Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LTs Wand & Spencer vs. DE Jared Allen Saturday

"Owns tremendous natural instincts for the game … Lanky sack artist possesses great flexibility and an uncanny ability to bend his frame when coming off the edge … Can also use his speed to chase down ball carriers from behind or utilize his strength and athleticism to gain leverage on his foes … Seemingly always finds a way to get to the football … Racked up seven forced fumbles last season"
http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/jared_allen/
This young pass rusher will provide Wand and Spencer with a tremendous challenge this weekend. In only his third year, he got 9 sacks his rookie year and went into double digits with 11 last year.
This side of "the man" Dwight Feeney himself, Allen may be as good as any pass rusher our LTs face this year. IMO, this is a major test for Wand because
he's on the spot to deliver or expect the Texans coaches to step up their interest in Spencer, who sounds as if he's already breathing down Wand's
neck for the job. But Spencer is just a rookie.
I hope Allen is in there at his weakside position for atleast a full half, so that both of our tackles have a chance to show their stuff against a tough, high
motor competitor.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I hope Allen is in there at his weakside position for atleast a full half, so that both of our tackles have a chance to show their stuff against a tough, high
motor competitor.
Given the nature of the first pre-season game, it may not be very likely that he plays enough to give both our LTs the test. I agree though; it would be nice.
Old 08-08-2006   #3
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Given the nature of the first pre-season game, it may not be very likely that he plays enough to give both our LTs the test. I agree though; it would be nice.
agreed. I watched HOF game last week just because I wanted to see how polished Raiders and Eagles looked. Raiders looked like it was their first day at work, Eagles had some consistency in their movement relative to teammates. If I see the Texans looking like a team on the field instead of 11 individuals at a time, I'll be happy.
Old 08-09-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Spencer starts against the Eagles, but I don't think that's all good news. Wand has experience and should be winning that battle easily, but I don't think he will anymore.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #5
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I think Spencer starts against the Eagles, but I don't think that's all good news. Wand has experience and should be winning that battle easily, but I don't think he will anymore.
When Spencer got anounced as our draft pick at the beginning of the 3rd round, did anyone honestly think that we would be talking about him probably starting week 1? Any time someone with Wand's experience as a starter and just being in the league in general cant beat out a rookie it does 2 things: 1) speaks horrible volumes about how bad the vet must be 2) How well the rookie is playing. Im pulling for Spencer, Wand has had too many chances and we're better off developing our talent. Out with the old, in with the new.
Old 08-09-2006   #6
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, Lork, you sound like me when I play Madden.

"Who needs Steve McNair? Why, my rookie quarterback is rated 78."
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #7
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad
Wow, Lork, you sound like me when I play Madden.

"Who needs Steve McNair? Why, my rookie quarterback is rated 78."
Lol, that may be true if you give McNair (who your relating to Wand in this case ) a mid 70 grade as well. When you have 2 players, 1 whos been benched and lost his job already before, and another whos got great potential and is our obvious long term solution, its obvious where its leading to.
Old 08-10-2006   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"With rookie Charles Spencer challenging Wand’s position throughout training camp, both were being assessed as starters. Kubiak has decided to leave Wand as the starting left tackle, however he and Spencer will rotate throughout the game for equal reps.
“Seth Wand will (start), he and Charles Spencer are basically going to play the football game for us,” Kubiak said. “You’re going to see them bouncing in and out periodically, but those two guys are in a battle. They’re both neck-and-neck, and they’ll go the whole game if they need to play.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
The above is hot off the press today from the Texans web site, so the competition for LT as Kubiak says is "neck-and-neck".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
Im pulling for Spencer, Wand has had too many chances and we're better off developing our talent. Out with the old, in with the new.
So I expect that if Spencer wins the job but fails to be dominant we'll sign a fat old veteran from somebody's cast off pile next year and hand the job to him right? Then while Spencer gets zero attention we'll watch the fat clown get beaten until we move Pitts over to do the job. The following season we'll draft a rookie LT and develop him since Spencer will have had too many chances.

Wand IS also "our talent" and if that's what you call having had too many chances then it's a wonder anyone plays the same position two years in a row in this league.

They're both 3rd round draft picks so which year do you want to throw away?

Personally I'm pulling for both Wand and Spencer and everyone here should be too. If Spencer starts at LT this year I want him to have had to beat a guy for the job who was competent and if he goes down I want Wand to be able to step up and do the job. Likewise I want Spencer to push Seth Wand hard for that spot so that Wand earns it and demonstrates that he's capable of doing it.
Old 08-11-2006   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Personally I'm pulling for both Wand and Spencer and everyone here should be too. If Spencer starts at LT this year I want him to have had to beat a guy for the job who was competent and if he goes down I want Wand to be able to step up and do the job. Likewise I want Spencer to push Seth Wand hard for that spot so that Wand earns it and demonstrates that he's capable of doing it.
Exactly. If Spencer starts fine, but it should be because Spencer beat out Wand, not because Wand got caught casting lascivious looks at Pendry's daughter and dreaming about bovine children. Spencer should have played well enough even Wand would agree he had played well as opposed to seeing his spot handed over to an inferior player without competition and then even when the player craters not getting a consideration for getting the job back.

Example A--the non-competition between Riley and Wand last year.

Example B--the competitions between Babin and Peek, Wand and Riley this year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read