make him a prototypical strongside DE. To play him at weakside is to waste his strength.

If Weaver disappointed at DT, I'm inclined to see what the coaches do this next week to adjust and see what he brings in the next game.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #7
Trapped
Veteran

if we continue to get ran up the middle, i think we need to move Bear and Payne in the middle. Weaver at Strongside DE, and Williams and RE.
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2006   #8
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
If your goal is to get a high sack total for Mario, you can line him up at weakside DE. If you want to put your best defense on the field, you want Mario at strongside DE. It's his strength together with his speed that make him a prototypical strongside DE. To play him at weakside is to waste his strength.
I would argue that since Weaver is plenty strong enough to be a capable LDE, then we would be wasting Mario's quickness if we left him at LDE and put Weaver at RDE. Mario is the total package. None of our other DEs are. If we have smaller/quicker guys like Peek and Babin on the field with him then he's best on the strongside. If we have bigger/stronger guys on the field like Weaver across from him then he's best on the weakside. If our best combination of D-linemen turns out to be Weaver, Mario, and two DTs then Mario needs to our RDE.
Old 08-13-2006   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The Kansas City Chiefs have probably the best interior line in the NFL... I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that we gave up a few good gainers up the middle against those guys. That's gonna happen!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #10
quicksilver
Overweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
I would argue that since Weaver is plenty strong enough to be a capable LDE, then we would be wasting Mario's quickness if we left him at LDE and put Weaver at RDE. Mario is the total package. None of our other DEs are. If we have smaller/quicker guys like Peek and Babin on the field with him then he's best on the strongside. If we have bigger/stronger guys on the field like Weaver across from him then he's best on the weakside. If our best combination of D-linemen turns out to be Weaver, Mario, and two DTs then Mario needs to our RDE.
A good argument, AFD. You've convinced me.
Old 08-14-2006   #11
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Payne/ TJ

To me it really seems like part of the reason TJ has been stepping it up lately is because he is playing next to Payne. The youngster needs a vet to work with side by side. Also I really think they compliment each other nicely.

When OTA first started I beleive the first package they looked at was with Mario and Weaver as the two ends. Babin/Peak was a question mark at end, but for now that seems like the answer at RDE. But I am sure the combo of Weaver, TJ, Payne, Mario gets a lot of snaps as well.

Of the top 8 DL, Kalu is the one I am not sure makes the team. Even with his performance, that spot might go to Cochran or Chick or someone.
Old 08-14-2006   #12
jparrish
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
I don't really agree with you here. Mario played LDE in college, and as minor as it may seem, it feels much more natural to be on that particular side. Julius Peppers has no problem putting up good numbers over in Carolina where he plays LDE. Weaver also isn't too bad of a pass rusher himself; he was very consistant in Baltimore. After watching this game, I would like to see more of a run stuffin presence in the middle of our defense...but as they said earlier, the Chiefs have one of the best OL's in the league. If we continue to struggle up the middle, I would like to see Weaver move to DE.
jparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #13
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weaver RE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparrish
I don't really agree with you here. Mario played LDE in college, and as minor as it may seem, it feels much more natural to be on that particular side. Julius Peppers has no problem putting up good numbers over in Carolina where he plays LDE. Weaver also isn't too bad of a pass rusher himself; he was very consistant in Baltimore. After watching this game, I would like to see more of a run stuffin presence in the middle of our defense...but as they said earlier, the Chiefs have one of the best OL's in the league. If we continue to struggle up the middle, I would like to see Weaver move to DE.
So, keep Mario on the L side but move Weaver to DE? Are you implying that Weaver needs to be the RE? There is no way he has the quickness for that spot. In Baltimore he was always on the Left. It has to be one way or the other, either Weaver stays at tackle or Mario plays some on the right side.
Old 08-14-2006   #14
jparrish
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
It has to be one way or the other, either Weaver stays at tackle or Mario plays some on the right side.
Says who?
jparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #15
quicksilver
Overweight

It absolutely can be situational. When we play a team that is especially strong up the middle, like KC, we can move Weaver out to strongside DE and let the big boys plug the inside. But when we play teams more finesse oriented, Weaver stays inside.

Flexibility is a beautiful thing.
Old 08-14-2006   #16
cj5776
Veteran

Default sorry

sorry I was just trying to understand your comment. I have no problem with flexibility. It just sounded like you wanted both Mario and Weaver to play the left side. Which I agree. But I think they both should be on the feild at the same time a lot. So one has to play either a little bit of tackle or the right side, which is the weak side.
Old 08-14-2006   #17
Big J
Rookie

Default Chiefs not that good anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue
Agreed!
The Chiefs line is one of the most solid in the league IMO.
Was one of the most solid lines in the league. Losing Roaf is really going to impact their success. But their gaurds are still solid.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #18
Trapped
Veteran

U know all pro rg Brian Waters didn't play right. Will Shields and Wiegmann are all pro too though.
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #19
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparrish
I think you are misunderstanding me. I agree that Mario's natural position is on the strongside. When Weaver plays DE, his natural position is on the strong side too. Since there will be situations when both Mario and Weaver will be on the field as DEs at the same time, one of them obviously will have to play the weakside. I'm just saying that in those situations Mario will be better on the weakside. If you are suggesting that we would leave Mario on the strongside and move Weaver to the weakside when they both play DE at the same time - then we disagree. Just wanted to make sure you understood what I was saying.
Old 08-14-2006   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My evaluation of the game.

Let me know if I left something out and please feel free to discuss.

Coaching - I give an A because of the fact that Kubiak and company had a team that didn't look like it ever had a clue looking like a team that does have a clue in a brand new system. Also the call on the onside kick showed how they keep their head in the game. I believe it was Richard Smith who saw it and used his previous coaching experience as a ST coach to make the call.

QBs- David Carr had a solid outing. Yes the numbers were low but he didn't play long. I didn't like the almost interception but I tend to think Patrick Surtain can make those plays. However, Carr looked like he knew what he was doing on every play. I noticed the improvement on the ability to step up in the pocket.
Rosenfels looked very good and I believe his performance will push Carr all season. If we have to resort to Rosenfels later, I won't feel scared.
Porter looked pretty good. I saw alot of 3rd stringers over the weekend and he had a solid performance. Overall I would say B+

Running Back-Rookies looked good and showed what this offense is really about. I was a little nervous when Smith couldn't get the 3 and 1 but when I found out it was due to blown assignments I feel better. Lundi did everything Bush did in his debut plus scored a TD. And we are paying a whole lot less for that. Chris Taylor is going to be a nice off the bench guy. All I can say is Morency better tear it up this week.B

Offensive LineA couple of blown assignments in the running game. Other than that our QBs looked comfortable in the pocket and once they got the cob webs out the running game did look solid. I kept a good eye on Bennie Joppru while he stayed to block and he did well. Spencer is going to be a star here and possibly soon. If anyone knows how Winston did please let me know. I didn't hear anything so no news is good news.A-

WRI wonder if people feel like Moulds was a waste today? Andre would've had a TD if not for a great play by the LB from KC. Dude, get used to the TEs. Because of the TE B

DlineI hope Mario shows up. Some need to let me know what I am missing out of this but I was kind of disappointed. Weaver didn't do what he came here to do, and Williams had all my friends laughing at me for picking him today. I thought Travis showed up. IMO, he was the bright spot. C+ but that is because the scrubs did good in the second half.

LBI guess Demeco is the MLB, SLB, and WLB because noone else was there doing anything. C

DBsThis was good considering how dinged up we are. I like the addition of Mccleon and how we used his speed for blitzes. I also thought Sanders did well. Refs didn't give him the stop. Other than that nothing special but very commendable. B-

ST - Kris Brown better get it together and I like the fact the rookie RBs can be utilized in this way. Evans is still the man. C+

What do you think?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read