Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Do you like the BCS?
Like it 4 9.76%
Don't like it 37 90.24%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Like or Dislike the BCS?

Do you like it or do you hate it? I don't like it. Go to a playoff system. I don't know how the playoff system would work without teams having to play too many games, but having the top 8 teams play in the four major bowls wouldn't be too bad. There would still be controversy over who get's left out, but I would guess nowhere near as much as there is with the BCS.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs would be better.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its Stupid .... sportswriters in no way should influence who the National Champoin is .... the players on the field should ..... gimmie play-offs

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #4
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted "like it" simply because it's better than what it used to be. The BCS determines an undesputed national champion, yet some teams (COUGH USC COUGH) claim a title when ONE POLL votes for them.

LSU raised the trophy, Trojans. Get over it.

I would prefer a playoff though
Old 08-10-2006   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Hate the BCS. A playoff would be awesome and doable.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #6
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Several years ago, it was either the President or Athletic Director at Tulane that was pursuing an Anti-Trust lawsuit against the BCS. I always wondered what became of it.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #7
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
Several years ago, it was either the President or Athletic Director at Tulane that was pursuing an Anti-Trust lawsuit against the BCS. I always wondered what became of it.
I think BYU has done the same thing since then. It seems like the odd man out every year tries to take legal action against the BCS.

Then somebody beats them in their conference and the point becomes moot anyway. Then they drop the legal action.

I remember last year sometime, Congress started to go after them for not implementing a playoff. I'm wondering what became of that now.

I don't like it even though I like last year's results.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2006   #8
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The argument for the Anti-trust lawsuits is economics. The BCS conferences are guaranteed money when teams from these conferences make it to BCS bowl games. Teams in non-BCS conferences have no chance at this money.

Mid-majors or non-BCS conferences are being pushed out of college football because they can not compete finacially with the BCS teams for new facilities which directly affect recruiting. It is the widening gulf syndrome.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
It was the President of Tulane. He and a few other college Presidents testified before Congress about the BCS. As a result, Non-BCS teams are eligible for BCS games, like Utah a few years ago.
Old 08-10-2006   #10
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Go to a playoff system. I don't know how the playoff system would work without teams having to play too many games, but having the top 8 teams play in the four major bowls wouldn't be too bad. There would still be controversy over who get's left out, but I would guess nowhere near as much as there is with the BCS.
IMO, you've got the solution except I would go to 16 teams. You could easily have the first round after finals and have the championship game on the off week before the Super Bowl. The conference championship games could be integrated into the first round, so its only adding two games for the two teams in the Championship game.
Old 08-10-2006   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan
I voted "like it" simply because it's better than what it used to be. The BCS determines an undesputed national champion, yet some teams (COUGH USC COUGH) claim a title when ONE POLL votes for them.

LSU raised the trophy, Trojans. Get over it.

I would prefer a playoff though
That's exactly why the BCS stinks. Yeah, it's better than what they had before, but that doesn't make it good. And especially when there's "BCS" conferences that have a championship game, and others that don't.

Every division in college football has a playoff and D1 could do it too AND still keep the bowl system in place while doing it. Would a 1st round playoff game in the Cotton Bowl, Liberty Bowl, and Gator Bowl make any more money than those bowl games as they are now? I can't for the life of me figure out why the networks haven't jumped all over this.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #12
Andy9381
Rookie

Default A new system...

I am new here but I though I would get your guys opinion on an idea I have been submitting to the BCS people over the years. They have never took me serious but I believe if I should ever have a new system they would like I would be able to convince them to something I and everyone would agree on. Here goes...

The BCS should be playoff format with bowl games integrated. Under new system a "Dirty Dozen" or whatever they want to call it would be chosen from the BCS rankings to go into the "Bowl Playoffs". The reward for being the "Four Horsemen", i.e. the top four teams ranked, would be a one bye week. Thus, teams 5-12 would start a tournament. (5 v 12-Peach Bowl, 6 v 11-Outback Bowl, 7 v 10 - Gator Bowl, 8 v 9 - Cotton Bowl). Thus, after week one there would be eight teams left for the National Championship.

The rest of the playoffs would be split into a East v West Tournament style bracket. If you look at the Top Six Bowl games, 4 BCS and Holiday and Capital One, you can Split them up by the location of the game into two even groups. Holiday, Tostitos, and Rose would be west. Capital One, Sugar, and Orange would be East. The Game that would decide who would ultimately go into the championship would switch off every year between the two BCS bowls. East championship would be either orange or Sugar, and west would be Rose or Tostitos. Who decides who plays the other games? Well the holiday and Capital One game would get the better match up (i.e. 5 v3 or 6 v 4) and the BCS bowl game that does not produce the East or West Champion gets the highest ranked team (1 v 8 or 2 v 7).

The winners of the East and West BCS would then move to the National Championship, where it will be held at the best location (newest NFL stadium or just best location for fans).

If this was used last year and all the high ranked teams won, the four week schedule would have played out like this.

Week 1:

EAST
12-LSU v 5-Oregon (Peach Bowl)
10-V Tech v 7-Georgia (Gator)

WEST
11-West Vir v 6-Notre Dame (Outback)
9-Auburn v 8-Miami

Week 2:

EAST
5-Oregon v 3-Penn State (Holiday)
7-Georgia v 2-Texas (Tostitos)

WEST
6-Notre Dame v 4-OSU (Capital One)
8-Miami v 1-USC (Sugar)

Week 3:

EAST BCS Championship
3-PSU v 2-UT (Rose)

WEST BCS Championship
4-OSU v 1-USC (Orange)

Week 4:

BCS Championship

2-UT v 1-USC (Somewhere between TX and CA)

So what do you think??
Andy9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Four team playoff please.
Old 08-10-2006   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

8 team playoff please. That way, there's a pretty good chance that at least 6 of the teams deserve to be there.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #15
Andy9381
Rookie

You have to think of what the BCS gains with just having 8 teams and the difficulty of choosing the format. Along with that you have to add gimmicks to sell the weeks of footbal in a makreting campaing. Hence, the "Dirty Dozen", Four Horseman, East v West, etc.
Old 08-10-2006   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

They are probably worried about a small market team making it to the Championship game. The BCS virtually eliminates that possibility.
Old 08-10-2006   #17
Andy9381
Rookie

The chances of a small market team making into the big game after four weeks, compared to the three weeks it would take for teams 1-4 is astronomical. Thus, a fairy tale team may raise the interest of all fans if they were to play a goliath. Like if TCU made it against Notre Dame, the rating would be high because of the story. Plus teams with bigger markets would get multiple games that would allow for more revenue. Just my thoughts on that.
Old 08-11-2006   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Andy, I like that idea. I like that alot. Too bad the BCS won't use it as long as it's around.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #19
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy9381
I am new here but I though I would get your guys opinion on an idea I have been submitting to the BCS people over the years. They have never took me serious but I believe if I should ever have a new system they would like I would be able to convince them to something I and everyone would agree on. Here goes...

The BCS should be playoff format with bowl games integrated. Under new system a "Dirty Dozen" or whatever they want to call it would be chosen from the BCS rankings to go into the "Bowl Playoffs". The reward for being the "Four Horsemen", i.e. the top four teams ranked, would be a one bye week. Thus, teams 5-12 would start a tournament. (5 v 12-Peach Bowl, 6 v 11-Outback Bowl, 7 v 10 - Gator Bowl, 8 v 9 - Cotton Bowl). Thus, after week one there would be eight teams left for the National Championship.

The rest of the playoffs would be split into a East v West Tournament style bracket. If you look at the Top Six Bowl games, 4 BCS and Holiday and Capital One, you can Split them up by the location of the game into two even groups. Holiday, Tostitos, and Rose would be west. Capital One, Sugar, and Orange would be East. The Game that would decide who would ultimately go into the championship would switch off every year between the two BCS bowls. East championship would be either orange or Sugar, and west would be Rose or Tostitos. Who decides who plays the other games? Well the holiday and Capital One game would get the better match up (i.e. 5 v3 or 6 v 4) and the BCS bowl game that does not produce the East or West Champion gets the highest ranked team (1 v 8 or 2 v 7).

The winners of the East and West BCS would then move to the National Championship, where it will be held at the best location (newest NFL stadium or just best location for fans).

If this was used last year and all the high ranked teams won, the four week schedule would have played out like this.

Week 1:

EAST
12-LSU v 5-Oregon (Peach Bowl)
10-V Tech v 7-Georgia (Gator)

WEST
11-West Vir v 6-Notre Dame (Outback)
9-Auburn v 8-Miami

Week 2:

EAST
5-Oregon v 3-Penn State (Holiday)
7-Georgia v 2-Texas (Tostitos)

WEST
6-Notre Dame v 4-OSU (Capital One)
8-Miami v 1-USC (Sugar)

Week 3:

EAST BCS Championship
3-PSU v 2-UT (Rose)

WEST BCS Championship
4-OSU v 1-USC (Orange)

Week 4:

BCS Championship

2-UT v 1-USC (Somewhere between TX and CA)

So what do you think??
Imagine the travel expenses involved for the schools/fans to have to go to that many different sites for games. It's why the other divisions (1-AA, II, etc.) have seeds and the top seeds host opening round games.

I voted that I liked the BCS because there wasn't an option for voting for a playoff.

Yes, the BCS stinks. But if you think it really sucks, then you've forgotten how bad it was before. Before the BCS, USC would've played Ohio State in the Rose Bowl this year. Texas would've played Notre Dame in the Fiesta.

Both would've finished undefeated and because of their respect, USC would've been given both titles in the polls. But because of the BCS, we now know that result would've been wrong.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #20
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Imagine the travel expenses involved for the schools/fans to have to go to that many different sites for games. It's why the other divisions (1-AA, II, etc.) have seeds and the top seeds host opening round games.
Imagine the money those schools recieve playing in 3 or 4 bowl games instead of just one. And having those games mean something unlike all the bowls that are played now which mean absolutely nothing other than a payday except for the championship game.

It can be done easily.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read