Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2006   #1
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

Default O - Line and Mario

I won't get to see the game until tomorrow on NFL Network. I live in Cowboy country.

How did the O-Line look in pass protection?? I see by the stats that Carr ran a lot. Were these scramble runs because the protection broke down or what?

How did Mario look??
Old 08-12-2006   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

No sacks allowed by any of our lines. Plenty of rollouts.

MW was doubled all quarter *He only played a quarter*
Old 08-12-2006   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Rollouts. Actually, the Chiefs secondary seemed to be doing a good job of covering receivers.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

They were planned rollouts. Carr was not even remotely threatened when he was in there but he did manage to get a little jittery without even being hit so while we didn't have to watch the impacts we got the same general effect.

I think it was Carr trying too hard but that's just my first impression.
Old 08-12-2006   #5
DefLord
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to DefLord

Honestly the O-Line has NEVER looked better... I was very impressed even with some of them where the QB were sitting in the pocket they had time to pass.. I think they looked great..

As for MW - yes he's only a Rookie and they are already treating him like a 2 headed monster coming their way... They had him doubled every time..
Old 08-12-2006   #6
barzilla
Veteran

Honestly, if other teams spend so much attention that we can get five sacks a game from the other DLs and LBs then he has done his job.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #7
Pietzsa
Rookie

I just rewound every play on defense for the first quarter just to examine Mario. He had a great push on every single play. There was one play with about 47 seconds left in the first quarter that he ragdolled their LT. From what I could see his problem may end up being that he can get upfield so fast that the plays might get past him as he's going. He WILL put up some good numbers this year but I'm really really impressed with Spencer. That man is a wall in the running game!
Pietzsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2006   #8
Pietzsa
Rookie

To me he looked just like they said he would. He took up the extra blockers and made a good push. Trust me, I have Tivo and I slo-moed the plays. I was plain surprized that they moved him around so much. He followed the TE and came in on 3rd and long as a DT. With a whole four quarters this man will knock down some QBs.
Pietzsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #9
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2723 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitchwoof
I won't get to see the game until tomorrow on NFL Network. I live in Cowboy country.

How did the O-Line look in pass protection?? I see by the stats that Carr ran a lot. Were these scramble runs because the protection broke down or what?

How did Mario look??
bootlegs with a mile of open space. Home, Home on the Range. I thought the pass protection was good. There was some great coverage. L. Sanders had a great deflection on a potential long ball....ended up being a drive killer I think.

Run coverage was porous. The oline was beating our dline creating holes. It's early so it's probably going to get fixed quickly.
Old 08-12-2006   #10
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2723 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
They were planned rollouts. Carr was not even remotely threatened when he was in there but he did manage to get a little jittery without even being hit so while we didn't have to watch the impacts we got the same general effect.

I think it was Carr trying too hard but that's just my first impression.
I agree with that, Carr needs to settle down. I expect Kubes will give him one or two things to think about....
Old 08-12-2006   #11
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
Honestly, if other teams spend so much attention that we can get five sacks a game from the other DLs and LBs then he has done his job.
exactly!
Old 08-12-2006   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn
I agree with that, Carr needs to settle down. I expect Kubes will give him one or two things to think about....
I think it was just first game jitters under Kubiak's new scheme. At least I hope it was. Carr didn't look bad though. But he didn't look good either. He was average, but he did gain yards by running the ball. That's a plus.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #13
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me say this about Mario...................

He did a turn good job tonight, he stayed in his rush lanes, stayed at home with his outside arm free forcing the ball back inside to the LB and DTs.
Played with good pad level and looked like he fit right in.

It IS VERY HARD to get sacks when a team dominates the run like the Chiefs so just cause he did not have any sacks says nothing, I garuntee if the guy had all game he would have got him self maybe a couple of sacks.

He did good, he did his job.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #14
WILLIEG
Veteran

Wand held his own tonight and did a pretty good job. The coaching makes a big difference. The only thing that bothered me is that sometimes he gave up to much room. Spencer was very impressive and very BIG. That guy has to be the heaviest player on the team and is a human Wall. He's diffently going to be pushing for the starting postion if Wand doesn't continue to improve, but it wa clear to see the improvement of the entire O-line with Sherman coaching it now. One more thing. Weary was dominating tonight and McKinney should be very worried about loosing his starting role. Winston did a fine job as well, so the same can be said of Weigert. I was very impressed!
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIEG
Wand held his own tonight and did a pretty good job. The coaching makes a big difference. The only thing that bothered me is that sometimes he gave up to much room. Spencer was very impressive and very BIG. That guy has to be the heaviest player on the team and is a human Wall. He's diffently going to be pushing for the starting postion if Wand doesn't continue to improve, but it wa clear to see the improvement of the entire O-line with Sherman coaching it now. One more thing. Weary was dominating tonight and McKinney should be very worried about loosing his starting role. Winston did a fine job as well, so the same can be said of Weigert. I was very impressed!
Thats what I saw as well, he gives up too much room sometimes.

Like on the 3rd and 7 in the second series were Carr hit Moulds on the crossing route, David almost got sacked, Wand was pushed back all the way to Carr.....................?
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #16
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I just got back from the game and I really liked what I saw. In the first quarter they ran at Mario and he was creating havoc. L.J. had to turn inside and was taken down by Demeco. I didn't like the fact that they moved him around so much, because I couldn't really focus on him, but he did get great push into the line I also saw one play where had he not been cut block he would have gotten the QB. The o-line was totally unrecognizeable, when they ran bootlegs it was like that side of the field was almost bare. I'm really pumped about the upcoming season.

GO TEXANS!!!!
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #17
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Thats what I saw as well, he gives up too much room sometimes.

Like on the 3rd and 7 in the second series were Carr hit Moulds on the crossing route, David almost got sacked, Wand was pushed back all the way to Carr.....................?
That is something I think Sherman will se as well if we can. As long as wand continues to get better throughout the season then I'm happy. Sheramn, so far, has done a great job with the entire O-line and has done something here that I thought wasn't possible at all possible. Keep up the great work Sherman!
Old 08-13-2006   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone see TJ in the stadium? Did he hold up his own on the bench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #19
WILLIEG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Did anyone see TJ in the stadium? Did he hold up his own on the bench?
T. Johnson did a pretty good jod but i can't really gage that against the level of competion he was facing in the 2nd string level.
Old 08-13-2006   #20
TFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 4909 TFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just watchin sportscenter and they showed about 5 plays of Mario Williams and he did not look good at all except when he made Kyle Turly jump. Now did they just show 5 bad plays and did not show any good plays that he made? Just wondering.
TFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read