Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-09-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colts defense takes hit with Freeney out

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/IND/9591566

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (Aug. 8, 2006) -- Three-time Pro Bowl selection Dwight Freeney joined the Indianapolis Colts ' rapidly expanding injury list, missing the morning practice after complaining of a sore shoulder.

Colts coach Tony Dungy said Freeney, the 2004 NFL sacks leader, was held out for precautionary reasons and was expected to have an MRI. Dungy downplayed the severity of the injury, calling it a strain that occurred over time rather than something that could be pinpointed to a single play or hit.

"It's something that's been bothering him, and it's our sense that he will be fine," Dungy said. "We just want to get it checked out. If it was a regular-season game, I'm sure he'd be out here practicing and playing."

Dungy was uncertain which shoulder Freeney hurt or whether it was the one that required minor surgery last year.

The mounting injuries, however, have forced Dungy and the Colts to make changes.

Three of last season's starters -- defensive tackle Montae Reagor (knee) and safeties Bob Sanders (shoulder) and Mike Doss (calf) -- have missed at least one week of training camp. Another starter, former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Corey Simon (knee), has been out since Aug. 4.

Starting linebackers Cato June, another Pro Bowl pick last season, and Gary Brackett have been limited to one practice each day and both were expected to miss Aug. 8's workout.

If both linebackers are kept out, Indy would be missing seven of last season's starters.

In all, 16 players missed the morning workout -- 12 of them dressed in blue defensive jerseys. The others included second-round draft pick Tim Jennings, a cornerback, who had offseason ankle surgery; defensive back Antoine Bethea (knee), a sixth-round pick in April; and backup quarterback Jim Sorgi (shoulder).

Sanders, who made his first Pro Bowl last season, is on the physically-unable-to-perform list after having offseason surgery. He's hoping to start practicing next week.

"I feel good right now," Sanders said. "The plan is to start doing one-a-days Tuesday."

Freeney's absence, however, was the latest surprise. He practiced Aug. 7 and skipped the afternoon special teams-only session, as usual.

But when Freeney arrived Aug. 8, he was wearing a baseball cap -- the Colts' symbol for players sitting out -- and occasionally clowned around with some of his injured teammates.
Old 08-09-2006   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm feeling the Colts getting overthrown by Toro and Company this year....
Old 08-09-2006   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

this is terrible news. 1, because i like freeney ... you have to appreciate that kind of talent nomatter what team he plays for. and 2, because when we beat the colts this year i dont want there to be any excuses. we are a new team, and we'll earn that respect. atleast it sounds like these injuries are fairly minor.
Old 08-09-2006   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
this is terrible news. 1, because i like freeney ... you have to appreciate that kind of talent nomatter what team he plays for. and 2, because when we beat the colts this year i dont want there to be any excuses. we are a new team, and we'll earn that respect. atleast it sounds like these injuries are fairly minor.
Same here. I want to see them fall in peak form. They already have an out with James gone... no more.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read