Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-13-2006   #1
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent
Default Vince Young Fans... Very quiet.

Obviously after seeing Reggie Bush's nice run, the RB fans went wild and pointed the fingers at the Texans for their foolishness for not drafting Bush. However, there were a large amount of folks here who wanted VY...some saying that they would even give up their season tickets if we didn't draft him.

The Texans looked terrific in the opener and that is the most important thing.

But after watching Young's debut, I am THRILLED that the Texans made the absolute right choice not taking him.

I mentioned in previous posts the problems with Young and they all surfaced last night in spades....

His arm strength is NOT what people make it to be.
He cannot throw precise passes.
He cannot throw in the pocket.
He drops down with his arm ridiculously low...this won't go away soon.
He shows and showed VERY poor vision and decision making.

Last night he held on to the ball ridiculously long. The NFL network guys actually praised him for doing so and even showed a highlight of him waltzing around looking for a receiver. They lauded his ability to move in the pocket and find an open guy and said that he would have to do that because the Titan offensive line was bad. Well, on the play in question, he was in the pocket for four seconds. In the NFL, that ball needs to be out. He read the laces on the ball and then went on his scramble fest. There were two offensive holding penalties on the play BECAUSE of his scrambling.

He showed very poor judgement and even a large dose of awkwardness when he scrambled to his left and got injured. That was hideous.

I think so many people thought of the "upside" and "potential" of Young that they ignored his limitations...which are plenty. I said it before and I'll say it again. He did not throw a single NFL pass in the National Championship game and the plays he made in that game will not happen in the NFL. He scrambled out of the pocket the one time and the NFL network (which is quickly resembling the rah rah rooting tendencies of ESPN) showed his three yard run seventeen times.

At the very least, there can be no VY fan today saying that they were impressed by anything that they saw last night.

What does a National Championship game against USC mean translated into the NFL? 4-for-11 and 56 yards. Like the Championship game, Young showed his ability to avoid interceptions as two Saints were unable to come up with the crooked rainbow VY floated into the end zone.
coachdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #2
KKHouston
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdent

His arm strength is NOT what people make it to be.
He cannot throw precise passes.
He cannot throw in the pocket.
He drops down with his arm ridiculously low...this won't go away soon.
He shows and showed VERY poor vision and decision making.
Bravo!

He's just another Michael Vick.

Old 08-13-2006   #3
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

...............This will be good.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Folks let's keep all the he could have been a Texan but isn't threads in the NFL forum rather than the Bull Pen because THEY AIN'T TEXANS.

That said--c'mon. Everyone except Rich Lord knew VY would need some adjustment time. He is going to be much better than Michael Vick (not a high hurdle IMO)--give the boy some time--he is from Texas after all. There are only two days a year when anyone in Texas should be rooting for a bad VY day.
Old 08-13-2006   #5
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

I'm gonna give a wedgie to the first person that types the word .... wonderlic
Old 08-13-2006   #6
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
...............This will be good.

ditto
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #7
KKHouston
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Folks let's keep all the he could have been a Texan but isn't threads in the NFL forum rather than the Bull Pen because THEY AIN'T TEXANS.

That said--c'mon. Everyone except Rich Lord knew VY would need some adjustment time. He is going to be much better than Michael Vick (not a high hurdle IMO)--give the boy some time--he is from Texas after all. There are only two days a year when anyone in Texas should be rooting for a bad VY day.
Duly chastized and noted. Vince is from Texas... and I do like him as a player. Just sick of the "Vince for President" committee. 3 days a year... 2 regular season, and 1 post season game against us. (wildcard?)
Old 08-13-2006   #8
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

He is going to get some cheers when he makes a play at Reliant. Even though I liked him at UT there will be no cheering for him coming from me. I'll save my cheers for when Dunta picks him off and takes the ball the other way for six.
Old 08-13-2006   #9
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 16 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

He looked very rookie last night, but that was expected -- he had a big 50 yard pass dropped and made some wild throws. No fumbles or interceptions though so that's positive. He did lead them down for a couple of drives for field goals, but was anxious in the red zone.

Reggie looked game ready - impressive.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #10
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching the media play up the VY fiasco during the game last night (DVR rules). They had to interview a couple tack lovers, wearing the distinctive #10 in barfy blue. Last time I checked, we were playing the Chiefs and them tacks were chasing the Saintly buzz word. No need to start the crap again.

The media potstirring is BS. Go chase ambulances and not looked over draft pics.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #11
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

VY's play was about right for a rookie QB with 2 weeks of training camp.

Old 08-13-2006   #12
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

^^^exactly...meanwhile our backup QB looked better than David Carr last night.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #13
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Mario Williams' stat line from yesterday: 1 assisted tackle, 0 sacks

Apparently Williams is on his way to a busted career as well.

Or is it just a stupid idea to judge a rookie the first time they see the field?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i wish like hell i had seen the titans saints game last night....but i didn't, nor any highlights. I just think its funny that vince young is described as "playing like a rookie" while DC was described as having "jitters"......Young has a bomb DROPPED and its barely mentioned....David throws a bomb and its broken up by a defender who had a legitimate read on the ball and everyone wants to applaud it as a great throw. I guess Carr has never had a bad game to some fans

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #15
Honch Delgado
Veteran

Didn't have access to either the Texans or Titans games so can't make any first hand comments but from reading the Titans board, receivers dropped a couple of VY passes and the O-line was called for various penalties and had trouble blocking. Sound familiar?
Old 08-13-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
i wish like hell i had seen the titans saints game last night....but i didn't, nor any highlights. I just think its funny that vince young is described as "playing like a rookie" while DC was described as having "jitters"......Young has a bomb DROPPED and its barely mentioned....David throws a bomb and its broken up by a defender who had a legitimate read on the ball and everyone wants to applaud it as a great throw. I guess Carr has never had a bad game to some fans
I take it you are talking about the ball that was tipped by the linebacker. I think you might want to find that play and see it in slowmotion again.
it was a good throw but an even better knockdown
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #17
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was at the Titans game last night and Vince looked good like 75% of the time.

Looked good: Had a 50 yard beautiful pass right in a guys hands that was completely just dropped. Made a 15 yard scramble to get in field goal range at the end of the 1st half. Made some bullet throws (one which was dropped as well)

Looked not-so-good: Needs to decide when to throw the ball away, for example he scrambled and got a 3 yard loss instead of throwing it away. Made some really unadvised throws that looked bad.

He didn't force any turnovers so that's good.

Reggie looked like a man. Pac-Man played like an All-Pro.
Old 08-13-2006   #18
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Mario Williams' stat line from yesterday: 1 assisted tackle, 0 sacks

Apparently Williams is on his way to a busted career as well.

Or is it just a stupid idea to judge a rookie the first time they see the field?
Exactly. Judging anyone from their very first preseason game is pretty idiotic.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #19
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Apparently coachdent is the kind of guy that farts in a room on his way out. Leave something rank for everybody else to deal with while he avoids it.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #20
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think a coach could be more candid. That's some scary stuff there.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read