Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2006   #1
cmiller007
waterboy

Default Linebackers?

When Wong and Cowart get healthy, who will be our starting three? John McClain said he thought Barrett Green (?) would end up starting opposite Orr. I watched the whole game and don't recall much about Green, anyone else? Glad to see Orr do well, not much news about him coming out of training camp.
cmiller007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #2
WILLIEG
Veteran

I don't know who will be playing opposite Orr as of right now, but 2 players that should be getting looked at more closely are C. Anderson and K. Pettway. This 2 guys seem to close really well and fight off blocks. I think Anderson would be better suited as the "Willie" and Pettway as the "Sam".
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIEG
I don't know who will be playing opposite Orr as of right now, but 2 players that should be getting looked at more closely are C. Anderson and K. Pettway. This 2 guys seem to close really well and fight off blocks. I think Anderson would be better suited as the "Willie" and Pettway as the "Sam".

No way on both of these guys. Both are struggling just to make the roster.

What happened with Greenwood? One minute he's listed as the starter and the next he's playing special teams and on defense with the 3rd string.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #4
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food

What happened with Greenwood? One minute he's listed as the starter and the next he's playing special teams and on defense with the 3rd string.
That's funny you said both those guys are struggling, because Gk just came out today and made it clear that one of the biggest battles were going to be the Strong and Weal OLB postion. And he further stated that C. Anderson is right up there making a push for the spot. As far as Pettway, i like the kids toughness and think that he has more to show thr coaching staff if given the oppurtunity.
Old 08-13-2006   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller007
When Wong and Cowart get healthy, who will be our starting three? John McClain said he thought Barrett Green (?) would end up starting opposite Orr. I watched the whole game and don't recall much about Green, anyone else? Glad to see Orr do well, not much news about him coming out of training camp.
When are they supposed to come back anyway?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #6
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default weak side, Will, LB

has anybody else heard anything about Anderson playing the Weakside, Will LB? I thought he was a Sam, strongside.

As far a I know the weak side calls for more speed since there are less blockers to disengage with. The only Will LBs I thought were getting playing time were Green and Greenwood. Greenwood, I thought I heard, was trade bait at one point. Green up until last year was very solid, surgey before the year held him back and more injuries landed him on the IR. But now it looks like he is ahead of Greenwood, or maybe just getting playtime for observations.
Old 08-14-2006   #7
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food

Hey, Wonger! Thought you said nether one of those players (C, Anderson/K. Pettway) had achance of making the team. Did you look at GK's quotes on the OLB's that are starting for the roster spot? Looks like there seeing exactly what i'm seeinfg out of those two guys. Keep a lookout for those two in our next pre-season game and let me know if you still feel the same way.
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2006   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
When are they supposed to come back anyway?
EDO wrote on another thread that Wong will probably go on the PUP. Which would mean IIRC, that he wouldn't be available untill mid October. Figguring after CnnnD's post yesterday that is where DD is destinded for also. If I heard correctly..on the 610 show yesterday, coach K said that HE (DD) would help the team, when he was available, whether that was week three or week six. I'm reading that as the PUP list. Parapharsing there, so I sit to be corrected. This is not all bad though. They need some space to protect Duck with Mango salaza. No ones has said that. I'm just extrapolating. Rick Smith is going to earn his money the next three weeks. Gonna be fun.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #9
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Personally, I think we could really use one more middle/sam linebacker type, It would do 2 things, give us insurance till wong and cowart are both 100 % and free up wong or ryans to move outside if needed. has Kubes mentioned anything about looking for more LB help? they kinda worry me with all the trouble we had with runs up the middle last year, and we didnt look that much better saturday.
Old 08-15-2006   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think one of the 2 could make the roster. Maybe the ps.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
has anybody else heard anything about Anderson playing the Weakside, Will LB? I thought he was a Sam, strongside.

As far a I know the weak side calls for more speed since there are less blockers to disengage with. The only Will LBs I thought were getting playing time were Green and Greenwood. Greenwood, I thought I heard, was trade bait at one point. Green up until last year was very solid, surgey before the year held him back and more injuries landed him on the IR. But now it looks like he is ahead of Greenwood, or maybe just getting playtime for observations.
I wish, I haven't been impressed with picking him up at all. On top of that we're paying him way more than what he's worth. Which in turn will probably steer any trade possibilities away. According to coach K, Green is "nicked up" quite often and never really has a chance to show what he can do. I think we eventually need to pick up at least one if not two LBs. Whether it be this season or next. DeMecco is going to be a solid Mike, and I'd rather not have a second tier LB on either side of him.
Old 08-15-2006   #12
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
I wish, I haven't been impressed with picking him up at all. On top of that we're paying him way more than what he's worth. Which in turn will probably steer any trade possibilities away. According to coach K, Green is "nicked up" quite often and never really has a chance to show what he can do. I think we eventually need to pick up at least one if not two LBs. Whether it be this season or next. DeMecco is going to be a solid Mike, and I'd rather not have a second tier LB on either side of him.
With all the hoopla of Cowart being a tough run stopping MLB, does it make sense to put deMeco on the weakside for his speed and Cowart in the middle to start? Then you have Orr/Anderson battling for strong side. Either way, you have Anderson/Orr as backups, along with Moron.

We did look pretty soft on the up the gut runs last week. I'd like to see this combo in week 2 of preseason.
Old 08-15-2006   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
With all the hoopla of Cowart being a tough run stopping MLB, does it make sense to put deMeco on the weakside for his speed and Cowart in the middle to start? Then you have Orr/Anderson battling for strong side. Either way, you have Anderson/Orr as backups, along with Moron.

We did look pretty soft on the up the gut runs last week. I'd like to see this combo in week 2 of preseason.
Personally, hoopla, is all it is to me right now. From what I saw Saturday, Ryans was far more dominating than Cowart was. I think we should leave Ryans at the Mike and let him develope throughout the pre-season. As of now I do not see anyone better than him at the position. Orr at the Sam and someone needs to step it up at the Will position.
Old 08-15-2006   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I believe we need to get our 3 best linebackers on the field.

If that means we need to move Ryans to the outside because Cowart is one of the 3 best linebackers on the team, then so be it.
Old 08-15-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they are grooming Ryans at the Mike. He's got the speed to cover the field, and from what I've read, the coaches believe he's got the brains for the position.

I haven't heard much about Greenwood. Anyone got an update?
Old 08-15-2006   #16
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if injuries has anything to do with it but I guess Cowart is not as good any of the other top 4. I am surprised Cowart is not involved in the battle for either Sam between Orr and Anderson or the Will between Green and Greenwood

Even though Cowart does not have the speed for the will spot, I like the idea of moving Orr to will and haveingCowart compete with Anderson for the will spot.
Old 08-15-2006   #17
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I think they are grooming Ryans at the Mike. He's got the speed to cover the field, and from what I've read, the coaches believe he's got the brains for the position.

I haven't heard much about Greenwood. Anyone got an update?
Ryans is going to be a realy good "Mike" LB. He has all the tools to become one with his quick first step and instincts that All MLB need to excel in this game. The only thing he needs is more playing time at that postion and work to get a little stronger and bigger. I think he should be weighting at least close to 250 lbs. As far as the weak side, that is one of our weakest postions and typicall the guy needs to have some speed. Our strong side should be just fine with Orr, Anderson, and Pettway competeing for a spot. I believe there is something wrong with Orr ever since the last game whenever he was hurt in the game and know it's becoming as problem. With that said, I believe that is going to open the window to see if Pettway came step up his game. From what GK stated early about him, he will diffentley get a chance and I believe he is a little stronger that Anderson in fighting off blocks.
Old 08-15-2006   #18
AFD1717
Veteran

Was Richard Smith in Miami at the same time Greenwood was there? I agree that Greenwood has been a disappointment since coming here, but he was pretty good with them, right? Is it logical to assume that since he is back with his boy R.S. in a system that he did well in before that he would do well again?

I may be wrong about either of them even being from Miami. If I am, nevermind. Just trying to look on the bright side.
Old 08-15-2006   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
Was Richard Smith in Miami at the same time Greenwood was there?
No. Smith was only in Miami last year and Greenwood was already here.
Old 08-16-2006   #20
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
Was Richard Smith in Miami at the same time Greenwood was there? I agree that Greenwood has been a disappointment since coming here, but he was pretty good with them, right? Is it logical to assume that since he is back with his boy R.S. in a system that he did well in before that he would do well again?

I may be wrong about either of them even being from Miami. If I am, nevermind. Just trying to look on the bright side.
Greenwood had a reputation of getting a lot of tackles because of the impact of Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, etc. This is the information I got from Miami fans,friends of mine when we signed him.

They warned that he never generated a turnover in all his time there and is not a playmaker on defense... very few sacks, no int's and no ff.

Seems to be spot on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read