Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2004   #1
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default Turnovers killed us BUT we never challenged SD secondary

We threw more to RB then trying to go deep, so their secondary knowing we weren't going to challenge them could stay at LOS and blitz more...We cost ourselves the game with short passing game and giving away the ball FOUR times...Texans BEAT themselves
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

You need your QB to make good decisions and RB to hold on to the ball. Play calling had ZERO to do with this loss.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #3
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
You need your QB to make good decisions and RB to hold on to the ball. Play calling had ZERO to do with this loss.
i completely agree, it seemed carr started pressing in the second half. he was making such good reads in the first half.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #4
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Offensive playcalling had a very small part in the loss. I cant believe they didnt test them downfield. However, when its 3rd and long and we rush a nose tackle and the two OLB's even a QB like Drew Brees is going to pick apart a secondary. Its the same problem we had last year.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #5
Jwwillis
All Pro

OMG If someone is already trying to bag Palmer for this one its got to be personal. We couldnt even beat a little league team with 4 turnovers. There were concerns going into the season with fumbles, now it is a full blown problem. Davis can run for 300yrs a game and not make up for 2 fumbles. Trouble is Hollings may be even worse in this department. Carr didn't air it out enough and when he did it seemed as if he were throwing to the defense not his receivers. I hate to say it but Carr looked average out there.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #6
FatBoyTim
Rookie

carr has really not grown in reading D's. These turnovers were completely unacceptable. SD has a bad D.
FatBoyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Stop with this turnover BUT stuff. If Carr hadn't hadn't gotten picked twice, if DD hadn't have coughed it up twice, it'd be a different story, and you'd be praising everybody.

The turnovers killed us. It's that simple.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2004   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

And what does DD coughing it up have to do with reading defenses?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #9
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyTim
carr has really not grown in reading D's. These turnovers were completely unacceptable. SD has a bad D.
Come on now, did you guys watch the game or just look at the stats, I do say wwe should have thrown deep more but thats what Im not blaming the loss on. We had turnovers, but the only unexeptable ones were the fumbles.

Now with the picks you have to go back and watch the plays over, because Im blame those on the o-line. On the first pick you can see that AJ was open and as Carr cocked his arm to throw, a defensive lineman swatted at the ball causing Carr to pump, and by the time he released the ball the DB had recoverd. Bad play, but I understand what happened. And on the last one you have to say that Carr did absolutely nothing wrong, he stood in the pocket and tryed to deliver a pass, it wasnt his fault that the line let a streaking LB get into lis line of fire. He threw the ball off blitzing LBs helmet.

I think Carr played well, just look at the completion percentage and yardage. he didnt throw the deep ball, but he threw good passes to open receivers and really didnt force anything.

Carr was 19/25 for 76% completions with 229 yards . I think thats pretty good,and without the 2 o-line lapses, he would have had a great game.
Old 09-12-2004   #10
FatBoyTim
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Stop with this turnover BUT stuff. If Carr hadn't hadn't gotten picked twice, if DD hadn't have coughed it up twice, it'd be a different story, and you'd be praising everybody.

The turnovers killed us. It's that simple.
are you kidding me? IF the queen had balls she'd be king too! That is a freaking joke reply
Old 09-12-2004   #11
FatBoyTim
Rookie

did you see carr last pick? a floater that was in the air for 5 seconds on a deep corner route. that was a bad bad throw into double coverage
Old 09-12-2004   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The interceptions were both directly related to the SD pass rush. But in general the Offense moved the ball well in the first 3 quarters. Don't know
'bout the last couple drives - maybe Carr was losing his cool, maybe SD is
better in the clutch than people give them credit for - hope so. Course DD fumbling when he did at the end of the game is a killer.
But the big dissapointment is, obviously, the D. Rookie Babin was impressive
but one really has to question the wisdom of starting Robinson in the opener. That's easy to say now, but someone really overrated his readiness.
It's a bummer - I thought we might overcome the turnovers, but we're just not good enought to do that. Back to the drawing board for the Detroit.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #13
SDBoltz
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz
Default go boltz

well i'll say this without the turnovers there is no guarantee you would score... you would have had to make a long field goal b4 half. one fumble may have tied the game when it was in the red zone... but what about hte pick we should have had to negate your field goal either way you would have lost by 3. the other turnovers werent even in scoring range. and marty ball is all about holding on to the football pounding the run and taking the football away. we stuck to our game and it worked out just give credit to a team that beat you. good game
SDBoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #14
SDBoltz
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz
Default go bolts

and to me reliant stadium didnt seem that loud i could always hear the referees a couple of flase starts more so of not knowing the count than crowd noise. it was loud of course at times but nothing extrodinary likei n kc or denver
Old 09-12-2004   #15
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

They werent in scoring range but the way we were moving the ball they COULD have been points. Thats why turnovers are a BAD thing. Following me? People lose games because of turnovers and we had 4. If we had won that game than SD would be in alot of trouble.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #16
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBoltz
well i'll say this without the turnovers there is no guarantee you would score... you would have had to make a long field goal b4 half. one fumble may have tied the game when it was in the red zone... but what about hte pick we should have had to negate your field goal either way you would have lost by 3. the other turnovers werent even in scoring range. and marty ball is all about holding on to the football pounding the run and taking the football away. we stuck to our game and it worked out just give credit to a team that beat you. good game

Calm down man, youre getting a little ahead of yourself. Yes the team that played the best won today but I dont think the better team won. If we didnt commit the turnovers the game would have most likely ben the Texans, SD score 14 points off 4 turnovers so even if we didnt score on any of our drives that we turned the ball over on(which we would have because our offense was not being stopped) we still would have had yal by 7.
Old 09-12-2004   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBoltz
and to me reliant stadium didnt seem that loud i could always hear the referees a couple of flase starts more so of not knowing the count than crowd noise. it was loud of course at times but nothing extrodinary likei n kc or denver
you're watching it on tv. the sound is muffled to make the commentators audible.
Old 09-12-2004   #18
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Turnovers happen...I'm not going to dwell on them. Babin looked good. Robinson got burnt on one big TD, but overall didn't look too bad. Brown's lack of coverage skills showed today, but what really got to me was the lack of sacks. We had very little pressure on Brees the whole game. If Brees was that good against us since he had that much time to throw, imagine what QB's like McNair, Manning, Favre, and even Leftwich could do to us. I sure hope this improves, because if it doesn't, this is going to be a long year.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #19
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

A week or so ago, I said we would have to out score the other team, because we had a questionable defense this year. I would say that that is the case. We turned the ball over in the 1st year, but we would still stop the other teams. I believe we had one sack and I don't believe Brees was really pressured. There's no question turning the ball over 4 times is bad, but part of that is pressure from a lack of defense in that you press when you really shouldn't. You feel you have to score on every possession, because your defense can't stop the other team. Essentially every time we scored they countered with a score. The last fumble by DD was in a pressure situation. I'm not condoning it, but he's trying to get the extra yards for a 1st down and perhaps breaking it for a TD. We were at the 4 minute mark and down by 7. We had to score or else and the game was on the line. It was that simple. Even if we score SD would have had another opportunity with the ball. When you don't test the secondary, you allow the other team to gang up on you. There's no question that SD was ball hunting in that situation. Too bad, but I really don't see anything different from last year as far as the play calling is concerned. AJ and DD are average receivers and running backs. Yes, they get their yards and receptions, but they aren't really a threat. Some of you will be all over me for these statements, but I think I'm being realistic. I wish it were different. Hollings is a non factor as are our other receivers. We were suppose to have so many receiving threats, but they dissapear at game time. I don't know whether that is play calling, bad route running, or lack of vision by the QB or all of the above. I think Capers better revisit his defensive and offensive schemes otherwise it will be a very long year. I said earlier in the year we had not recovered defensively from last year's injuries and I stand by that. I thought we were put back to square one and I continue to hold that opinion. The injuries are not the fault of management, but I believe they have placed too much hope and optomisum in injured retuning players.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #20
SDBoltz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
A week or so ago, I said we would have to out score the other team, because we had a questionable defense this year. I would say that that is the case. We turned the ball over in the 1st year, but we would still stop the other teams. I believe we had one sack and I don't believe Brees was really pressured. There's no question turning the ball over 4 times is bad, but part of that is pressure from a lack of defense in that you press when you really shouldn't. You feel you have to score on every possession, because your defense can't stop the other team. Essentially every time we scored they countered with a score. The last fumble by DD was in a pressure situation. I'm not condoning it, but he's trying to get the extra yards for a 1st down and perhaps breaking it for a TD. We were at the 4 minute mark and down by 7. We had to score or else and the game was on the line. It was that simple. Even if we score SD would have had another opportunity with the ball. When you don't test the secondary, you allow the other team to gang up on you. There's no question that SD was ball hunting in that situation. Too bad, but I really don't see anything different from last year as far as the play calling is concerned. AJ and DD are average receivers and running backs. Yes, they get their yards and receptions, but they aren't really a threat. Some of you will be all over me for these statements, but I think I'm being realistic. I wish it were different. Hollings is a non factor as are our other receivers. We were suppose to have so many receiving threats, but they dissapear at game time. I don't know whether that is play calling, bad route running, or lack of vision by the QB or all of the above. I think Capers better revisit his defensive and offensive schemes otherwise it will be a very long year. I said earlier in the year we had not recovered defensively from last year's injuries and I stand by that. I thought we were put back to square one and I continue to hold that opinion. The injuries are not the fault of management, but I believe they have placed too much hope and optomisum in injured retuning players.

i disagree i think AJ is a monster but his route running sucks at least it did today even on that crossing pattern he ran it was still not crisp. I think your play calling was awful considering we gave up 36 passing td's last year. alot of them on sammy davis who was matched up against AJ i woulda liked to see sammy tested deep because he did well at the end of last year against the deep ball and showed he was learning as a rookie

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read