Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2006   #1
Outlander
Rookie

Default SI Humor - Flanagan's take on Mario

See the link...it gave me a chuckle. The more I read from the national media outlets they seem to be finally getting on the Mario bandwagon after seeing him practice. Is it me or is the national media keeping their pie hole shut about Bush? I haven't seen many articles about him. That and he isn't mention often on the NFL network on Sirius.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.6.html
Old 08-09-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice find. Thanks for posting it.

I think Mario will more than prove his worth. And my prediction is that he'll be playing and making an impact long after Bush has retired.
Old 08-09-2006   #3
NoBullTexan
Veteran

In the videos I've seen, he has been punishing all the offensive linemen that go against him.
Old 08-09-2006   #4
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

if that is what OUR O-Line is feeling, imagine the opponents O-Line..am betting there are a lot of guys asking for help or as you would say it in a cartoon....HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2006   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullTexan
In the videos I've seen, he has been punishing all the offensive linemen that go against him.
I hope Courtney Brown wasn't doing the same after he got drafted #1...
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #6
joshri
Rookie

About Courtney Brown....

I have always dreaded that also. Those guys were nothing like Mario though.

I think Mario is more like another former #1 D pick. Bruce Smith
joshri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 58259 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks taller on TV. No wonder Mario is taking his lunch money.
Old 08-09-2006   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I hope Courtney Brown wasn't doing the same after he got drafted #1...
Ryan Leaf was doing great in camp and practices...different position, same situation.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 58259 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroussardSaint
yea they know they will just sit back and watch REGGIE do his thing. no need to talk only about him. and if you can post some links about how great MARIO will be. we would like to read them.
No NEED to talk about him, or just nothing to talk ABOUT? And,um, that WAS a post about how good Mario IS. He's gonna be like fine wine...better with age. Unlike most RB's. This is killing me. The entire NFL world is PO'd at us for taking Mario, but we have to deal with sAint's fans who are mad because they have the second coming of Eric Metcalf Jr. on their hands. Just look forward to 3rd downs, Broussard. You'll have plenty of them, and that's when the Bush will hit the fan, I mean field.
Old 08-09-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Ryan Leaf was doing great in camp and practices...different position, same situation.

Ryan Leaf was supposed to be picked where he was, it was a true toss up in all scouts eyes between him and Manning. The fact that he failed is different, as is the situation that he was in as compared to Mario's. Mario was not really expected or even thought of to go first overall until a few days before the draft, Leaft was always a top contender.
Old 08-09-2006   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yea they know they will just sit back and watch REGGIE do his thing. no need to talk only about him. and if you can post some links about how great MARIO will be. we would like to read them.
hmmm...We have plenty of pics and tapes of Mario in practice...see, he didn't hold out, he came into the OTAs.
Old 08-09-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Mario was not really expected or even thought of to go first overall until a few days before the draft, Leaft was always a top contender.
7 teams would disagree with you. Now draftsperts are a whole nuther matter.
Old 08-09-2006   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Ryan Leaf was supposed to be picked where he was, it was a true toss up in all scouts eyes between him and Manning. The fact that he failed is different, as is the situation that he was in as compared to Mario's. Mario was not really expected or even thought of to go first overall until a few days before the draft, Leaft was always a top contender.
What I meant is that the performance now doesn't count, its the regular season that counts.
Old 08-09-2006   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

Ask and you shall receive

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9593266

Quote:
The atmosphere in Houston is completely different. This is a team that could surprise some people. The Texans have some good young players. With first overall draft pick Mario Williams at defensive end and a good young linebacker in second-round pick DeMeco Ryans, the defense should be improved.
Quote:
Running back Domanick Davis is a question mark due to injuries. He might not gain 1,000 yards this season, but Houston should be fine with a running back by committee. Despite uncertainty at the position, though, I still think they made the right decision by taking Williams over Reggie Bush with the top pick in the draft.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/3816992.html

Quote:
Williams, who is entering the NFL draft as a junior, put on an extraordinary exhibition at the Indianapolis scouting combine. He was 6-7, 295 when he ran the 40 in 4.70 seconds, benched 225 pounds 35 times and had a 40 1/2 -inch vertical jump — the same as Southern Cal running back Reggie Bush.
Quote:
Every coach in the NFL would love to have Williams on his roster.
Quote:
I haven't seen a guy like this in years," said Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who's expected to take a quarterback with the third overall pick. "I've seen impact players but nobody that has the potential to impact a defense like him.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's a negative that a thread can't focus on Mario Williams without Reggie Bushs name coming up.

I care as much about Reggie Bush right now as I do about Tiki Barber. I'm not interested in news about Tiki and I don't have anything to say to Giants fans who might come in here to talk about him. Last I heard he wasn't a Texan. Niether is Reggie Bush. That marks the end of my interest.
Old 08-10-2006   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I think it's a negative that a thread can't focus on Mario Williams without Reggie Bushs name coming up.

I care as much about Reggie Bush right now as I do about Tiki Barber. I'm not interested in news about Tiki and I don't have anything to say to Giants fans who might come in here to talk about him. Last I heard he wasn't a Texan. Niether is Reggie Bush. That marks the end of my interest.
Unfortunately, most, if not all, of articles written about the Texans will feature the name Reggie Bush. It's inevitable.

Quote:
6 of 11The reality of the Texans drafting Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush is just settling in for center Mike Flanagan.

Old 08-10-2006   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that's a personal bucket for Flanagan.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Unfortunately, most, if not all, of articles written about the Texans will feature the name Reggie Bush. It's inevitable.
Hopefully they will start to be quotes like "Texans were right to pick Mario over Reggie"
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel

although many here understand & may agree with this viewpoint, its a part of draft history that may never go away don't blame your every day fan for this unrelenting slew of opinion, heaven forbid David misteps and VY leads the Titans over the Texans latter this season.

as was posted (for those here for pre-draft discussions) the Texans could be winners with selecting any of the top 3 prospects (Mario, Bush & VY). I'm very happy with the results, but I would have also been happy with any of the others as well, the Texans received adequate compensation for failing so miserably last season, but the main coup may have been getting Kubiak & ensuing exodus

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read