Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-12-2006   #1
[[Gary Kubiak]]

Default Jay Cutler should have been the first QB taken!

Great instincts for a rookie. Not to diss, but his pocket presence is 5 years ahead of Carr and he is a rook.

Mayok was right. The throws he makes are amazing.
Old 08-12-2006   #2
Davis37
All Pro

I agree. The kid looks great
Old 08-12-2006   #3
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I say we put him in the pre-season Hall of Fame.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He wasn't playing with the first team defense, but David Carr does. Not to take anything away from him though, he seemed to have really improved since reports that he was far from taking the job from Plummer, he even took the backup spot from Bradlee Van Pelt. He was compared to Brett Favre, but I saw Peyton Manning in him when he made the TD pass on fourth down. First QB to be taken if Bud Adams didn't own the Titans. Jeff Fisher was the one who told the Broncos they should draft him, IIRC.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #5
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Ummm...no means to disrespect but Bruce Gradkowski out of Toledo was

11-13....and he is a rookie....thats pretty good for his first game ever in the NFL...but maybe thats just me.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I say we put him in the pre-season Hall of Fame.

Niiiice.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #7
football freak
Rookie

can we trade Carr for Cutler?
football freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2006   #8
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are funny, do you really think this kid would be doing this as a rookie QB on an expantion team? With Palmer as his QB coach?

"He is awsome", "Yea". ........................ His first head coach in the NFL is Mike Shanahan a QB genius. He is living the good life as a rookie.

Sounds like I am hating on him but I am not I like Cutler, But holy cow people.

Last edited by Hulk75; 08-12-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

hmm but Jay only led the broncos to 13 points.. that isn't good enough

huge nailed it with his statement..

not bashing on Jay but will echo Vinny statement above..Jay will be ok over in colorado

Quote:
"He played well, executed the offense," Denver coach Mike Shanahan said. "Both teams were very vanilla in their approach, so you don't get too excited. But a guy's got to go out there and perform, and I thought he showed a lot of poise."
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/...060811_DEN@DET
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #10
football freak
Rookie

Cutler did not play an entire game though did he?
football freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

no, it is a joke
there was a thread on stats and big debate earlier
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Cutler was awesome....but a few plays in one preseason game isn't something to make definitive statements on. That said, he just played like I thought he would play as I was one of the first guys pimping him before most of you guys woke up to him. I'd still take VY over him.
I don't know about awesome.... but he did play pretty well.

I remember the commentators making a comment, saying Jay didn't have any mistakes, that he didn't do anything wrong.

what I thought was humorous, was this was right after he over threw Ron Dayne in the flats...... well, maybe it was two or three plays after.

The kid looked good..... better than I expected, and better than that funny report about him not catching on.

first QB in the draft?? I don't think so... second surely, but first?? the thing about it, is that both the second and third QBs went to teams that really didn't need a QB.
Old 08-12-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I don't know about awesome.... but he did play pretty well.

I remember the commentators making a comment, saying Jay didn't have any mistakes, that he didn't do anything wrong.

what I thought was humorous, was this was right after he over threw Ron Dayne in the flats...... well, maybe it was two or three plays after.

The kid looked good..... better than I expected, and better than that funny report about him not catching on.

first QB in the draft?? I don't think so... second surely, but first?? the thing about it, is that both the second and third QBs went to teams that really didn't need a QB.
That "funny" report was from 6 weeks ago, more than enough time to catch on to things and learn.
Old 08-12-2006   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

not sure the Broncos have a lot of faith in Plummer so they made the draft day deal to move up and aquire the upgrade. Can't remember the specifics of Plummers deal but this will very likely be his last as the Broncos starting QB

ps. I think Carr is very close in most areas to Jay, the main difference being can Carr regain his confidence after being shell shocked four years while Cutler has the luxury of developing on the normal rookie timeline.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
You guys are funny, do you really think this kid would be doing this as a rookie QB on an expantion team? With Palmer as his QB coach?

"He is awsome", "Yea". ........................ His first head coach in the NFL is Mike Shanahan a QB genius. He is living the good life as a rookie.

Mike Shanahan? I thought Kubiak was the QB genius. The Broncos didn't win a SB until Kubiak was the QB coach.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006   #16
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...ssive_in_debut

Based on first impressions, Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer has to be shaking in his cleats. Granted, Jake has earned millions so why worry about rookie Jay Cutler playing ahead of him?

We may not be talking John Elway and Brett Favre yet, but Cutler is very close on arm strength. But what was more impressive was his improved quick release, his poise — there was a certain calmness about this kid — and his pocket sense. He used his legs well and he was patient on allowing some pass routes to develop.

In the end, Cutler was 16 of 22 for 192 yards and a touchdown. He also had one drop and another incompletion because the receiver stepped out of bounds after an 18-yard gain. Basically, Cutler’s stats were better than the combined numbers of Martz’s new quarterback stable in Detroit: Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky and Josh McCown.

“He played very well,” coach Mike Shanahan said of Cutler. “He executed the offense. He showed a lot of poise and overall did an excellent job.”

Cutler was happy with his debut. He admitted to being a little nervous, but he also said he wasn’t surprised that he played as well as he did.

“Both teams were pretty vanilla out there on offense and defense,” Cutler said. “It will be a lot different in the regular season. Everything will be faster.”

How does he know what it’s going to be like, being a rookie?

“Well, everyone’s told me it’s going to be a lot different,” he said, smiling.

Remember, Shanahan moved up in the draft in order to select Cutler, who might have been the quarterback the Lions overlooked. The Lions had a lot of needs and rookie linebacker Ernie Sims did play very well. But the Lions still need a franchise quarterback to emerge.

Could Vanderbilt’s Cutler really start this season?

“That’s why (Shanahan) drafted him,” another GM said in an email.

Of course, this GM was really emailing me to needle me about saying so many glowing things about Chicago’s Rex Grossman, who had a horrible game against the 49ers Friday night. That’s how fickle this NFL business is.
Old 08-13-2006   #17
Dragon
noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickDavisFan76
Ummm...no means to disrespect but Bruce Gradkowski out of Toledo was

11-13....and he is a rookie....thats pretty good for his first game ever in the NFL...but maybe thats just me.

B. Gradkowski 11/13 104 yards 2 TD 0 INT 0 fumble - Rookie 6th round
J. Cutler 16/22 192 yards 1 TD 0 INT 1 fumble - Rookie 1st round

I think that what characterizes both players are that both are playing for teams with great QB coaches (Gruden/Shanahan) and neither is expected to start right away, although Cutler might be starting sooner than later.

Gradkowski have the luxury to sit behind Simms, Fiedler and Rattay, although the later will probably be cut, and learn the game for a couple of years
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #18
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Cutler looking like the best QB out of the 06' Draft!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #19
Texans>Colts
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
B. Gradkowski 11/13 104 yards 2 TD 0 INT 0 fumble - Rookie 6th round
J. Cutler 16/22 192 yards 1 TD 0 INT 1 fumble - Rookie 1st round

I think that what characterizes both players are that both are playing for teams with great QB coaches (Gruden/Shanahan) and neither is expected to start right away, although Cutler might be starting sooner than later.

Gradkowski have the luxury to sit behind Simms, Fiedler and Rattay, although the later will probably be cut, and learn the game for a couple of years
Gradowski is awesome but will not be as good as Cutler. Remember it was only a pre-season game. Cutler will turn out to be the best QB from this class of QB's.
Old 08-14-2006   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans>Colts
Gradowski is awesome but will not be as good as Cutler. Remember it was only a pre-season game. Cutler will turn out to be the best QB from this class of QB's.
I REALLY disagree. I think Omar Jacobs will turn out to be the best, followed by Lienhart. Cutler does not have "it" IMO. I do not like him leading a team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read