Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN: recap of game

Quote:
HOUSTON (AP) -- If the Houston Texans hope to justify spending their No. 1 pick on Mario Williams, he'll have to contribute more than he did Saturday night.

Williams assisted on one tackle in a quarter of play in Houston's 24-14 preseason win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Shuffled all around the defensive line, Williams looked tentative at times and was stood up on a couple of plays.

"I kind of got too excited and that made me get a little tired," Williams said. "But I was not nervous at all."

He finally registered his first stat late in the first, when he joined second-round pick DeMeco Ryans to stop Larry Johnson for a 3-yard gain.

In his 11 plays, Williams mostly lined up against Chiefs left tackle Kyle Turley, who was playing in first game since 2003 because of back problems. Turley was thrust into the starting lineup when 11-time Pro Bowler Willie Roaf unexpectedly retired the night before training camp.

"I have a lot to learn," Williams said. "I was moving up and down the ball. I'm used to just coming off the edge and it's a lot different here."

While Williams' debut was forgettable, another Houston rookie -- sixth-round draft pick Wali Lundy -- had a head-turning first outing.

With Domanick Davis out recovering from a lingering knee injury, the Texans started 10-year veteran Antowain Smith. Smith was ineffective early and the Texans turned to Lundy, who ran for 25 yards on his first carry and waltzed into the end zone untouched for Houston's first touchdown on a 3-yard run three plays later.

He finished with nine carries for 59 yards and had one reception for 9 yards for a performance coach Gary Kubiak said he was impressed with.

The former Virginia standout also returned one kickoff for 30 yards and a punt for 12 yards.

"I'm just happy I'm getting an opportunity to play in the NFL," Lundy said. "Anything I can do to help this team ... that's what I'm going to do."

Though it was a preseason game, Houston has to be happy with its first look at the team that was revamped after last season's 2-14 finish. The Texans had 325 yards of offense while holding the Chiefs to 172.

"I like how hard we played," Kubiak said. "I thought we were still pretty sloppy at times."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260812034
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He looked really bad when ESPN isolated him in their highlight package vs Turley. He looked like a rookie and I'm going to have to watch him closely when I re-look at the game. There will be better days...I hope.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am going rewatch the game and try to take notice of what is happening.
Old 08-13-2006   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He looked really bad when ESPN isolated him in their highlight package vs Turley. He looked like a rookie and I'm going to have to watch him closely when I re-look at the game. There will be better days...I hope.
jon ruynan 3 weeks to prepare
Old 08-13-2006   #5
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

gee I saw same thing but was written by an AP Writer named Kristie Reiken, guess maybe she works for ESPN or would they borrow (not steal nor plagarize) this so they don't have to work as hard
Old 08-13-2006   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

um... He IS a rookie and this IS his 1st preseason game. Did we expect him to break all the records tonight?? Cut the guy some slack. Bush didn't break Smith's record, did he? NOPE...Just checked. He had a little beter night than Lundy. Damn the bad luck.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We got our Reggie Bush in the late rounds.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
um... He IS a rookie and this IS his 1st preseason game. Did we expect him to break all the records tonight?? Cut the guy some slack. Bush didn't break Smith's record, did he? NOPE...Just checked. He had a little beter night than Lundy. Damn the bad luck.
Except Lundy got in the end zone
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #9
phan1
All Pro

Dude, I thought this ESPN bashing of Mario was just some conspiracy theory, but now it's getting pretty ridiculous. In the ESPN cover article, he is immediately compared first and foremost to other busted draft picks that were lineman. Now, our headline in a win against KC is "Top Pick Williams Not Super in Texans win". Come the F on!!! I don't understand what these guys problems are! Are they just F'n bitter or something? I am getting really PO'd here! ESPN is crap.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
Dude, I thought this ESPN bashing of Mario was just some conspiracy theory, but now it's getting pretty ridiculous. In the ESPN cover article, he is immediately compared first and foremost to other busted draft picks that were lineman. Now, our headline in a win against KC is "Top Pick Williams Not Super in Texans win". Come the F on!!! I don't understand what these guys problems are! Are they just F'n bitter or something? I am getting really PO'd here! ESPN is crap.
They are bitter because virtually all of their analysts were trumpeting Bush as the surest thing since sliced bread, the one can't-miss-won't-miss draft pick for the ages, and we made them all look dumb for daring to pass on him. So yes, they will spout "I told you so" each and every chance they get.
Old 08-13-2006   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
We got our Reggie Bush in the late rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Except Lundy got in the end zone

And he didnt cost $54 Million

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Shawne Merriman--1 tackle--what a loser and draft bust. It was 11 friggin plays--what was he supposed to do, get 12 sacks?
Old 08-13-2006   #13
Johnny Utah
All Pro

ESPN wants Mario to be a bust because it makes for a good national story.

They wanted Yao Ming to be a bust also and you could tell because during his first few games they always showed his bad plays. Same thing wil happen with Mario until he proves everyone wrong. Hopefully, he can make Michael Irving kiss the rear of a donkey.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #14
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Two Words or four letters and one word:
ESPN SUCKS
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

What we saw last night was a mix of rookie jitters, a pre-season game and the fact that all of our plays in the pre-season will most likely be pure vanilla. I expect to see some crazy blitzes going off once we start the regular season, and in those I see Williams playing a big role.
Old 08-13-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
um... He IS a rookie and this IS his 1st preseason game. Did we expect him to break all the records tonight?? Cut the guy some slack.
This happens every year. During the draft and camps most people focus on the positives of our new players. NFL games and competition however have a tendancy to bring out the negatives. I'm all for giving our rookies time to grow

I'll stand by my prediction that Mario will threaten for the Pro Bowl in his third year, although he'll get progressively better in his first two.

I was happy with Ryans, Spencer, and Lundy. They seem to be ahead of the curve right now; we'll see in the next few games. Winston isn't there yet, but I think it is too much to ask that all of our rookies be at the far end of the curve already. I was at the game and I haven't watched my recording yet; I didn't really notice Daniels for some reason.

Of course, it is just one pre-season game...
Old 08-13-2006   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
gee I saw same thing but was written by an AP Writer named Kristie Reiken, guess maybe she works for ESPN or would they borrow (not steal nor plagarize) this so they don't have to work as hard

Kristie is the local AP writer covering the Texans. She's no stranger around Texans camp. She's been on the sideline at OTAs, minicamps, and training camp. She is conspicuous in that she is usually one of the few female media types out there.

From what I've read, her articles are usually built around the quote sheet and very general in nature - but this is one of the first times I've seen her take an 'angle' like in the opening paragraph. It's a way to get national attention and is probably true to a point -- but I'll withhold conclusions on Mario until I can re-watch this game and the next several instead of ebbing and flowing with the tide.

One very odd quote by Mario is the one about him getting "tired" from the all the excitement of running out of the tunnel during introductions. What the hell is that? Someone pack him a case of Monster for next game.

AP wire copy can be picked up and ran with by anyone. It's what's most likely to be used in out-of-town reports on the Texans.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #18
diehard1192
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 diehard1192 has been demoted to the practice squad

Guys, ESPN is just calling it like they see it. And it is the same way the rest of the country sees it:

HOW IN WORLD DO YOU TAKE MARIO WILLIAMS OVER REGGIE BUSH?

It's not going to stop, so get ready for a whole lot more of the same. Casserly did this to you, not ESPN. Be mad at him.
diehard1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #19
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard1192
Guys, ESPN is just calling it like they see it. And it is the same way the rest of the country sees it:

HOW IN WORLD DO YOU TAKE MARIO WILLIAMS OVER REGGIE BUSH?

It's not going to stop, so get ready for a whole lot more of the same. Casserly did this to you, not ESPN. Be mad at him.
You are clueless. Stop.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #20
diehard1192
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 diehard1192 has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
You are clueless. Stop.
So it's ESPN's fault yall drafted Williams?
diehard1192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read