Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2006   #1
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default Camp: Saturday 8/5

Chris Taylor and Antowain Smith received most of the first team reps. Morency mostly played on the second team. Taylor looked less than a hundred percent.

Seth Wand was receiving most of the first team reps at LT. I may yet end up eating crow about the guy after all.

Robaire Smith took a lot of first team reps at DT today, in place of Seth Payne.

Kevin Walter made a really good grab across the middle. I think he'll easily secure our 3rd WR slot; pretty much what we hoped for and expected.

Spencer and Babin were having at it again -- no fight, but it looks like they've got an ongoing battle. Nothing to worry about though; I like to see the fire myself.

Pitts and Spencer make for a dominating left side for the running game.

Our secondary was really struggling today. Our safeties having trouble staying up top. DeMeco looks really good at MLB and remains first team and our probable starter.

Our first team defensive line is still really strong.

Carr was staring down Andre a little too much but for the most part looked good. The TE underneath across the middle continues to dominate, as does the quick slant.

Joppru
looked good today but dropped one sure pass. He's getting involved and IMO will challenge for 2nd TE spot.

Practice looked somewhat sloppy today, but the heat was absolutely oppressive, so I can chalk it up to that in part.

Man zones and zone dogs/blitzes are looking good on D. Liked the TE up the seam against Cover 2. Playcalling continues to impress.

Short update, so I apologize. Anyone else who was there, feel free to add.

Last edited by jerek; 08-05-2006 at 12:27 PM.
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #2
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Thanks again for the scoop. When you say Taylor was less than a hundred percent, do you mean he wasn't at the top of his game, he looked dinged, or both? How is Weary filling in for McKinney at RG? Also, nobody has mentioned our FB's much, is Jameel Cook getting any touches in 11 on 11's?
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #3
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
Thanks again for the scoop. When you say Taylor was less than a hundred percent, do you mean he wasn't at the top of his game, he looked dinged, or both? How is Weary filling in for McKinney at RG? Also, nobody has mentioned our FB's much, is Jameel Cook getting any touches in 11 on 11's?
Weary looked overmatched at times, but he is often going up against either Mario or Weaver, so maybe that's to be expected. I'm not sure what Taylor's deal is; he looked like he was limping slightly on Thursday, so not sure if he's got an injury or was just sort of out of it. He just looked 90%ish to me today, whatever the reason. Either way I liked that he was receiving so many of the first team reps. Our FBs rarely if ever run the ball but do go out for passes.
Old 08-05-2006   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you got about everything I saw wrapped up jerek. IMO, this was the hottest practice so far. I was close to leaving about 30 mins in to it, but it stayed pretty cloudy after that.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #5
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
I think you got about everything I saw wrapped up jerek. IMO, this was the hottest practice so far. I was close to leaving about 30 mins in to it, but it stayed pretty cloudy after that.
Definitely the hottest yet.
Old 08-05-2006   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek

Our secondary was really struggling today.

Joppru looked good today but dropped one sure pass. He's getting involved and IMO will challenge for 2nd TE spot.
Lewis Sanders and Dexter McCleon running first team corners was a bit scary.

Joppru more than made up for the drop with a beautiful diving catch in the endzone near the end of practice.

Get used to TEs lining up at fullback ... not H-back ... fullback.

It's only a matter of time until Spencer is our starting left tackle.

Carr pulled the defense offsides several times today (Babin twice) with a hard count.

I like what I'm seeing out of John Walker so far.

Charlie Anderson got most of the first team reps at Sam with Orr out.

Flanagan sat out this morning. Hodgdon can't handle Robaire and/or Weaver.

Owen Daniels appears to have the knack for finding the soft spots in the zone. He has good hands and some quicks.

I posted somewhere on another board that we will have a top-ten defensive line which caught some immediate ridicule. We have a very good 7 man rotation with Mario, Kalu, Robaire, Weaver, Payne, Babin, and Peek. Sprinkle in the aggressiveness of Richard Smith and I haven't seen anything like this since House of Pain, Buddy or Fisher. There are going to be a lot of stops for loss or no gain this year BUT there will be problems when the offense attacks the second and third tier. Our defense will make a lot of big plays - in terms of QB pressures, losses, no-gains - but they will also give up some big plays over the top or whenever the opponent is able to breach the first wave.

Last edited by aj.; 08-05-2006 at 12:37 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #7
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Long distance thank you from Corpus on TC updates. I hate hearing the bad reports on the secondary though but I just hope that the D-line can make their jobs easier with an effective pass rush.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2006   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

I posted somewhere on another board that we will have a top-ten defensive line which caught some immediate ridicule. We have a very good 7 man rotation with Mario, Kalu, Robaire, Weaver, Payne, Babin, and Peek. Sprinkle in the aggressiveness of RIchard Smith and I haven't seen anything like this since House of Pain. There are going to be a lot of stops for loss or no gain this year BUT the problem is when the runner/receiver gets into the second and third tier. Our defense will make a lot of big plays - in terms of QB pressures, losses, no-gains - but they will also give up some big plays over the top or whenever the opponent is able to breach the first wave.
Aj don't tease me.. I am thinking Sean Jones,Ray Childress,Doug Smith and William Fuller .. when I read that
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #9
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Aj don't tease me.. I am thinking Sean Jones,Ray Childress,Doug Smith and William Fuller .. when I read that
He's not teasing. Dead serious. Our defensive line is going to be top-10 -- I daresay top-5 -- this year.

Really good update, aj, you covered some of the things I left out.
Old 08-05-2006   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

In terms of investment, both money and draft picks, we should have top 10 DL. I am glad to see that the early reports are that the Return on Investment is looking good.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's not teasing. Dead serious. Our defensive line is going to be top-10 -- I daresay top-5 -- this year.

Really good update, aj, you covered some of the things I left out.

on a side note and I realize it takes a unit to make a good OL, but have y'all seen any offensive lineman be consistant? as far as holding their own?

granted a player is going to be beat a time or two,but any o-lineman standing out?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
In terms of investment, both money and draft picks, we should have top 10 DL.
I was about to say - and I often do (the people who I talk to are sick of hearing it) we SHOULD have a Top 10 d-line because they are one of the highest paid d-lines in the league.
Old 08-05-2006   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

So Jerek or AJ , who is the steal of the draft in your respective opinions ? If you count Joppru as a 1st year player , how does it make this years group ?
Old 08-05-2006   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

The steals of this year's draft? I'd have to say Spencer and Winston at the start of the 3rd round.
Old 08-05-2006   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[b]
Seth Wand was receiving most of the first team reps at LT. I may yet end up eating crow about the guy after all.
Spencer and Babin were having at it again -- no fight, but it looks like they've got an ongoing battle. Nothing to worry about though; I like to see the fire myself.
So with Wand getting most of the reps at LT with the first team, and Babin and Spencer mixing it up some more, does that mean that Babin was with the second unit today ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #16
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

I have a feeling that were going to be one of the best DL. Glad to see we have got some fire on the team.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #17
kikiscafe
Rookie

Quote:Kevin Walter made a really good grab across the middle. I think he'll easily secure our 3rd WR slot; pretty much what we hoped for and expected.

Jerek, with the addition of Kevin Walter, do you think it is an upgrade over what his name that signed with the Philly? (seriously, I totally forgot his name)

Thanks for all the info during TC
kikiscafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Joppru looked good today but dropped one sure pass. He's getting involved and IMO will challenge for 2nd TE spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Joppru more than made up for the drop with a beautiful diving catch in the endzone near the end of practice.
Scuttlebutt is that Joppru's speed and good hands are catching the attention of the right people. The coaches haven't had to get on him much. They've addressed the occasional technique issue, which I guess is to be expected after a 3 year lay-off. Joppru seems very excited to be on the field.

He was a second round pick; he could be a strong part of the offense for a few years.

Last edited by Runner; 08-05-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Looks like giving up a 7th round pick for Walter was a steal.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiscafe
Quote:Kevin Walter made a really good grab across the middle. I think he'll easily secure our 3rd WR slot; pretty much what we hoped for and expected.

Jerek, with the addition of Kevin Walter, do you think it is an upgrade over what his name that signed with the Philly? (seriously, I totally forgot his name)

Thanks for all the info during TC
Gaffney?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read