Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-06-2006   #1
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

Default Tramon Williams

I've read much of the thread discussions about our CB situation and the lack of depth (I agree). However, I've seen just about every CB's name in the discussions except Tramon Williams. First off, he holds the 2005 statistical award for passes defended / PBUs in NCAA IA football. Secondly, he has lead our DBs (Texans) in PBUs through most of camp.....(I know P-Buch and D-Rob are currently injured. I'm speaking about our healthy DBs, including the new "vets"). He was considered as one of our 5 best CBs at the end of mini-camp and OTAs. The kid is very smart, has outstanding hips and can cover. Tramon has a freakishly wide wingspan for his height and can vert 41". Here's an additional bonus........the kid hits like a freight train! He doesn't shy from any contact what-so-ever. So, tell me what you folks have heard thus far about Tramon with regards to camp......any insight/thoughts?
JUSTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #2
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

Here....this is what I was talking about. Take a look at Tramon's scout grades compared to the other CBs taken ahead of him in the draft and I believe the Texans got a pretty darn good player!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/williams_tramon
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/key
Old 08-06-2006   #3
Sco-tai
Veteran

wow...great read.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of him? I'm the one that started the "DB wish list" thread a few days ago and I'm embarrassed to admit I had never heard of him.

Now...if ONLY we could get a depth chart. I mean..c'mon guys. If the Raiders & Giants can get one out there, certainly so can Kub & the gang. I mean.....we're not asking for THE FINAL...just "current status', aye!?!?
Old 08-06-2006   #4
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

Exactly....I've been to the practices and this kid has been making plays! I was at the La Tech vs Auburn game in 2004 when Tramon "smashed" Ronnie Brown. It wasn't one of those "caught off guard" shots either. Both players knew the other was comin', they sized each other up and let what ever happen..happen. Tramon caught Ronnie right around the chest / chin area and almost knocked him out. Tramon has all the tools to be a huge contributor for the Texans....all he needs is the opportunity. He's my pick for a solid back-up CB and I'll be there Saturday to root for him!
Old 08-06-2006   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTAFAN
... He was considered as one of our 5 best CBs at the end of mini-camp and OTAs?
According to ....?

Dunta, Petey, P Buc, Sanders, McKenzie....

So you're saying he was ahead of either Sanders or McKenzie. Based on.....?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #6
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco-tai
wow...great read.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of him? I'm the one that started the "DB wish list" thread a few days ago and I'm embarrassed to admit I had never heard of him.

Now...if ONLY we could get a depth chart. I mean..c'mon guys. If the Raiders & Giants can get one out there, certainly so can Kub & the gang. I mean.....we're not asking for THE FINAL...just "current status', aye!?!?
Your knot alone I read as much as I can and I've never heard of him. Maybe AJ, or Coach C or anyone else thats been to TC can fill us in on his status.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #7
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

AJ...every player you mentioned received a "Playmaker" jersey except a healthy McKenzie. It was the 4 others you mentioned plusTramon Williams.
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2006   #8
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

Please...I'm just curious!
Old 08-06-2006   #9
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Please...I'm just curious!
AJ....have you noticed this CB, if so do you think he's got a shot to make at least the pratice squad?
Old 08-06-2006   #10
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

Remember AJ....Tramon Williams (#41) was the CB who snagged a one-handed pick during a practice last week. Then on yesterday, he went up high to knock a pass down and it was picked by Simmons (?).
Old 08-06-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

fwiw, from a "notice" perspective, I see John Walker making more plays than Williams.

Justafan, you appear to be the one with all the scoop on Williams.
Old 08-06-2006   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
fwiw, from a "notice" perspective, I see John Walker making more plays than Williams.

Justafan, you appear to be the one with all the scoop on Williams.
In the highlights from camp shown on ABC13(in which some of you guys were in) John Walker was often around the play, I don't know if it was because the QB picked on him or if he rushed to the ball swiftly.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Walker doesn't have great speed but he seems to be in the right place at the right time more often than not.

That Simmons interception was a terrible pass (jump ball) into the endzone into quadruple coverage. Almost hail mary-ish. It was much more of a bad play by the QB as it was a good play by the DBs.
Old 08-06-2006   #14
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

Maybe Saturday's pre-season opener will do some "swaying".
Old 08-06-2006   #15
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

Has anyone noticed that they are trying Walker at the Free Safety position?
Old 08-07-2006   #16
AFD1717
Veteran

Tramon seems like the classic tweener. Smaller than you'd like for a safety and slower than you'd like for a corner. Hopefully his play will outweigh his measurables because he seems like a good football player.
Old 08-07-2006   #17
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

One thing about Tramon......he's a gamer. The way I see it, D-Rob is a beast at the position. He owns it. He's the man! No question. Sanders has good size and has looked great throughout camp. This is a contract year for P Buch so expect him to shine (that's just the way it is!). Other than those three, it's really up for grabs. I've read what Faggins fans (great practice player) and McKenzie fans (come on now!) have written in their threads and I can respect their loyalty, but the only three sure fired CBs who have a spot locked-up are the three that were mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph. I'm just a fan. Who knows.....crazier things have happened. Let's just see what happens on Saturday.
Old 08-07-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

FWIW I haven't noticed Tramon much one way or the other, meaning nothing really good but nothing bad either. However I tend to watch a particular group of players and don't have the luxury of video review for analyzing the others, so that opinion is probably only worth so much. I have heard good things about him though and I think he will likely make the squad if for no other reason that our lack of depth at DB right now.
Old 08-07-2006   #19
JUSTAFAN
Rookie

Well, all he needs is for the stars and moon to line up creating an opportunity. Once he gets the opportunity, we'll be hearing a lot more from this kid!
Old 08-07-2006   #20
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Well, all he needs is for the stars and moon to line up creating an opportunity. Once he gets the opportunity, we'll be hearing a lot more from this kid!
Well if by stars and moon you mean McKenzie and Fagins getting hurt, then yes he has his chance. It sucks we lost those 2 guys, but all it means is that someone else has the chance to step up and be big for us. Personally, Im hoping its him or Walker.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read