Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Owen Daniels Diary - he's excited about first Texans game

"Thereís so much time in between seasons that any football player can relate when I say that Iím anxious to set foot on the field for the first time in eight months. Itís the same excitement I felt before my first varsity game in high school and the same feelings when I couldnít wait to play in a Badgers uniform. "
"Football is football. Itís the same as itís always been, but the level of intensity and the pace weíre going does not compare to anything Iíve been through."
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #2
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
"Football is football. Itís the same as itís always been, but the level of intensity and the pace weíre going does not compare to anything Iíve been through."
Just wait till he hears the intensity level of the Houston Crowd on opening day.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Show up TEs! Capers pretty much killed the position.........

Breuner, a non pass cathing TE on first string sounds like Kubes is babying Carr again! BS! Give him targets and let him make decisions.
Ummmm...two tight end sets?
Old 08-11-2006   #4
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default More votes for Bruener

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Show up TEs! Capers pretty much killed the position.........

Breuner, a non pass cathing TE on first string sounds like Kubes is babying Carr again! BS! Give him targets and let him make decisions.
Breuner is one of the best blocking TE's ever. This is not Kubiak's way of babying Carr, it is the best opportunity to have a great blocking TE on the field. If you look at the history of the Bronco's offense, there are many times they will use a 2 TE set, or keep the Tight End on the field to block. Putzier will be good for this role, but until Daniels and Joppru get to NFL blocking level, Bruener is a great choice to keep. He can catch the football, but unfortunately for him, in the offenses that he has played in, hasn't had many opportunities. When he was originally drafted in Pittsburgh, it was because of his pass catching aspects (Colorado through the rock!). Once they found out that his blocking skills would aid them in a stronger running game focus after the acquisition of Jerome Bettis, he solely became a blocking TE on the field and by reputation, due to the Steelers inactivity of using the TE in the passing game. Pre-Bruener, remember the Steelers had the dominating Eric Green at TE, and used Neil O'Donnell to throw the ball often. Green average between 40-50 catches, but then the offense shifted more to running. I feel bad for Bruener because he's gotten a bad rep, but this guy is a veteran presence needed to help teach the younger TE's to become better at the blocking role, and let their blocking skills catch-up ( no Pun intended) to the pass-catching parts of their game. I think with the NFL Tight End being revolutionized, we all want a TOny Gonzales, Gates, or Davis (SF), but in our style of offense, this doesn't translate well. YOu will have to complete both roles, if not, your not on the field.
As for more targets, that is why the TExans signed Jameel Cook and Eric Moulds. Running the I-Formation allows Carr to utilize Cook (A FB known for his pass-catching skills), Davis, (we know what he can do), Moulds, and Johnson. 4 options to throw to is more than enough. As long as CArr receives the protection and goes through his reads correctly, Carr will prosper! There will definitely be sets where the Tight End will work the middle of the field or play action calls, but having a TE as a dual threat is pivotal in this style of offense, to keep the defense guessing and on their heals.
Old 08-11-2006   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait 'til you see Daniels get down the field. It will be one of those 15 yard slants in the zone just behind the Mike LB - often from motion. He's got some quicks. I wasn't sure about that pick at first but I've been pleasantly surprised with what I've seen at camp.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Wait 'til you see Daniels get down the field. It will be one of those 15 yard slants in the zone just behind the Mike LB - often from motion. He's got some quicks. I wasn't sure about that pick at first but I've been pleasantly surprised with what I've seen at camp.
I've only been able to get to one practice, and then didn't get to see too much of the TEs. Couldn't you apply that description to Joppru ? I dunno, but aren't Owens and Joppru very much alike (size, athleticism, hands) ? What differences, if any, do you see between the two ?
Old 08-11-2006   #7
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Owen Daniels Diary - he's excited about first Texans game
"Thereís so much time in between seasons that any football player can relate when I say that Iím anxious to set foot on the field for the first time in eight months. Itís the same excitement I felt before my first varsity game in high school and the same feelings when I couldnít wait to play in a Badgers uniform. "
You think he's excited.... I think this pretty much sums me up. If I could add more I would.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2006   #8
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Joppru vs Daniels

Joppru is more like a young Bruener when he came out of collge, bigger guy, but athletic. I think Daniels is more like a REALLY athletic FullBack. More in the mold of a Dalls Clark if used properly!
Old 08-16-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

"The one thing that surprised me was the speed of the game. Itís incredible. You canít simulate it in practice, it canít be done, and believe me, we practice at a high speed too. Itís a complete different level then college. I expected that, but until you get out there, you really have no idea. On top of that, when I was able to get the ball, I got hit, and hit hard. I would have to say Iíve never been hit harder than I was Saturday night, and that was a preseason game."
"Of course the calls came in Saturday night and I got a lot of text messages Sunday from friends and family across the country. My parents actually got to watch the game at a bar in Chicago and my girlfriend was able to catch it too all the way in Minnesota ."
Post game comments from Daniels pretty interesting stuff, especailly since his
debut in the league went so well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read