Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Upon Further Review: A few things I noticed

1. CARR TALKS KUBIAK INTO GOING FOR IT ON 4th DOWN?

On the 4th and 1 when we sent out a punt unit, I saw Carr say something to Kubiak on the sideline as Kubiak walked by him. We take a timeout and then the offense goes out and picks up a first down, later resulting in a TD at the end of the series. In my opinion, and this is only speculation, it appeared that perhaps Carr was talking Kubiak into going for it on fourth down.

2. SAGE NOT AS GOOD AS THE GAME WORE ON.

As I look over the second-half footage of Sage...I see a lot of balls thrown at the shoelaces, or overthrown, and one ball tipped. He did not appear to be as crisp as he was in the first half. Not sure if that's due to some of the third-stringers get thrown in there or what.

3. WHERE'S THE FLAG, REF?

The fumbled fair catch by Anderson should have been called for interference by a Chiefs defender who was so very easily into the grill of the Anderson. Doesn't negate the fumble, he should have brought it in, but the rule is in place to prevent defenders from face-guarding and obstructing the catching motion of the return man. Bad "no call," in my opinion.

4. DEPTH AT RUNNING BACK IS SCARING ME.

While I am excited about Lundy...we have problems with Smith who seemingly finds a pile and buries his facemask into it. And then there is Taylor who is definitely a speedy runner, but for some reason was unable to find the cutback lanes consistently with the exception of a few good runs that I admit he had. If this guy masters the zone blocking scheme, he's a lock on the roster. Rhodes scores a TD, but I'd like to have seen him more in other down situations other than up against a deflated Chiefs defense. Right now, I do not see Smith making this roster. He's purely a safety option if we lose a guy or two during preseason. Fresher legs are ahead of him on the roster, IMO.

5. OWEN DANIELS WAS A GREAT DRAFT PICK.

Daniels. Wow. Sure hands, good route running, what else can you ask for? I think Breuner gets cut due to age and the fact that we have three fairly talented younger guys at TE. I see Putzier, Daniels, and Joppru make the roster since Kubiak's system likes multiple TEs on some plays. of course, that could change if you-know-what happens. So hopefully it won't. I know it's the first preseason game, but this was a very successful audition for Daniels.

6. REDEMPTION IS AT HAND!

Lundy dropped a pass from Sage on a 2nd and 7 (I think), but he redeemed himself by throwing a monster block on the next play against a blitzing Chiefs defender, tumbling backwards and causing the defender to also fall to the ground with him--Result: He protected the QB. Lundy did a nice job with the blocking mechanics in that situation. I saw Taylor miss a block in a similar situation.

7. WIDE RECEIVER ANALYSIS.

Walter made those clutch, possession-type catches we thought he would make. Armstrong was clutch AGAIN. How does the guy not make the team? Lewis flirted with disaster on kick returns, but then again so did Anderson. However, I saw a lot of potential in Anderson as our return guy--very shifty, and very quick when he makes a decision of where to go.

8. THREE SOLID QBs. THAT'S VERY REFRESHING.

Carr looked good. Sage looked OK. Porter looked good albeit against the leftovers in garbage time. Without starting a Carr-Rosenfels death match here, I'd like to say that we ought to be pleasantly relieved that our backup QBs look more impressive than the Chiefs. I can see why Sage said he was happy to be in Kubiak's system, because the guy looked the best I have ever seen out of him. Nice to see us with a rotation of three solid QBs. Would like to see Pickett a little.

9. DEFENSE WAS SWARMING.

We heard that it would "swarm," and I saw lots of delayed blitzes where it forced the Chiefs QB to maybe rush a pass. Although we do not have household names at LB, Demeco rocked LJ's jock on one play where Demco flew around a corner and just stopped LJ in his tracks--That never happened last season when we played the CHiefs did it? I was impressed with those things that are called "sacks" and "forced turnovers," which I forgot we were capable of producing (much less in the same game). Sanders broke up a deep pass, and he made a good stop when a WR caught the ball: He didn't try and force the play and go for an interception...he just played containment and made sure he stopped the WR from getting YAC. Mario was doubled, or the plays were run away from him. At times, Mario could have spun on Turley--And he did the next time after being stonewalled by Turley earlier--and the other linemen were reaping tackles and stops because of the attention on Mario. TJ at the beginning looked as if he were always coming into the TV screen at the end of a play. One play I saw TJ and Payne unable to even penetrate the lie of scrimmage while other Texans linemen were able to pressure the QB, and I was a little confused on how that happened...they just didn't get off the ball and get good hand technique on that play, IMO. BUT...TJ revved it up later on and I was glad to see him get some pressure on the QB. He might be turning the corner.

10. OVERALL IMPRESSION: PRETTY SATISFIED.

Have you EVER seen a Texans preseason game like that one? Nope. Didn't think so. Last preseason, I would watch a little of the Cowboys' preseason games, and I have to admit that I was very jealous of that team. They looked like a real NFL team, they scored and looked good. We didn' at that same time last year. And now, it felt good to know the rest of the nation was seeing Texans 24 Chiefs 14, and they had to be thinking "A whole new Texans team, eh?" That's a great feeling.

Last edited by GP; 08-13-2006 at 03:52 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #2
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
6. REDEMPTION IS AT HAND!

Lundy dropped a pass from Sage on a 2nd and 7 (I think), but he redeemed himself by throwing a monster block on the next play against a blitzing Chiefs defender, tumbling backwards and causing the defender to also fall to the ground with him--Result: He protected the QB. Lundy did a nice job with the blocking mechanics in that situation. I saw Taylor miss a block in a similar situation.
Tell me you're kidding.
Old 08-13-2006   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be worried about RB depth. We still haven't seen Morency play in this new system and Rhodes was given limited carries.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #4
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
2. SAGE NOT AS GOOD AS THE GAME WORE ON.

As I look over the second-half footage of Sage...I see a lot of balls thrown at the shoelaces, or overthrown, and one ball tipped. He did not appear to be as crisp as he was in the first half. Not sure if that's due to some of the third-stringers get thrown in there or what.

3. WHERE'S THE FLAG, REF?

The fumbled fair catch by Anderson should have been called for interference by a Chiefs defender who was so very easily into the grill of the Anderson. Doesn't negate the fumble, he should have brought it in, but the rule is in place to prevent defenders from face-guarding and obstructing the catching motion of the return man. Bad "no call," in my opinion.
2 things I definately noticed. Props on the observation, most of these are overlooked by the average veiwer.
Old 08-13-2006   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Tell me you're kidding.
Nope. As much as I love Domanick Davis as a running back, I think that's a block that DD misses. Lundy has the same look about him as DD...but I think Lundy is going to be our 2nd back behind Morency. Actually, I prefer Lubdy over DD at this point with the speed I see from Lundy. Heck, if Taylor masters the zone blocking system...he looks decisively quicker than Lundy.

Watch the film. Lundy drops the pass. Most rooks, or veterans for that matter, would still be beating themselves up over it on the next play...but Lundy forgot about it and protected Sage on the next play on what I think would have been a missed block by DD or Taylor.

That's my observation. My two cents.
Old 08-13-2006   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I wouldn't be worried about RB depth. We still haven't seen Morency play in this new system and Rhodes was given limited carries.
True. I noted that I would like to see more of Rhodes.

If we get out of preseason with Morency, Lundy, Taylor and Rhodes...then I am happy. Heck, I say play those guys one more game and then let Smith play the last two games the whole time as the only back. Then cut him if we have those other guys healthy. Not trying to purely bash Smith...but he did not impress me very much (which I expected).

I think Morency and Lundy are set. I think Taylor needs another game, as does Rhodes. But after that...GET THOSE GUYS ON THE BENCH QUICK. I saw what I needed to see: That we can win a meaningless game, and win it decisively. I want all our guys fresh and healthy.
Old 08-13-2006   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
True. I noted that I would like to see more of Rhodes.

If we get out of preseason with Morency, Lundy, Taylor and Rhodes...then I am happy. Heck, I say play those guys one more game and then let Smith play the last two games the whole time as the only back. Then cut him if we have those other guys healthy. Not trying to purely bash Smith...but he did not impress me very much (which I expected).

I think Morency and Lundy are set. I think Taylor needs another game, as does Rhodes. But after that...GET THOSE GUYS ON THE BENCH QUICK. I saw what I needed to see: That we can win a meaningless game, and win it decisively. I want all our guys fresh and healthy.
I am a little worried about the whole Davis situation. If he is healthy, then great we can always use a back like him, if he isn't then we should either put him on IR until he is healthy or if we have to, get rid of him. The last thing I want is for us to adopt a wait and see approach with him and unncessarily getting rid of one of our potentially good rookies.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2006   #8
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:

Have you EVER seen a Texans preseason game like that one? Nope. Didn't think so. Last preseason, I would watch a little of the Cowboys' preseason games, and I have to admit that I was very jealous of that team. They looked like a real NFL team, they scored and looked good. We didn' at that same time last year. And now, it felt good to know the rest of the nation was seeing Texans 24 Chiefs 14, and they had to be thinking "A whole new Texans team, eh?" That's a great feeling.
Yeah, I think the reason is that because coaching staff and management is concentrating on building a team rather than hoping one player comes in as our savior. Remember the year we drafted Carr? What about DD's breakout season? Bush would have been the same type of distraction. It's almost good that Mario is starting slowly. While he's busy learning technique our other players will be able to show their stuff. In the end that's what is going to take: A TEAM EFFORT. That's the way New England did it. That's the way the Pittsburgh did it. Team! Not just idividual talent.

Just some comments about some of our new guys. Here's my list of players that caught my attention...

RB: Lundy and Rhodes (more Chris Taylor and Morency)
OL: Mike Flanagan and Charles Spencer
MLB: DeMeco Ryans
DE: Kalu and Mario
TE: Putzier, and Joppru (I want to see more of Daniels)
WR: Moulds, Armstrong, and Andre Johnson (IN THAT ORDER!) I already know what Johnson can do. We need some crafty speed to complement Andre.
QB: Carr and Sage Rosenfels (solid back-up). I'll want to see more of Porter and Baker

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!

Last edited by Smash_Mouth_Mario; 08-13-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I am a little worried about the whole Davis situation. If he is healthy, then great we can always use a back like him, if he isn't then we should either put him on IR until he is healthy or if we have to, get rid of him. The last thing I want is for us to adopt a wait and see approach with him and unncessarily getting rid of one of our potentially good rookies.
That's a pretty valid point you have.

You know, I am not even certain that DD has enough break-away speed to contend with Morency, Lundy, and Taylor (and maybe ven Rhodes). Perhaps DD was good for the Capers' era "Mini Zone Blocking" scheme, but Kubiak has gone out and found faster versions of Domanick Davis: Version 2.0.

I know DD reads the cutback lanes very well. And he catches the ball better than I saw our backs catching it last night.

Anyways, I see what you're saying. Sucks to be a Texans' decision maker and know that you've got some tough decisions to make about running back roster spots.

Does anyone know how many roster spots Denver typically utilizes for running backs? Seems like they have 16 or 17 running backs all the time (sarcasm).
Old 08-13-2006   #10
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:

You know, I am not even certain that DD has enough break-away speed to contend with Morency, Lundy, and Taylor (and maybe ven Rhodes). Perhaps DD was good for the Capers' era "Mini Zone Blocking" scheme, but Kubiak has gone out and found faster versions of Domanick Davis: Version 2.0.

I know DD reads the cutback lanes very well. And he catches the ball better than I saw our backs catching it last night.
Yep. DD has great cut-back technique and can spot the gaps. He has decent power. But not great speed in the open field (low center of gravity, but short legs). They guy is only 5'9".

Lundy has better power and can hit the gaps just like DD. But has better open field speed and more power to take the hit for extra yards (he's a load at 5'11" 215lbs and has speed).

I'm glad. Because this will give DD more time to heal. Having a healthy DD will be very important later.

Last edited by Smash_Mouth_Mario; 08-13-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2006   #11
TexansJunkE
Veteran

Quote:
1. CARR TALKS KUBIAK INTO GOING FOR IT ON 4th DOWN?

On the 4th and 1 when we sent out a punt unit, I saw Carr say something to Kubiak on the sideline as Kubiak walked by him. We take a timeout and then the offense goes out and picks up a first down, later resulting in a TD at the end of the series. In my opinion, and this is only speculation, it appeared that perhaps Carr was talking Kubiak into going for it on fourth down..
I'm glad you brought this up, IMHO I think Kubes was setting up Carr to be a leader and tell him and the team we can get it. I was thinking he was hoping Carr would say something .
Old 08-13-2006   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not be surprised to see both DD and Wong on the PUP/IR thing at the start of the season. That would allow them to heal until IIRC about week 6 and then we have until week 9 to make a decision on them. Might be the best thing for them and the team to give them the max time to heal before we make a final decision.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The most important thing I noted upon further review, was there was very little blitzing in the first half, and we still got good pressure on the QB..... we started adding the fifth guy in the second half, and we saw what that will lead to. 3 & outs, bad QB decisions, and a short football field.

Now....... as far as David Carr being a lock for our starting QB spot, it should be the same for our runningback spot. DD is our starter, until he proves that he shouldn't be. & all this talk, about anyone other than DD being the center of our running game, is treacherous IMHO.... DD is the man.

Sage playing worse, as time went on....... in his defense, he had guys on his Oline, that I didn't even know was on our team the further the game went on. & Spencer & Winston IMHO showed serious drop offs in play from our starters, even going against lesser talent. Neither IMHO is ready to start.

But the mistakes Sage made, are more along the lines of the mistakes I thought we'd be seeing Carr work out.... & I was impressed by Sage's command of the Offense. Including the two audibles that lead directly to a touchdown drive.

Not to make this a Sage vs David thing(because I don't see it that way) but Sage looked like a veteran in a new system. Nothing to prove, just trying to learn his job, and his team.

I also thought Babin showed good power, bullrushing his man straight towards the QB on several occasions, and Peek impressed with his speed, and his moves. To me, he also looked a lot bigger than he did last year.

Other than Mario, TJ was the only guy that warranted a double team........ I dare say he was doubled on every down he played.. put him and Mario in the game together......

& I would not be worried one bit, if we have to start Lewis Sanders opposite Dunta.
Old 08-13-2006   #14
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I can't believe after 3 solid years at RB people are saying get rid of DD. Yes he has an injury history, but I can't imagine ANY of these other players being more productive than a healthy DD. Its just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I can't believe after 3 solid years at RB people are saying get rid of DD. Yes he has an injury history, but I can't imagine ANY of these other players being more productive than a healthy DD. Its just my opinion.

It also puzzles me when they say..... put Peyton Manning behind our line, and he'd have done just as poorly.........

imagine putting Edgerin James behind our line....... or even LT.... we'd be lucky if they could stay as healthy as DD.

another thing that I noticed about our game.......

Kubiak emptied the backfield(motioned the tail back as a wide out) a lot more(3 times I think) than I thought he would........
Old 08-13-2006   #16
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Other than Mario, TJ was the only guy that warranted a double team........ I dare say he was doubled on every down he played.. put him and Mario in the game together......
interesting.

I didn't pay as close attention to the d-line as i wanted to.

as a Texans fan, I hope TJ has a huge year.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #17
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Finally a thread with solid content!!! Some random thoughts, Picket not Baker is the QB who did not play, Baker was cut

I did not see the game, how did WLB Baret Green do? Is he really ahead of Greenwood? (Sorry if I screwed up the names)

Why Putzier, he had no catches? Bruener probably makes the team since the other 3 are not even close to his level of blocking. Armstrong does not do much on special teams, so he is boderline. But DLewis did not look that great.

5 total rbs. I am thinking only one FB is needed, so the other 4 would be DD, Morenecy, Smith, and Lundy. Smith is decent just not flashy. Give him more time to get into shape, I think he is a player Kubes only wants to practice once a day. Rhodes and Taylor will fight for a ps spot.
Old 08-13-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
I did not see the game, how did WLB Baret Green do? Is he really ahead of Greenwood? (Sorry if I screwed up the names)
overall, our LBs were almost non-existent..... Shante Orr did breakup a pass, there was a lot of Ryans running around.....

BaretGreen will probably make the ESPN highlights...... on TomJackson's Jacked up.... he got lit....... by some 5'8" midget.

Green was pursuing LJ (I think) and he was going to get him, for a short gain. Then out of nowhere........ bam....... de-cleated.........
Old 08-13-2006   #19
moonnumack
waterboy

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss DD. Yes, he's hurt right now, which has given the other backs a chance to shine. But, he's also the most-proven out of all our backs. His style seems to fit the Kubiak system at he is pretty good at making a cut and getting positive yardage out of most carries. He may not have breakaway speed, but none of the successful Denver RBs really did (except Portis), and I don't think the running game is predicated on that. Give him a chance to get healthy and show what he can do.
moonnumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #20
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonnumack
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss DD. Yes, he's hurt right now, which has given the other backs a chance to shine. But, he's also the most-proven out of all our backs. His style seems to fit the Kubiak system at he is pretty good at making a cut and getting positive yardage out of most carries. He may not have breakaway speed, but none of the successful Denver RBs really did (except Portis), and I don't think the running game is predicated on that. Give him a chance to get healthy and show what he can do.
I just want DD to take this time to heal. For real!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read