Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2004   #21
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I agree, all except for the average wr/rb comment. we have to great second year players, who both played well when they got the ball in there hands(all except the fumbles) oh and really i theink gaffney had a heck of a game getting open on crossing routes and bradford caught some good passes a s well. the offense was spreading the ball very succesfully in the opening half but the offensive coordinator gets too conservative in the 2nd half.
Old 09-12-2004   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
AJ and DD are average receivers and running backs. Yes, they get their yards and receptions, but they aren't really a threat. Some of you will be all over me for these statements, but I think I'm being realistic. I wish it were different.
That is pretty ridiculous. I won't debate you today but one question... Did you watch the game today Ibar? Or are you just 'drawing conclusions' based on the stat sheet again?
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #23
Dontcare
waterboy

The Interceptions were not nearly as big as the fumbles. DD lost the game with his two fumbles, Carrs ints were not his fault and are much more likley to happen then a fumble. DD is good but he must get better at holding onto the ball for the Texans to have a chance at competeing this year.
Dontcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #24
Keldar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontcare
The Interceptions were not nearly as big as the fumbles. DD lost the game with his two fumbles, Carrs ints were not his fault and are much more likley to happen then a fumble. DD is good but he must get better at holding onto the ball for the Texans to have a chance at competeing this year.
David Carr needs to be held accountable just as much as Domanick does. Don't throw off-balance from one foot(1st int.), and don't grin like a corn eatin' raccoon after an interception occurs from you bouncing it off a linebacker's helmet(2nd int.).

Nobody gets to skate the blame today!!!!!
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #25
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem with Palmers playcalling. It was fine to me. Afterall we didn't have to punt until the 4th quarter. Yes the offense didn't move the ball in the 2nd half.. why? turnovers killed our offense. Meanwhile overall our defense was a disappointment to me today.

I think I heard Robaires' name once and heck I didn't even think Walker was playing today. Their OL did a great job today.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The playcalling was fine. Davis only ran the ball 10 times in the second half. We just don't execute in the clutch and we turn it over. That is why we lost. Not the playcalling (ten second half runs too much for DD?). I guess you answered me Ibar.
Old 09-12-2004   #27
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The playcalling was fine. Davis only ran the ball 10 times in the second half. We just don't execute in the clutch and we turn it over. That is why we lost. Not the playcalling (ten second half runs too much for DD?). I guess you answered me Ibar.
I amazed at the number of people who have watched football for years and can't tell the difference between poor execution and poor play calling.

At the end of the half, you have to be able to trust your QB to not throw interception and with 4 minutes left you need to be able to hand the ball to your "stud" RB on your opponents 15 and he not fumble.

With 4 turnovers, there is ZERO blame to the coaching staff. All on two members of the 'triplets"
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2004   #28
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm disappointed in the loss but I'm looking for a bounce back game next week.

Turnovers devastated them today. And it hurts to lose a home game. You should really hope to win those and catch a few wins on the road.

Reload, practice hard and get the win next weekend.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #29
rhc564
Veteran

Robinson should not be learning his NFL posisition at the expense of the
team. Also, against last years NFL doormat and even playing at home, we
had the same old problems--

(1) NO PASS RUSH/PRESSURE but San Diego did
(2) TURNOVERS-- Chargers had none
(3) FIELD GOALS in the RED ZONE in the 1st quarter, not scoring in
the 4th quarter-- Chargers did
(4) TOO MANY PENALTIES

Say what you want and sugar coat it as much as you can, but the
Texans do not play to win-- they play not to lose...
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #30
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching on TV doesn't allow you to see the two deep zone coverage that pretty much dictated the underneath stuff all day. I would have liked to see them take one or two more shots long but your best money is on the underneath stuff the way that SD was playing defense... And they did a pretty good job -- what was Carr about 19-25 for 200+ or something? The fumbles were killers. INTs are never good. (Carr TD/INT ratio off to a bad start) It was the -4 turnover thing that cost us the game. Play calling was a non issue. The Texans should have won this game easily but they laid an egg.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #31
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc564
Robinson should not be learning his NFL posisition at the expense of the team.
Yeah, that's a damned if you do/damned if you don't problem. He's the new 1st round whiz kid (one of them at least) and he's our future shutdown corner but he doesn't become that player until he gets in the game.

Personally I think our team's better with Glenn and Coleman at the corners and Mcree holding down that safety spot they moved Coleman to but that's just me and even I only mean that it's better in the short term. I know that we're better in the long run getting Robinson (and Babbin) their experience now.

He's got to play sometime. He can't just sit there on the sideline and work in practice to reach his potential.
Old 09-12-2004   #32
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Forget all the other stats. The one that dictates who wins and loses in nearly every case is the turn over ratio. We are off to a BAD start for the year. We need to be on the positive side of the give away/take away ratio if we expect to get to 8-8.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #33
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Despite his slip (literally) today, Robinson is already better in man coverage than Coleman was last year or the year before.
Old 09-12-2004   #34
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Despite his slip (literally) today, Robinson is already better in man coverage than Coleman was last year or the year before.
How did Coleman look at FS?
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #35
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

Were still a few years away from being suprising, Carr made good reads, and good plays were called but we just had a few unlucky plays. I do believe we should of taken more shots down field, I only remember one long ball throwen, you can't do that. You have to try for the big play. Defensive secondary looks like their gonna get picked on all year, were in for another losing record season, but the games will atleast be more exciting. We'll just have to wait another year for those playoffs.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #36
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

I have to disagree, he got beat numerous times, and it's not like hes playin against some name receivers. Parker/Caldwell??????????? Come on....
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I thought Robinson played a fine game. He had the one slip but he did a good job otherwise.
Old 09-12-2004   #38
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I have to disagree, he got beat numerous times, and it's not like hes playin against some name receivers. Parker/Caldwell??????????? Come on....
Numerous times DoCt3rJ? Aside from the slip, when was he beaten? I have the replay running now so if you could tell me the plays, I'd like to take a look at them to see what I missed while I was at the game.

Update: I just finished watching the first half and they threw at him only once - on his strip of Caldwell early in the 2nd. He missed a tackle on LTs long run but he really wasn't in position to get a clear shot at him.

Mid-3rd qtr: made a nice hit on Parker after a short 6 yd reception. Good coverage. That was right before the Caldwelll TD (the slip). On the TD, Caldwell gave him a double move just like Bennett gave Coleman last year against TN. Nearly the same exact play. Maybe opposing coaches believe our corners are easy to bite on those double moves.

On the pass interference he had good coverage. He had to make up two steps but he closed nicely and had good position just prior to the catch attempt - but he let his body drift into the receiver and used the arm bar and was caught red handed.

4th quarter -- I'm getting sick of seeing Eric Brown getting beaten by Gates. The nickel and dime coverage wasn't good today. Glenn got roasted by Parker on that last TD.

Well, that's it... I don't know what game you were watching but Robinson wasn't even thrown at that much today and by my count he was beaten once - on the TD, and he had one pass interference called on him - for coverage that was a little too good. Aaron needs to teach him to be a little sneakier with that arm bar thing...

Last edited by aj.; 09-12-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2004   #39
SESupergenius

It goes back to being a young defensive unit. They need to gel a little since they all havn't played too much together. This was a glaring weakness coming out of preseason. Our Pass defense just isn't good. Babin made some excellent plays today and for the most part our front seven play pretty good. Wongs sack put us back into the game, but Coleman got rolled on 3rd to seal it. I chalk up this loss on the secondary and the turnover ratio. The playcalling was fine. Carr didn't do well at all on the long yardage downs, his completion percentage on 3rd and long must be one of the sickest in the league. What is the cause of this?
Old 09-13-2004   #40
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
4th quarter -- I'm getting sick of seeing Eric Brown getting beaten by Gates. The nickel and dime coverage wasn't good today.

AMEN TO THAT. Brown got SMOKED, and it was obvious. Yeah, he's outsized in that matchup, but come on!
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read